Daemons vs. Bugs

Do you know the best way to beat that unbeatable 40k army? Well post it here and share the knowledge.

Who would you rather use against a Swarmlord in assault?

Noxious Touch Nurgle Daemon Princes
22%
Skulltaker with Bloodcrushers
56%
Bloodthirster
11%
Keeper of Secrets
11%

Total votes : 9

Daemons vs. Bugs

Postby Lord Krungharr » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:40 pm

Anyone have any suggestions for taking on Tyranids with Daemons?
To nullify the nastiness of multiple MCs, seems like Skulltaker would be a good choice with a unit of 5 Bloodcrushers...although they are kinda slowmoving, at least Skulltaker is I6 on the charge with the Instant Death Rending on 4+ attacks.
But has anyone tried masses of poison attacks successfully? Or are Greater Daemons the best bet?

I've also heard of frustrating deployment mishaps after the Genestealers Infiltrate all over the place. How does one deal with that? Can a Daemons General deal with that?
Lord Krungharr

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:37 pm

Bloodcrushers will take out most everything in the bug codex and Skulltaker can take out the Swarmlord, but only if Skulltaker gets the charge off and that can be hard.

Here's the rub though. In most cases you will have to wade through a horde of smaller bugs all with poison and they will take down the Bloodcrushers /Bloodthirster before they can get to the big bugs. I think daemons need Daemonettes to clear the little guys away first so the Bloodcrushers can get into the big bugs and Skulltaker can get the charge on the Swarmlord.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Turtle » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:28 pm

large units of daemonettes are really really good against tyranid monstrous creatures especially when backed up by skarbrand
"Here have a beer, Marines play better with beer: Rhysk
Turtle

Postby Lord Krungharr » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:17 am

Hmmm, the few times I've tried to bring in Daemonettes they get shot up real bad, since they can't assault coming in. I've got a unit of 12 which seems good sized. Perhaps walking them behind the 'Crushers for cover would be worth trying.

Still, when I try the walking cover, like Bloodletters behind Plaguebearers for example, the deployment screws me more than half the time.

Maybe Seekers would be even more worth trying. Tough to put together a good sized unit though without breaking the bank. Such speed would prove nice against bugs, or anything for that matter....

My Horrors could maybe waste away gaunts pretty well, Warpfire throws alot of shots after they plop down.
Lord Krungharr

Postby CmdrVimes » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:44 am

My son likes to use Skull Taker and Epidemious with a lot of Blood Letters and Plague Bearers. He also uses Deamon princes with Wind of Chaos. Wind on little bugs builds up Epidemious' chart fast and then the Nurgle deamons get nasty with attacks that wound on 2 without armor saves Throw in Fate Weaver and they are even worse.
Len C.
CmdrVimes

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:01 pm

I voted Skulltaker, out of the options he is best, but I would actually suggest a soulgrinder. Sometimes the grinder dies imediately the turn it charges, it happens, but Ive also seen a grinder go for 4 rounds of melee. It might not win, but you tied up a lot of points with a minor investment, and usually tyranids do not have a go to creature (beyond carnifexs which no one uses) that can jump right in and pop the grinder.

As a whole I fight against my brothers bugs A LOT with my deamons and he does the large infiltrated stealer units to screw with my drops, it is anoying. The best units for dealing with the bugs that I have found are Grinders for most units, (watch out for trygons), as they can tie up piles of small bugs without threat. Another good unit is of course Crushers and Skulltaker. Fiends work very well as they have the speed to hit the shooty elements or take down the big bugs. Last is the GUO. His 4+ Invul. plus FNP means he can save most the bugs can throw at him. Nothing gets the attack bunus for charging so 20 gaunts is just 20 attacks, not 40. He also wounds everything with a 2+ making him a large creature killer.

As others have said the deamonettes also work well. Dont be afraid to try flamers either. They can work with the Masque to take out entire 20 bug units.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby Lord Krungharr » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:46 pm

Using Epidemius with the Plaguebearers, Bloodletters with Skulltaker, and then Fateweaver is a very interesting suggestion...a very united Chaos method, which I like! And deploying the IC fancy heralds with the Troops wouldn't be a problem in that case, and Fateweaver can catch up from behind if needed with his flight.

The Soul Grinders have served me well thus far so I'll definitely have at least 1, probably 2 in whatever list I make for my next Tyranid match. They seem to tie up Orks nicely and they're similar, although not as speedy.
I've never tried the Masque yet. But worth a try, as I love my Flamers! The Fiends could intercept a unit, and if they hold out long enough could Hit n Run and let the Flamers mop up as they fly in from their hiding spot.
The GUO is an excellent idea, and he's pretty cheap too. I always forget about the defensive grenades, that would've made a huge difference in a few games past.

Thank you all for your ideas, they will be very enjoyable to try out!
Lord Krungharr

Return to Tactics (40K)