Sunday Championship Yellow Error

AdeptiCon 2010 will be held March 26th-28th, 2010 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL. Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) and start planning today!

Sunday Championship Yellow Error

Postby TimSchmidt » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:17 pm

It has come to my attention that people have become upset with me. I must apologize for making a mistake in the championship tournament , after playing 8 games with four missile launchers in each the gladiator and team tournament, I mistakenly played with 4 missile launcher instead of 3 in the championship yellow division. It’s a long week end and by no means did I mean to cheat anybody. For this reason I will be forfeiting my spot to the Vegas GT. Again I apologize to all my opponents and to the staff at Adepticon.

Tim Schmidt
TimSchmidt

Postby knitemare » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:16 pm

Wow...seriously? That's really gracious of you and all, but should it be up to organizers whether or not you have to pull out? Did the mistake make that much of a difference? If so, then I guess I understand. If the outcome would have been the same regardless, then this might be a bit rash.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby Matthias » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:27 pm

Tim,

I think this is the right thing to do. While I have massive issues with the filming of your game and the intentions/motivations of Tastytasty from Blood of Kittens - there is a type of justice that needs to be applied here and I think this goes a long way in addressing it.
Real battles are fought in 6mm!
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby jon.wolf » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:54 pm

Tim,

Way to rise above it all. If you're interested in taking another shot at a Vegas entry, you have free entry for yourself and a travelling companion to BoLSCon on July 29- Aug 1 in Austin. Whatever issues anyone might have with you, showing this level of sportsmanship is a credit to the hobby.

Best Regards,

Jon Wolf
Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene
jon.wolf

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:12 pm

I think it's Bull for Tim to forfit. I myself have made that mistake over Adepticon weekend. Sometimes it works the other way where I play with 3 missiles, buy the 4th on the 3rd day and forget that I have 4. No one is going to give me an auto-win for those games.

How many other people during the massive 240 player tournament misplayed their armies that day? How many of them took a win away or gave someone a win? Will we have to go back through all 240 lists and find every mistake? A mistake in round 1 could have changed the entire outcome of the event just as much as a mistake in round 3.

Is this being done because the benificiaries of the change had dinner with Hank Sunday night? Access is everything in Chicago. Don't tell me about getting it right. Getting it right would require a videotape of every game to make sure someone was railroaded in round 1 who might have won the whole thing.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby n00bzilla99 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Tim, your online reputation and integrity has been pretty much attacked on a massive scale. Looking at this blood kittens website, people have said nasty things...

I feel really bad about this, because Tim made an honest mistake, I'm sure of it. He played in the Gladiator and TT (12 games!!) with 4 missile launchers so he made an honest mistake.

People commented that your Sportsmanship score was lowest in the tournament... this made me mad because our TT score was really low as well, why? Because 1 jerk, in one game of one round dinged us full sportsmanship (and comp) because I dared to call a judge a couple of times.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby artificer » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:42 pm

Generalissimo_Fred wrote:I think it's Bull for Tim to forfit...
Is this being done because the benificiaries of the change had dinner with Hank Sunday night? Access is everything in Chicago. Don't tell me about getting it right. Getting it right would require a videotape of every game to make sure someone was railroaded in round 1 who might have won the whole thing.

Seriously dude?!?
What evidence do you have that this has ANYTHING to do with the adepticon staff? Aren't you doing exactly what Blood of Kittens is doing and jumping to wild conclusions based on the scantest of (ie ANY) evidence???

Where is the trace of ANYONE other than Tim (who deserves some props for taking the high road here) doing anything?

Why not let the drama die with Tim's act of contrition/settling/making-right/justice/whatever-the-hell-you-wanna-call-it here.

Slinging mud with no justification just asses up Tim's peace-making.
Only the Dead Have Seen The End Of War
- Plato

'07 TT - No More Kicking
'08 TT - Casus Belli
'09 TT - Cede Malis
'10 Paint Judging and Terrain Monkey
artificer

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Tim - that is pretty gracious of you, I just don't think it's needed.

People make mistakes and this by far wasn't a dramatic one. Malicious cheating is a whole different story.

Sorry you're getting hammered over the internet.

BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby n00bzilla99 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:02 pm

Cptn_Snuggles wrote:Tim - that is pretty gracious of you, I just don't think it's needed.

People make mistakes and this by far wasn't a dramatic one. Malicious cheating is a whole different story.

Sorry you're getting hammered over the internet.

BC

They allege that Tim knowingly cheated on a Fall Back move (when the move in question was not contested by his opponent, nor did they crack open a rulebook or call a judge even though Tim offered)

They allege Tim took extra inches with a Rhino, even though he moved 12" then moved it BACKWARDS when he decided not to move it so far.

and finally they alleged that Tim knowingly tried to add a 4th missile launcher, and this is clearly a mistake on Tim's part, considering his list for the previous 8 games had used one.

It's pretty BS that he's being so hammered on the internet, when clearly he isn't the cheater they make him out to be.

