AdeptiCon 09 Terrain Project

The place to discuss all that was! Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) for past coverage, event results and photos!

AdeptiCon 09 Terrain Project

Postby Matthias » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:01 pm

One of the unsung/unheard of projects for this year is the MASSIVE terrain effort being undertaken in Springfield at Capital City Games. The goal is to standardize as much of the terrain as possible this year (target goal is 96 40K tables). Just about everything is being rebased, repaired and repainted. All of the flats are brand new and are being built in a similar manner to the GW tree bases so the obstacles have a specific place on the flat in order to preserve true line of sight. Really - some fantastic work/effort.

I went down to Capital City Games the other weekend for a terrain day - didn't take many pictures (too busy painting), but here is idea of the scale. This photo shows terrain elements for 12 Necron-themed tables (built, flocked and basecoated). We also got an equal number of pieces built, flocked and basecoated for the 12 Ice World tables.

I am sure someone has more/better photos of the work in progress.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:28 pm

The work done each year on terrain makes Adepticon worth attending alone. I am continuously amazed by Adepticons high standards and productivity, Hank not-with-standing. :wink:
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby muwhe » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:45 pm

Fred .. it’s definitely in spite of me!

We should have some more pictures up soon.

It's hard to tell from the picture posted but each of those "flats" have a series of circles counter sunk. The crystal elements in the soda flat are all mounted on a circle base. The elements then fit perfectly into the counter sunk areas of each of the flats. Think the new GW trees only with interchangeable elements.

There will be a few more "Terrain Dates" between now and AdeptiCon...

We definitely could use some help.

Special Thanks goes out to Dave and Brett of Capital City Games.

As well as Josh, Adam, Mark, Rhett, Joe, Andrew, Chris and everyone else that been lending a hand.
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Postby marcineczek0 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:19 pm

Hi guys.
I had lot's of fun in springfield helping with the terrain project and maybe I'll visit again. Here are some photos that I took...

Image[/img]
marcineczek0

Postby Huoshini » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:16 pm

Very awesome stuff.

Appreciatting the effort! You guys are awesome!
G.R.A.M.P.A
AdeptusBrewCityJoe wrote:Yeah I guess you are right.

"When you're in the garage, Bring out the damn dinosaurs!" -Phil Kelly

Lord Sportsman: Adepticon 2010
Huoshini

Postby BrentS » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:17 pm

That is some impressive output. Well done guys.
BrentS

Thanks for much for working hard on new, cool terrain

Postby blackbone » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:06 pm

Thanks for all your hard work on the terrain, all.

- Blackbone
Greg D.
Adepticon TT: 2009 - Team Handsome, 2008 - WWFD, 2007 - Xenophilia, 2006 - Greater Goodbar, 2005 - Brutally Kunning, 2004
blackbone

Postby Matthias » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:16 pm

2009 40K Terrain Gallery can be found here:

http://www.adepticon.org/gallery/main.p ... temId=5846

I will update this with new WIP pics as the terrain weekends roll on...
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby Marius Xerxes » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:01 pm

Talk to Brett at the store. I know he has lots more pics from the many days since this last one of all of us working on more terrain.
Standing in the light, I see only darkness.

"The ambition of Caesar and of Napoleon pales before that which could not rest until it had seized the minds of men and controlled even their unborn thoughts." - The King in Yellow.
Marius Xerxes

Postby brettmalone_99 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:59 pm

I sent some more pics to Hank tonight. hopefully they will get up soon.

This most recent set is all going to be 24 "green" based tables. One large area terrain (ruin of some sort), 2 hills, 3 pieces of wooded/rocky terrain per table. We will be working on getting all of this set base coated this coming weekend. Also having a couple guys building more City Fight terrain.

Thanks Brett.
Last edited by brettmalone_99 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brettmalone_99

Postby Matthias » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:10 am

Added Brett's photos to the gallery.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby Huoshini » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:14 pm

Stuff is looking amazing guys!
G.R.A.M.P.A
AdeptusBrewCityJoe wrote:Yeah I guess you are right.

"When you're in the garage, Bring out the damn dinosaurs!" -Phil Kelly

Lord Sportsman: Adepticon 2010
Huoshini

Weekend of Madness

Postby brettmalone_99 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:55 pm

Well lets start off by Thanking a few people. George Sommer, Mark Sommer, Jacob Bouvet, Josh Hamlin, Adam Cortes, Colin, Andrew and Joe. This weekend was one of the strongest outputs yet. Pictures should be up shortly. I sent them to Matt just before I started typing this. On Saturday we finished assembly on the "Green" tables. As well as final drybrush on "Ice" tables. I have to say they are possibly the best terrain pieces I've ever seen. The contrast between the blues and whites with the green trees, rocks and buildings is almost stunning. Had to use a painted Daemon Prince fig on one of the flats for comparison. I think when painted armies are deployed it will be quite a "Scenic" looking layout.

Sunday was a massive painting and assembly day. Three of us were assembling "City Fight" buildings (3+ Bottles of plastic glue). Mark built 36 craters out of 1 1/2 foam. While Dave, George, Andrew, Adam and Jacob painted base coat on all the "Green" terrain. In the pictures you will see that one 8 foot table is loaded with over 300 of the 3" discs with trees and rocks. For those keeping score thats almost 500 Features/elements base coated in about 8 hours. With a little over a month to go we have hit the home stretch and can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Well done guys. I know the reaction from players will be worth all the work. :)
brettmalone_99

Postby Matthias » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:17 pm

New photos are up.

Brett - sounds like you got down to business after Hank and I went to the arcad...er home.

Add to the list of things done: All the Necron Crystals have the Dark Angels green basecoat on them as of this afternoon. Should have all of them finished in a week or so and then I'll start knocking out those refinery pieces.

Again...fantastic work. It's going to be one pretty hall...

Some of the finished Ice World terrain...

Matthias
Techpriest

Postby brettmalone_99 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:14 pm

Worked on "City Fight" this past weekend. Dave was drybrushing Green. It will look amazing when finished. Even had my wife painting all day Sunday. Will have more pics up maybe tonight.

I hope someone gets a picture of the hall set up so I can see what it looks like.
brettmalone_99

Next

Return to AdeptiCon 2009