Ok, I have to be the jerk and ask this...

The place to discuss all that was! Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) for past coverage, event results and photos!

Ok, I have to be the jerk and ask this...

Postby Ed » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:20 am

The one thing that everyone will talk about when they discuss Adepticon 2009 is the 13 foot long Ork War Cruiser. The thing was so awesome that my friends who do not play 40k came to the convention to see it and were blown away. Assuming Hunt for Red Orktober were the guys who made it (I might be wrong, I just saw their banner next to it)...

Why didn't they win a prize for this? There was a Best Theme and some other similar prize category that I felt they should have been considered for. If there is no prize category for rewarding people who make incredible dioramas/displays that fuel excitement for the hobby, there should be. Whoever made that piece showed a passion and dedication that needs to be rewarded.

Anyway, enough from me.

Ed
Ed
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:08 am

Postby turbo tj » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:24 pm

I just want to know if there is a BFG size version that can be in next years tournament and will they return with another model next year.

Hell if they make one for another race we can do a game. 40K/BFG ship-to-ship, boarding actions, etc. Something to think about for next year. Maybe a new kind of team-tournament....
Teams build ships and do kombat.
"FOR THE GREATER GOOD!!"
"FOR THE KAHN AND THE EMPEROR!"
Chapter Master: Destroyers Chapter
User avatar
turbo tj
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 4:50 pm
Location: North Riverside, IL

Re: Ok, I have to be the jerk and ask this...

Postby artificer » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:30 pm

Ed wrote:The one thing that everyone will talk about when they discuss Adepticon 2009 is the 13 foot long Ork War Cruiser. The thing was so awesome that my friends who do not play 40k came to the convention to see it and were blown away. Assuming Hunt for Red Orktober were the guys who made it (I might be wrong, I just saw their banner next to it)...

Why didn't they win a prize for this? There was a Best Theme and some other similar prize category that I felt they should have been considered for. If there is no prize category for rewarding people who make incredible dioramas/displays that fuel excitement for the hobby, there should be. Whoever made that piece showed a passion and dedication that needs to be rewarded.

Anyway, enough from me.

Ed


The piece was indeed incredible. It was made by Matt Sabol, of Sabol Designs. They have done something massive like this at least the last two years.
Only the Dead Have Seen The End Of War
- Plato

'07 TT - No More Kicking
'08 TT - Casus Belli
'09 TT - Cede Malis
'10 Paint Judging and Terrain Monkey
artificer
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: Ok, I have to be the jerk and ask this...

Postby Ed » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:45 pm

artificer wrote:The piece was indeed incredible. It was made by Matt Sabol, of Sabol Designs. They have done something massive like this at least the last two years.


Ahh, then disregard my whole post. I thought it was made by the Orktober guys.

Ed
Ed
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:08 am

Re: Ok, I have to be the jerk and ask this...

Postby artificer » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:34 pm

Ed wrote:
artificer wrote:The piece was indeed incredible. It was made by Matt Sabol, of Sabol Designs. They have done something massive like this at least the last two years.


Ahh, then disregard my whole post. I thought it was made by the Orktober guys.

Ed


It was, sorry to confuse.

Matt Sabol (Sabol Designs) did the massive ship, the name of which was "Red Orktober" as was his teams name. I don't know the rest of his team, we haven't played them in the three years I've been coming.

I forget that not everyone has been here multiple times and may not be familiar with some of the more well known individuals.
Only the Dead Have Seen The End Of War
- Plato

'07 TT - No More Kicking
'08 TT - Casus Belli
'09 TT - Cede Malis
'10 Paint Judging and Terrain Monkey
artificer
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Postby Redbeard » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:55 pm

As a response to the original question:

There are many different facets of having a theme. The Hunt for the Red Orktober guys did an amazing job with that display, this is true. But, having a fancy display, even the most fancy display, does not necessarily equate to having the best theme. Theme encompasses far more than just the display.

