Well it’s time for my annual suggestions and comments thread

The place to discuss all that was! Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) for past coverage, event results and photos!

Postby Blackmoor » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:01 pm

Generalissimo_Fred wrote:I would say that since the Daemon codex is out, there should be no mulligans. It almost insures the daemon player of getting their primary wave each game if it is a 3+ with a reroll. That one point for reroll is greatly offset by the enhanced possibility of gaining full battle points by getting the primary wave in.

I think you are right. I did not think of the implications of all of the dice rolls that the Demon Codex makes, and how the mulligan greatly effects them.

I still miss it though :cry:
Blackmoor

Postby Elthniar » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:25 pm

Blackmoor wrote:The invitational/Championships

My biggest problem was the armies that were represented. The championship armies looked like gladiator armies without the forgeworld. It was a sea of Orks, Demons, and Chaos. *yawn*I think I saw 2 Space Marines, 1-2 Nids, 2 Eldar and 1 Necron army, and the rest were the toughest lists you can find. Boy what fun! I ended up taking a fun and fluffy army for a change and was clubbed like a baby seal by nob bikers for 0 points, so I was happy to face another army that was not that strong, but I was wrong and ended up against a 2 demon prince list with dual lashes. After that loss I get a nice and fluffy list of Abaddon and only one lash. From listening to my friends at the Invitational the lists there were not much better.

What happened to all of the other armies? I am going out on a limb here and say that perhaps Adepticon should think about some kind of comp for Sundays 40k games. I know that comp is a 4 letter word in the Midwest, but with GW inability to write a decent codex (or at least change some things after 5th edition makes some units incredibly strong) you might want to at least put it on the table as an idea. Pretty soon Sunday will just be dominated by a handful of lists of Orks, Blood Crushers, Land Raiders, and Lashes of Submission. I know I like variety and to play a lot of different armies, and Sunday should be the place for that.

With the Gladiator, Team Tournament, and Championships, I played 11 games total of 40k. I faced 8 Imperium forces (1 Guard, 5 Space Marines, 1 Reaver build with Guard and Grey Knights, 1 Sisters) and 3 Chaos armies (1 Daemon, 1 Marine, 1 Mixed (Team Tournament)).

How boring.

I know there's not much that can be done with such a large event, and people obviously should be allowed to bring what they want, I'm just personally amazed that I didn't get a single Ork, Tyranid, Tau, or even Eldar army to play against. I wonder what the odds of that happening were, because I know I saw plenty of Ork armies at least.

Oh well, maybe next year I won't get a single Marine or Chaos player.
Elthniar

Postby Blackmoor » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:32 pm

I played against a Nob Biker army each day.
Blackmoor

Postby Elthniar » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:34 pm

Blackmoor wrote:I played against a Nob Biker army each day.

Ha ha by the end of the day Sunday, I would have LOVED to play a Nob biker army. I was so sick of power armour by that point, and so much for the balanced army I brought...
Elthniar

Postby Centurian99 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:38 pm

Hmm...

TT Round 1: Orks/Orks
TT Round 2: Chaos/Orks
TT Round 3: Daemons
TT Round 4: Chaos/Chaos

Invite Round 1: Orks
Invite Round 2: Chaos
Invite Round 3: SM
Centurian99

Postby Werty » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:39 pm

Blackmoor wrote:Mission 2. I did not like that tactical bonuses and here is why: You get bonus points for having your most expensive HQ, and most expensive unit left alive. The problem is that if you have multiple HQs and Units that cost the same points, one left alive will fulfill the requirement and the owning player will receive the tactical bonuses. IMO a player should not get rewarded for taking redundant units at the same points costs. Just the opposite, you should be penalized for this, and if any of the most expensive units die, you do not get the points.

