The apparently pretty good hotel hallway food.

AdeptiCon 2010 will be held March 26th-28th, 2010 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL. Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) and start planning today!

The apparently pretty good hotel hallway food.

Postby Ed » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:12 am

EDIT: Most people seemed to like the hallway food, so consider what follows the rants of a crazy person who was grumpy from lack of sleep.

Much like last year, the pricing on the hotel food was excellent. The quality, unfortunately, was not. The buns for the hotdogs and hamburgers were stale. The hotdogs served friday afternoon were utterly disgusting (waterlogged like they had been boiled for a day then reheated). The hamburger patties were cold. The salads looked good.

I know that cooking a large amount of food and then keeping it at edible temperature isn't the easiest thing, but something went very very wrong between last year and this year. I don't think a three dollar hotdog is really breaking anyone's bank, so one then has to wonder why contraband food was so prevalent.
Last edited by Ed on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed

Postby RichN » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:46 am

I had lunch on Saturday and Sunday & found the food to price ratio to be acceptable for convention fare. Actually liked the spaghetti on Sunday.

Anyone else have reports from Friday?
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby knitemare » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:54 pm

Last year I became ill after eating the "line" food. This year I stuck to eating at Holy Maceral! and the mall, except Saturday lunch. I feel just fine. Oh, and if you've never had the Fish and Chips at Holy Maceral! you should try them next year, FANTASTIC!

I had a hot dog and chicken strips on Saturday. The bun was a little stale, but I ate at 1pm and I expect it had been out since 11:30 or 12. The hot dog and chicken were fine though.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby Lordgoober » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:09 pm

Yeah, I took a risk (my health hasn't been the greatest for the last 4-5 months) and tried the chicken and it wasn't bad and it didn't make me go kablooey. I do agree the fish and chips which I tried last year was excellent.
Lordgoober

Postby moonshadow13 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:37 pm

I usually just ate whatever i felt was the safest at the time. They were serving coke products only for awhile and lets just say they are not my choice. I had the 2 differnt varieties of hot dogs (as i had not time otherwise with less thatn 20 minutes after i was cleaned up at my table)and they had an effect on me in a differnt way too. All was bad.

I use the word (explosive) and leave the rest alone. As a person who works in Food R&D that was not a sanitary food setting at all.

1) Sitting out in the open air uncovered with the outside doors opening and closing near by I can tell you added extra flavor to that food. You all got some special flavoring that i am sure many of you were feeling that don't have iron clad guts.

2) I watched the food preperation and several people did not use gloves and handled money (the dirtiest thing in the world) prior to putting buns in the open containers. I did question them and they were not happy with me.

3) As food was sitting in luke warm heated water or out on a plate i am not surprized about some of the people i talked too results from it either.

4) Its one thing to be out there for 30 minutes. Its another to have stuff sitting out in the open for hours and as the water is evaporating out of them and they are turing rubbery and slimly. That they still considered it exceptible by their standards to place on top of your food to eat.

My suggestion? A covered buffet table with covered binings you can lift up on hing pins liek they have at every other hotel that serves complimentary breasfast. That includes teh condements as that was probably the worst and dirtiest stuff out there.
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Postby shadowopal » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:14 pm

Dind't have a problem with any of the food and it was a damn sight better than the Crowne Plaza. So, it was all fine with me. It was hotel priced food and a counter line. Didn't expect much. Want real food, I go to a restaurant. Food court accross the parking lot had good fair surprisingly.
shadowopal

Postby Amdur » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:15 pm

I ate from the prepared food-line 3 times total between Fri/Sat, and each time the burgers were AWESOME. The price was fantastic, and I really didn't have a complaint.

However, I could have just been lucky with the timing, and if others had issues, then obviously the staff wasn't refreshing the offerings very often.

I did try the chicken strips once, and I do think the ones I had were less-than-warm (but still good, to me).

-Tim S.
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex.
Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.
Amdur

Postby orkytodd » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:31 pm

I remember early adepticons. We are lucky that we have the problem of complaining about the hallway food!
Overall a great venue, even if the hallway food was bad.
I dont judge a Hospital by its cafeteria, dont judge the hotel by the hallway cart!
orkytodd

Postby moondoggy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:10 pm

personally I had the hotdogs one day and they were just fine for the 3$ I spent on the two of them I loaded them up with some vegies and I had no complaints. Personally I saw the staff their constantly running out more new food so even though they were set up for a long time I do not think any of the food was out all that long.

I had not been to adepticon in years and all of this was much better and very welcomed change from years past. Being able to get coffee or a drink right outside the main hall all weekend was great.
moondoggy

Postby NecronLord3 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:28 pm

I was also happy with the food. I've attended a few Gencons and a couple of Games Days and this food was far superior. I got a decent slice of pizza and actually canned Coke. Most conventions you get food that looks good but tastes terrible and the pop is a watered down knock off of the name brand, the next day you have diarrhea and/or you are vomiting. 24 hours later I'm good.

Lets also not forget the open bar. That is something you won't see at a Gamesday or Gencon.
NecronLord3

Postby knitemare » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:59 pm

I did enjoy that when I bought a soft drink it was in a can. That made me happy. I also had coffee from outside the main hall 3 times and it was great. I was so glad it was nearby.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby Janthkin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:49 pm

[quote="moonshadow13"]1) Sitting out in the open air uncovered with the outside doors opening and closing near by I can tell you added extra flavor to that food. You all got some special flavoring that i am sure many of you were feeling that don't have iron clad guts.

2) I watched the food preperation and several people did not use gloves and handled money (the dirtiest thing in the world) prior to putting buns in the open containers. I did question them and they were not happy with me.

3) As food was sitting in luke warm heated water or out on a plate i am not surprized about some of the people i talked too results from it either.

4) Its one thing to be out there for 30 minutes. Its another to have stuff sitting out in the open for hours and as the water is evaporating out of them and they are turing rubbery and slimly. That they still considered it exceptible by their standards to place on top of your food to eat./quote]
Yes, they were definitely a bit short of food safety standard-of-care. It might also help if the food line moved to the side hallway - less variation in temperature.

Beer was overpriced; $6 Heineken is a crime. Other than that, no (additional) major complaints.
Janthkin

Postby Jormi_Boced » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:27 pm

I ate a burger one time and I thought it was good.
Jormi_Boced

Postby geoheo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:03 pm

I stayed away from the hallway food on Friday. But on Saturday I ate a hot dog and it upset my stomach. It made me late to my demo, so I stayed away on Sunday.
geoheo

Postby domus » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:22 pm

$3 for 2 hot dogs. Was fine to me...

I remember paying $11 for a ham sandwhich before.....

And the mall food court was within easy walking / driving distance.
domus

Return to AdeptiCon 2010