EDIT: I seriously hope that AdeptiCon 2011 will reconsider it's stance on gamers filming individual matches for their entirety, and change it so that people are not allowed to do things such as this, filming a game and posting it all over the internet. I have since spoken to Tim, and he told me that he wasn't very pleased that his match was filmed and was uncomfortable the entire game while being filmed. I do not mind passing glances for people who wish to take v-log's and notice a cool army, but people who wish to film entire games should not be allowed to do so.
Last edited by n00bzilla99 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:08 pm

@Fred- That is a crass and cowardly accusation to make against the guy who selflessly helps organize this whole thing. Do you have even the slightest proof or evidence about this kind of behind-the-scenes collusion?

Try to be an adult with class and don't make accusations without some kind of proof.
Anaxagoras

Postby khornelord0129 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:31 pm

Tim,
I don't know who you are, but i just want to say one thing. Good for you for standing up and taking account for your actions and being the better man. The people whom are bashing you on your reputation need to look at the present and see what no one else in any of the other tournament all weekend did, call yourself out and say you cheated by complete mistake.

What you do for a punishment to yourself is completly your decision. You embodie what we all need to be and what we need to do, and that is be better sportsmen (or women) that will make this hobby greater than any other. So whatever happens i want to let you know that you have my utmost respect for stepping up and being accountable.

Chris
khornelord0129

Postby jon.wolf » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:01 pm

Generalissimo Fred -

I believe the beneficiary of Tim's decline of an entry, if there is one, would be Jon Willingham, who placed 3rd in the Yellow Bracket and was not at dinner Sunday night. I had dinner with Hank, just like we planned weeks ahead of time. We talked primarily about what a big success the event was, and I asked a lot of nuts and bolts questions about new additions to the tournament and the smaller events. I had no discussion with Hank about any games I didn't play in (we did talk about my team's massive choking against the Toledo bunch on Saturday in round 3 of the TT) or anything about the championships other than the logistics of getting that many sets of results processed in a timely fashion.

I can also say that no one in my group asked for anything to be changed, and that I am probably right behind Matthias in irritation over the whole tastytaste video nonsense. I hate kangaroo courts, I hate kibitzers and armchair quarterbacks, and I'm a firm believer that once the dice are down, the game is over. I do believe that my club member, Nick Rose, should have called a judge at points during the game with Tim if he felt uncomfortable about a rules call or anything that was happening at the table, and had he done so, all this second guessing nonsense would not be happening. I feel it is incumbent on players to call judges if something doesn't feel right, if only to have the final result not get this sort of after-the-fact treatment.

I think Tim's reaction is his choice, and I think he's demonstrated by his reaction that he's a far better sportsman than all the internet BS tries to paint him. I'm not certain I would be nearly as gracious in his shoes.
Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene
jon.wolf

Postby chicagophil » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:41 am

Tim - may you have many more attempts at Vegas! you are a real stand up guy.

Sorry the crud hit the fan. Gl getting to Vegas.
chicagophil

Postby VirusSD1 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:01 am

Tim I can understand the mistake and I think you're taking the high road in bowing out of Vegas. I can say I had an enjoyable game in 3rd round of the team tournament and would look forward to playing you again.

@AdeptusBrewCityJoe

People commented that your Sportsmanship score was lowest in the tournament... this made me mad because our TT score was really low as well, why? Because 1 jerk, in one game of one round dinged us full sportsmanship (and comp) because I dared to call a judge a couple of times.

Let me preface this by saying I did not play the game against you however I was playing your fellow teammates right beside. In the game you call bs for Sportsmanship you seemed to be giving as much grief as you were getting. Also from a couple questions my teammates asked me during the game seemed pretty basic and should be rather common knowledge to most 40k players. Just remember you may not of been the only one who didn't have an enjoyable game due to the rules disputes.
VirusSD1

Postby Elthniar » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:35 am

Tim,

Way to take the high road. I know you would not have cheated intentionally, and I am sorry there are people out there who choose to slander your name over the internet. I personally think that it shows a complete lack of courage on their part to complain over the internet, after the event is over, rather than address the issue with you right there in person. You, however, have once again shown your class and dignity by rising above all this and holding yourself accountable for what I deem to be a completely honest and insignificant mistake. I hope other people can take an example from you about how the game should be played. It is not about videotaping and scrutinizing every move caught on camera after the game. This is not an event on ESPN. There are no officials refereeing each event. Judges are available for a reason. If an issue arises in a game, they are there to help. Posting a video and complaining about it like little girls does not help anyone, and does not help our hobby. Let's not forget that we are pushing toy soldiers around on a tabletop. While I think it is very noble of you, Tim, to forfeit your spot, I do not think it necessary. I sincerely hope this is not the direction our hobby is headed. As has been stated already, taking random video samples or random pictures of the event is fine (I still asked my opponents permission to take pictures during our games). Videotaping a game in its entirety is not.

Once again, I applaud you for taking the high road. You are a high class guy, and you have a lot of character. I hope others out there take this as an example and we stop this kind of thing before it gets started. Best of luck earning another spot to Vegas, you certainly deserve one.

-Mitch Tucker
Elthniar

Next

Return to AdeptiCon 2010