Then you punish someone for having redundancy. Maybe have the owning player should chose one of the units to be the one for the bonus. That way it is only one unit that is involved.
Werty

Postby Janthkin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:44 pm

On a "how the events were run in the venue" perspective, one single niggle: table pairings need to be posted in more places, and in larger fonts. Maybe they could be put up on the projectors, in a slow cycling scroll? The further away we can read the pairings, the less time is lost in fighting to the list, then fighting back out again. If you need more hands for posting lists, collect a few player volunteers at check-in - I can tape up a list for you as easily as someone wearing a staff shirt, right?

Truly a minor gripe: events ran incredibly smoothly this year.
Janthkin

Postby Brian » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:00 pm

Generalissimo_Fred wrote:I would say that since the Daemon codex is out, there should be no mulligans. It almost insures the daemon player of getting their primary wave each game if it is a 3+ with a reroll. That one point for reroll is greatly offset by the enhanced possibility of gaining full battle points by getting the primary wave in.

That thought never crossed my mind when I wrote the Mulligan system out of the TT although I agree that a mulligan would have been a VERY good thing to have for a Daemon team. Fred's comment actually brings up a good point. Reserves have a much-expanded role in 5th edition and the ability to re-roll for reserves is very powerful. Furthermore the ability to re-roll for table edge when outflanking is very powerful. Now I'm REALLY glad we dropped mulligans.

The command counters taking over for the mulligans were interesting. You might want to still think about keeping the mulligans.

I thought about giving the command counters a "unit gets one reroll during the game" perk but it didn't make it into any of the missions. I also thought about allowing a coalition to trade in BOTH their command counters for a single reroll but I didn't feel that the system needed anymore rules.
Brian

Armies played against

Postby Depayen » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:08 pm

Gladiator; Round 1 Eldar
Round 2 Daemon
Round 3 Sister of Battle
Round 4 Tyranids

Team: Round 1 Marines
Round 2 Orcs
Round 3 Orcs
Round 4 Daemons

Championship; Round 1 Tau
Round 2 Deathwing
Round 3 Orcs
Death comes at high Speed!
Here cometh the orangemen!

O'where O'where will I pop in. Go first I will let you shoot at nothing.
Depayen

Postby Inquisitor_Malice » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:23 pm

I liked the command counter system. We elected to use the strategically.

1st round - neither team used theirs. (earned 2)
2nd round - our coalition used both. (earned 3)
3rd round - our coalition used one command counter. (earned 3)
4th round - our coalition used one command counter. (earned 4)

Overall, we racked up quite a few. I really liked the last mission where you had to use and put them at risk in order to get the tactical bonuses.
- Greg
Inquisitor_Malice

Postby Inquisitor_Malice » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:28 pm

TT R1 - Orks with nob bikerz and trukks
TT R2 - Double lash chaos
TT R3 - Chaos and Daemons with 2 pavanes and a lash
TT R4 - Daemons

Invite R1 - Orks
Invite R2 - Orks
Invite R3 - Chaos

Now we were playing a chaos / daemons list. So we were part of the problem.
- Greg
Inquisitor_Malice

Postby Redbeard » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:29 pm

Blackmoor wrote:The invitational/Championships

My biggest problem was the armies that were represented. The championship armies looked like gladiator armies without the forgeworld.

Well, I think part of this might simply be the distance people are traveling in order to play. If you're bringing an army for the Gladiator, and maybe a second for the Team Tournament, are you really going to pack a third, different army for the championship?
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Inquisitor_Malice » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:29 pm

Yeah - I used to bring three different armies. However, I'm now down to two or one for the weekend. There is simply too much stuff for me to bring otherwise.
- Greg
Inquisitor_Malice

Postby Centurian99 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:09 pm

Ditto here. I used to bring three different armies...now the rule is that everything has to fit in one case.
Centurian99

Postby fyrblckdragon » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:36 pm

TT 1 - SM LR spam
TT 2 - SM
TT 3 - Horde Orks
TT4 - Horde Orks
fyrblckdragon

PreviousNext

Return to AdeptiCon 2009