At some point, 'more' is not necessarily better, and I don't really want to see theme become a more-more-more contest. If the biggest, most-expensive display is required to win Best Theme, that certainly puts the award well out of reach of most of the attendees, and that's not good. So, while having the best display should be worth something (and it is), it shouldn't be worth so much that the other aspects of theme cannot match it.

The team that won the Theme award had a really solid theme, as well as a good display. They based their armies around four of the Black Library books, with their characters, and every unit choice picked to represent something that happened in each of those four books. That's pretty thematic, and I don't think it's fair for anyone to say that they didn't deserve the award because they didn't bring a $10k spaceship model as a display...
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
User avatar
Redbeard
 
Posts: 1228
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:55 am
Location: Homewood, IL

Postby Ed » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:31 pm

Redbeard wrote:The team that won the Theme award had a really solid theme, as well as a good display. They based their armies around four of the Black Library books, with their characters, and every unit choice picked to represent something that happened in each of those four books. That's pretty thematic, and I don't think it's fair for anyone to say that they didn't deserve the award because they didn't bring a $10k spaceship model as a display...


I think what I'd rather say is that there should be a category to reward those who spend crazy amounts of time, effort, and cash to make a thing whose only goal is to impress us. It doesn't even need to impact the scoring at all. Call it the "Holy BLEEP!" award, because that's what people should say when they see it.

Either way, I was there and got to appreciate the thing. I didn't get a chance to see Cede Malis' display, so hopefully there will be some photos of it.

Ed
Ed
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:08 am

Postby Matthias » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:42 pm

Ed,

I generally agree with that. I think breaking off Spirit this year was the right move and perhaps what you are talking about falls more into that category, so while breaking Spirit off from the main scoring and awarding it by itself was the right move, perhaps the Spirit points need to be looked at closer for next year.

In that case Red Orktober did extremely well. By pure theme standards - a display base is only worth a max of 5 points (for all the reasons Redbread listed above). Best Team Theme and Presentation is a combination of painting, theme and comp (scored by your opponents).

Bottom line for me - I heard this morning they weren't happy with their theme score and took a second look at the sheets - *if* I had been scoring theme I would have perhaps given them a 41, although that is without being able to look at the unifying details of the actual game models again. Even at 41 - it wouldn't change the overall rewards - nor is it my place to usurp the Theme Judges who actually got out there and looked at the armies and talked to the players.

Without a doubt - Red Orktober was one of the coolest things at the con and something people will be talking about for months to come. I guarantee it was the most photographed thing the entire weekend. I like to think that is what they were truly going for at the end of the day (although that is just how I would view it).

All in all - an insane effort (in the best possible sense) that will be, without a doubt, properly recognized.
User avatar
Matthias
Techpriest
 
Posts: 795
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby muwhe » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:58 pm

I'll add that my sons can not stop talking about the big "ship" at AdeptiCon.

Me: So what was your favorite part of AdeptiCon?

Ethan: That Big Ship Daddy....

Me: What did you like about it ...

Liam: It was Red!

.... future orc players I imagine.
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:15 pm

Postby RichN » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:21 pm

To quote my 4 year old - the best part of visiting Adepticon was the big, huge, gigantic, gigantic, gigantic space ship.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
User avatar
RichN
 
Posts: 675
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:41 am
Location: Darien IL

Postby Zaeon » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:35 am

Our buddies won best team spirit, they had matching shirts, dice, laminated army lists and they built a manta. I think they deserved it
Zaeon
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:37 pm

Postby SmokWawelski » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:49 am

Yes, I spoke with one of the guys that did the "Books" army and I could tell how excited and dedicated to staying as close as possible to that theme they were, even at a cost of perhaps not having the "strongest" army. They surely deserved some points for that alone - not bringing a power list.
User avatar
SmokWawelski
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:20 am
Location: Crestwood, IL


Return to AdeptiCon 2009

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron