How is 7th edition?

Do you know the best way to beat that unbeatable 40k army? Well post it here and share the knowledge.

How is 7th edition?

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:32 am

The title says it all. What has been your experience with 7th edition so far? I'm interested to hear from a lot of different perspectives.
Generalissimo_Fred

Re: How is 7th edition?

Postby eltrain728 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:15 pm

Jeremy and I played right after 7th came out.

Vehicles in general are harder to kill. Specficially Land Raiders.

Psychic Powers are more unreliable. We were just trying to do simple buffs rather than getting off a key power on a deathstar.

Objective Secured and everything scoring makes a big difference.

Lack of area terrain and focus fire I think are going to personally affect me a lot.
eltrain728

Postby tg787 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:08 pm

Still need to play, I will let you know after I break the ice.
tg787

Postby tulkasulmar » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:51 pm

I'll let you know after next Saturday. Will be attending the Draxtar 40K Tournament on 06/14.

It'll be my first 3 games in the new 7th edition rules. :lol:
I'll let you know what it takes to lose all 3 games. :(
(2014)
Painted:
255 bases/trays
10 Demons
74 Astra Militarum/Militarum Tempestus
68 Grey Knights/Inquisition
15 Adepta Sororitas
1 Fortifications
192 Commission
tulkasulmar

Postby cjputrich » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:34 pm

I just got my first game in yesterday and I was quite pleased. That said, I enjoyed 6th and this is not a huge shift away from that.

I don't generally use Psykers but I made a point to bring two with a mastery level of 5 between the two of them combined. I really wanted to run that phase through the paces and I really enjoyed it.

Small complaint was the whole flying monstrous creatures cannot charge the same turn the turn to gliding. That ended up hurting me pretty bad with my daemon prince. I'm also annoyed about the changes to the Hellerake, but in practice it was still very good. Not blind, stupid good like it use to be, but still very effective for its purpose of burning anything with power armor or less to smithereens.
40k Armies
Chaos Space Marines
Dark Angels

Other Games
Fantasy - Skaven
Warmachine - Khador
X-Wing
Infinity - Ariadna
cjputrich

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:45 am

So far...

It's not a lot different than 6th. No help for non-deathstar/MC assault units/armies, so ~35-40% of the model range is still essentially useless in a competitive setting.

The Maelstrom of War missions are a joke. The player better able to churn cards just wins. Highly mobile units like eldar jetbikes will dominate this as written, because you can sac a unit of three of them to score your point and get you a new card, and you might not even need to lose them. Armies without mobility that don't draw a decent first hand are screwed, period. They'll never get where they need to go fast enough to score and replace the card, and the name of that game is replacing cards.

The change to jink is a nice little twist, and adds a bit of thinking, rather than a free save across the board for bikes/skimmers. That said, jinking as a 4+ save really rewards those units that can improve that somehow (tau/eldar vehicles upgrages, white scars, nurgle flying princes), and of course, twin-linked tesla guns don't really care if they're snap-shooting.

Psychic phase feels like all-or-nothing, go big or go home. Either bring a ton of dice and try to capitalize on it, or don't bother at all. Taking one libby (or equivalent) will get shut down hard if it runs into the daemon or grey knight dice machine, and their dice isn't likely to make a huge difference in stopping the big-dice casting either. Powers are no where near as easy to cast as before, and in the two games I played with psychic-heavy armies, it felt like half the psykers were there just to generate dice for the ones that rolled better powers. Grey Knights can generate a lot of dice, but don't have a lot of good options for spending them. Daemons generate a lot of dice, and wan use them to make more, but there's a balance to be found between casting yourself new units, and doing things that actually impact your opponent.

I'm not really convinced that vehicles are that much harder to kill. Hull-point stripping is still pretty easy (except, perhaps, against land raiders), and the vehicles that can't get a built-in save (skimmers, daemon engines) are still left hoping to find cover - and there's no area terrain.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Return to Tactics (40K)