Thunderwolf Base Size

AdeptiCon 2011 will be held April 1st - 3rd, 2011 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL. Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) and start planning today!

Thunderwolf Base Size

Postby Oni » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:16 pm

As GW produces neither Fenrisian wolves or thunderwolf cavarly there is no offical model or associated base size. This is potentially problematic as player may not agree on what size to use.

Canis uses a 60mm base however he is a special character, he however is not a thunderwolf unit member.

As Thunderwolves and Fenrisian models are cavarly type do they use a standard bike/cav base?

There is a substancial footprint when using models on a 60mm base that can be exploited to control a much larger area of table particuarly when used as a unit.

Would it make sense to have an offical ruling on the "correct" base size of these units set in place ahead of the tournament?
Oni

Postby Crumpsky » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:26 pm

I was always under the impression that you use the base size they give you. Canis is the only model out with a thunderwolf mount and comes with a 60mm base so other characters mounted on TWC would use that.

However, INAT could have a different view.
Crumpsky

Postby Oni » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:33 pm

The bike base is 25mm wide (1 in), the "60mm" dreadnought/canis base is actually 65mm wide/across (2 in).

5 unit set of bike bases blocks off a space 125mm (5 in) if placed all in contact with each other.

5 unit size of dread bases blocks off a space of 325mm (12.5 in) if in contact with each other.

A unit of dread bases controls aproximately an area 2.5 times the width of bike bases, that a huge advantage when contesting table space and also blocking line of sight inorder to grant cover to other units.
Oni

Postby brendan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:32 pm

We ran thunderwolf cav at adepticon last year on 60mm bases and wolves on 40 rounds.

Brendan
brendan

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:37 pm

I've been using fenrisian wolves on 40mm bases too - reason being the studio staff did it that way. This is probably the most vague - there haven't been any "official" models on this.

I agree with the Thunderwolves being on 65mm ones since Canis is on it. The larger base size can be a bad thing sometime... harder to hide behind vehicles or terrain as well as easier to clip with templates.

Cheers,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Mine

Postby Darth Vader » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:06 pm

Mine are mounted on the 60mm bases :cry: and I do not like them. Would rather them be mounted on bike bases...
"The ability to speak does not make one intelligent" Qui Gon Jinn - Episode 1
www.gwrulz.weebly.com
Darth Vader

Location: I was in the Death Star but some @#$& teenagers blew it up, TWICE!

Postby yakface » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:21 am

The official stance is that without there being an official model you are free to put your Thunderwolf Cavalry on whatever sized base is appropriate for the model.

With that said, the INAT FAQ has the overall proviso against modeling for advantage. If it appears to the opinion of the tournament organizer that you have specifically chosen a base size in order to manipulate the game's rules then you may end up being penalized.

The best rule of thumb is that if you've chosen Wolves that are roughly the same size as the one presented by Games Workshop and you've chosen bases that appropriately fit the model then you are almost certainly fine.

However, if you have any concerns then you need to bring it up ahead of time via Adepticon's model policy (which I believe the deadline has passed already, but I would go read it if I were you).

Long story short: 40mm bases should be fine as long as the models appropriately fit on them and the models themselves aren't ridiculously converted to gain a gaming advantage.
yakface

TWC Bases

Postby tmalave » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:37 pm

That's correct, if one is using the Canis model for Wolf Lords and the Mr. Dandy TWC models than using the 60mm round bases would not be a problem. I've been using them for almost a year and I have never been questioned.
tmalave

Return to AdeptiCon 2011