Aetaos'rau'keres, Worth his points?

Do you know the best way to beat that unbeatable 40k army? Well post it here and share the knowledge.

Who's the best Daemon Lord?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:56 pm

Angraath
43%
Aetaos'rau'keres
43%
Scabiethrax
14%
Zaraknyel
No votes

Total votes : 7

Aetaos'rau'keres, Worth his points?

Postby Lord Krungharr » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:56 pm

Hi, I'm inquiring to those who have fielded big Birdo, for their experiences with using him in various battles.

The single time I tried him so far, I went against Chaos Marines, and ran into the anti-Daemon Prince rule repeatedly. Very irritating to try and avoid them whilst trying to fly into a Titan.

Of course most armies don't have Daemon Lords/Princes/Greaters. But his shooting actually doesn't pack that much of a whallop. The extra Horrors could come in real handy though, and I guess if you subtract 27x17 from 999 that makes for a stronger argument that the Slayer of Souls is worth taking.

The 20" flight is super nice though.

I did try the Staff of Cataclysm once. Not all that impressive even in a huge cluster of rhinos, Berzerkers, a Bloodthirster, and LR. Sacrificing all other action sucks. Does that have to roll to hit or is it just a place on the table attack? And AP3's not too great either...I wish they would've made it a Hellstorm Inferno gun style Breath of Chaos instead with the vehicle pen.

Any thoughts?
Lord Krungharr

Postby Redbeard » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:03 am

I think that, for competitive play, he's hands down the best of the Lords, followed by the Slaanesh one.

The reason is simply that the other two cannot make their points back. As gargantuan creatures, they cannot lock enemies in combat, and cannot sweeping advance. That means you're depending on rolling for every single kill you make, and invul saves even cut into that. A canny opponent will simply ignore either the Khorne or Nurgle prince and go about their game, allowing it to make its handful of kills.

The Slaanesh prince at least ignores invul saves, and can lash units around as well. She isn't stymies by things like seer councils or thunderhammer termies.

But the Tzeentch guy - I can't help but think that if you couldn't avoid his hatred of daemon princes, you weren't trying to. He moves 20" and only has to go after them if they're within 24" during his shooting phase. Unless they're right on top of you, you can dodge them.

Because he can direct his shooting as he sees fit, it's possible for him to impact four separate units in a turn. A large blast bolt of tzeentch can remove a unit from play. A flamer Template Boon of Mutation can make you a bunch of spawn in a hurry, and Daemonic Gaze, well, that's a couple extra kills. On top of that, he can assault, and he's not exactly a slouch there either. Add to that creating new scoring units as needed, the only real downside to this guy is the risk that he gets delayed in the wrong wave of daemonic assault, and doesn't show up for a while.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:48 pm

So the giant bird cant take down a flyer huh? Well you cant have everything at 999 points.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby Lord Krungharr » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:29 pm

That would be pretty sweet if he had anti-aircraft magic fingers to nail some Eldar flying circuses:)

In that Chaos vs Daemons Apoc. game I tried to fly around the flank and there were 2 princes, the BT, and a GUO sort of spreading out from the Titan's location. But I should've just barreled straight for the Titan, shooting then assaulting the big guys along the way. And I guess I could've had to shoot them, but still assaulted the Titan once in range. Doesn't say I have to assault the big guy after shooting them.

With that multi-unit mayhem aspect I must concur, he's my favorite Daemon Lord.
Lord Krungharr

Postby CaptKaruthors » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:44 pm

He's easily the best because of his abilities and his insane movement. He's even more ridiculous with a Tetragon of Darkness.
The vet sarge says “OK, screw this!” and turns on his Powerfist again, but the guardsmen get a sudden surge of ape like strength and they bring the marine down in a hail of fists, feet, and feces.
CaptKaruthors

Postby Lord Krungharr » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:54 pm

That really paid off big time in the last Gladiator practice game I played. Didn't get my 1st group choice, and Birdo didn't come in til turn 3. But he had plenty of reach with the 20" flight! The Rendered Horrors did a good job of contesting objectives too.
Lord Krungharr

Return to Tactics (40K)