do you have to take armor saves

AdeptiCon 2011 will be held April 1st - 3rd, 2011 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL. Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) and start planning today!

do you have to take armor saves

Postby stinger989 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:11 pm

after reading the rule book and playing in the last Tourny they ruled that if someone shoots at a unit or assaults at a unit you can choose if you want to take your armor saves.

In the main rule book it says you "may" choose to take your armor saves so according to the english you can choose if you pass or fail.

Is this how adepticon is going to go with the ruling, you can choose to pass or fail your armor saves? thats how the ruling is going in the tournment i was just wondering about the adepticon facts.

THANKS,

IVIOOSE
stinger989

Postby Bon_Vivant » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:37 pm

IVIOOSE,

This is not an offical reply.

You are bat-sh*t insane if you actually belive that you "may" allways make an armour save.

This is why I cannot and will not play rules idiots.
Bon_Vivant

Postby DragonBait » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:51 pm

I think he means that you can choose whether or not you want to even attempt to make an armor save. I've had situations where I've wanted a unit to die from shooting....still kinda silly though
"What's you're job?"
"Oh, I'm retired now. I invented dice when I was a kid."
DragonBait

Postby Crumpsky » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:32 pm

Its not silly, sometimes it may be a big time game decision. And Bon_Vivant you should learn to read before posting a lame reply. His intention was not to argue that he can always take saves, he was arguing if he had to take them.

Hopefully someone who knows the answer will post it soon.
Crumpsky

Postby DragonBait » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:12 pm

Sorry I wasn't clear either. I meant silly in that a soldier with armor will try to take a bullet lol.
"What's you're job?"
"Oh, I'm retired now. I invented dice when I was a kid."
DragonBait

Postby seahawk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:46 pm

I think it can be countered by pg 24: "In these cases, the model only ever gets to make one saving throw, but it has the advantage of always using the best available save."
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby stinger989 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:52 pm

It just came up in the last tournment i was in and after shooting at a unit he just removed models so i would not be able to charge him. the tournment organizers ruled that you could just let them die as it states "may" as in you can choose if they just die.

I would just like to get a clarification before adepticon so i wont have to spend time getting a judge over.....

It is rather silly but that is how the rule book is written.
stinger989

Postby n00bzilla99 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:40 pm

You must always make an armor save. The BRB states "In these cases, the model only ever gets to make one saving throw, but it has the advantage of always using the best available save."

While it's under the "Multiple saves" heading, it effectively states that, if you have a save, you must take the best one you can. Which is a sweeping statement. Because if you only have 1 save, you must still take it because it is the best save available.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby RAMSEY » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:41 pm

After re-re-reading through the BRB I found no place that you "must" roll for a save. If you find the page number please post it.

I did find under Remove Caualties pg.24 first sentence says "For every model that fails a save, the unit suffers a wound.". So if the player did not save or unsave any wounds, how could he take off any models?
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LEGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
No wait! That doesn't sound right.
RUMRUNNERS Gaming Group
Nephilim Jet Fighter…….. What’s it fighting?.... BALLOONS!
RAMSEY

Postby Bon_Vivant » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:53 pm

I apologize.
I stand corrected. Good luck.
Bon_Vivant

Postby n00bzilla99 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:23 pm

Ramsey:

Please see the above post:
I think it can be countered by pg 24: "In these cases, the model only ever gets to make one saving throw, but it has the advantage of always using the best available save."
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby RAMSEY » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:48 am

AdeptusBrewCityJoe wrote:Ramsey:

Please see the above post:

I still don't see the word "must" anywhere in that. Give me a page number that states "must" take a save.

Either way the guy cannot remove models without at least trying to make a save.
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
RUMRUNNERS Gaming Group
RAMSEY

Postby seahawk » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:21 am

Hint: always can stand for must :P
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby RAMSEY » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:05 pm

seahawk wrote:Hint: always can stand for must :P

No it does not. Typing " but it has the advantage of always using the best available save" says an advantage can be taken. Still does not mean "must". :P
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
RUMRUNNERS Gaming Group
RAMSEY

Postby seahawk » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:24 pm

No it doesn't.

Saying "A model has the advantage of" is completely different from "A model can take advantage of."

In the first (as it is in the book) a model has it, and because it has it, it must always use (which is equivalent to "always use") the best one. In the second a model can use it, but doesn't have to. The rule doesn't say anything about "can," only that it "has and always."
seahawk

Next

Return to AdeptiCon 2011