Choosing Daemon Deployment Waves...Let's Discuss

Do you know the best way to beat that unbeatable 40k army? Well post it here and share the knowledge.

Choosing Daemon Deployment Waves...Let's Discuss

Postby Lord Krungharr » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:37 pm

Since we Daemons players get to choose our units for the deployment groupings at the start of our first turn, it seems like there is opportunity to compensate for our randomness.

But I see (and usually do) the style of all hard hitters in the first wave with all else trickling in later, all or nothin' as Generalissimo Fred said.

I haven't read much discussion about this, other than Daemons can't win tournaments because of their inherent randomness. Generally speaking what would be some other good ideas for wave groupings and when would be good to do them?
Lord Krungharr

Postby Redbeard » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:57 am

I've found that you can mitigate the randomness in some games. If you know you're a better player than your opponent, or that your list just matches up well against theirs, try and minimize the luck and make the waves as even as possible.

But, there are other games where you just know that doing the even waves thing is going to get you slaughtered. In those cases, you have to go big or go home, and just hope it pans out for you.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby seahawk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:24 am

I try to make sure there is at least a single icon in both waves no matter if I'm going big or equalizing, but beyond that it's just down to the match-up to determine whether the fatties go in first or not.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Redbeard » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:08 am

Icons can get costly though, and often where you want to land things either. To ensure that one is in each wave requires spending a minimum of 50 points - that's a unit of screamers, which have value in a mech-heavy meta.

Icons that aren't on rock-hard units (large mobs of plaguers or crushers, really) are also susceptible to being removed from the table before used.

I will stick an icon on a unit of crushers, more for wound tricks than for the icon, and then use it, but I rarely take icons on other units anymore. I'll take that risk and bring the extra models instead.

Honestly, I think daemons are the most luck-based army out there. You'll have games where you just destroy your opponents, and others where you'll get the wrong wave, models will sit in reserve for four turns, and others will scatter to exactly the wrong places. That's chaos - and you have to embrace it to play the army.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby seahawk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:20 am

Part of why I love the army ;).

Yes it is a 50 point expenditure and nothing more (I don't have more than two icons total), but it's almost always been worth it. I have one on a 20-blob bloodletter unit and another on a 10-slob plaguebearer unit. In both cases it's for getting reinforcements when and where I need and want them, which usually involves being dangerously close to enemy units that I'd rather not scatter into.

Last game my PB were hiding on an objective. GK terminators were comin' at me, oh noes! Oh wait, 9 non-scattering Flamers. Aaaannd gone!
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Lord Krungharr » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:01 pm

Oh yeah, love those Flamers popping in just where I want 'em!

It does make it at least a little more excitement to have that element of chance...that's part of why Vegas is still around, no?

Are there any units that should always always come in the first wave choice, or any units that should never ever come in the first wave? Almost seems like Soul Grinders should come in later after guys have a chance to disembark from transports to get blasted.
Lord Krungharr

Return to Tactics (40K)