Wolf Claws question

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Wolf Claws question

Postby JonnyP » Sun May 23, 2010 2:53 pm

Why would someone want to pay for two Wolf Claws? Just for the 2nd attack? Couldn't you just use your cc weapon as that same second attack....

OR, if you have two Wolf Claws can you use one to reroll missed hits and one to reroll missed wounds?
JonnyP

Postby RAMSEY » Sun May 23, 2010 3:24 pm

I would ask who would want to play Wolves in the first place? :lol:
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LEGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
No wait! That doesn't sound right.
RUMRUNNERS Gaming Group
Nephilim Jet Fighter…….. What’s it fighting?.... BALLOONS!
RAMSEY

Postby Redbeard » Sun May 23, 2010 5:46 pm

As Lightning Claws, wolf claws only get the bonus attack if you have two of them. Codex Space Wolves, Page 60, and Main Rulebook page 42.

Besides, it looks more like Wolverine to have two claws than one.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby JonnyP » Sun May 23, 2010 6:38 pm

Redbeard wrote:As Lightning Claws, wolf claws only get the bonus attack if you have two of them. Codex Space Wolves, Page 60, and Main Rulebook page 42.

Besides, it looks more like Wolverine to have two claws than one.

That makes sense. snickety snickety snoich!
JonnyP

Postby BrentS » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:20 pm

Sorry for resurrecting an older thread but I was going to ask a similar question so I'll just attach it here.

If you equip a SW with a pair of Wolf Claws then you can get a bonus attack (for the pair) and you can declare both re-roll misses and re-roll wounds, right?

So having said that, do people generally think its better to take a pair of claws for Wolf Guard Terminators or a single Wolf Claw and a Stormbolter?
BrentS

Postby Redbeard » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:41 pm

BrentS wrote:If you equip a SW with a pair of Wolf Claws then you can get a bonus attack (for the pair) and you can declare both re-roll misses and re-roll wounds, right?

Incorrect. If you have a wolf claw, you get to pick whether you re-roll wounds or to-hit. The second wolf claw doesn't give you the other of these, it only gives you +1 attack.

The main reason for this is that you cannot get the benefits of a second close combat weapon, you have to choose one or the other, even if the second CCW is the same as the first.

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby BrentS » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:06 pm

Redbeard wrote:
BrentS wrote:If you equip a SW with a pair of Wolf Claws then you can get a bonus attack (for the pair) and you can declare both re-roll misses and re-roll wounds, right?

Incorrect. If you have a wolf claw, you get to pick whether you re-roll wounds or to-hit. The second wolf claw doesn't give you the other of these, it only gives you +1 attack.

The main reason for this is that you cannot get the benefits of a second close combat weapon, you have to choose one or the other, even if the second CCW is the same as the first.

I guess that makes sense. I'm still left wondering if the extra attack is worth giving up the stormbolter.
BrentS

Postby Redbeard » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:38 pm

I'd generally say yes. If you've got a CC character, he can run instead of shooting, and a stormbolter isn't a hugely scary weapon, whereas an extra attack, with a re-roll, can be the difference between winning or tying a combat, or stack an extra -1 Ld on your opponent's morale test.

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby BrentS » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:28 pm

Great, thanks for the advice. I might go ahead and swap my list around a little bit. For what it's worth, I'm mixing and matching various terminator builds for my wolf guard pack so the whole unit might not be equipped the same way.

Also, I'm building a list and collecting more so for fun compared trying to maximize and destroy.
BrentS

Postby CmdrVimes » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:28 am

What is often done is to take the wolf claws and match the squad with IC like a wolf priest who can give a re-roll to hit then take the re-roll to would and you can roll both.
Len C.
CmdrVimes

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)