The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Week #2

Do you know the best way to beat that unbeatable 40k army? Well post it here and share the knowledge.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Week #2

Postby DragonBait » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:47 pm

First off, thanks for making last weeks discussion awesome. Was nice to have a casual thread and get some good opinions from a decent amount of people. I figured this week I'd go for the army that is my new endeavor....NECRONS! Since it's a small codex, I figure it's pretty easy to get a decent consensus on things....so here I go for my votes...

Most Overrated: I have got to go with the Monolith on this one. So many friggin points for mobilizing one unit and shooting a pretty crappy weapon, or shooting one decent weapon. I don't feel it does enough...

Most Underrated: Sure they're not great, but I love the things, and I hear there's a new plastic kit in their future....Go Tomb Spiders!!!! They repair, they're a monstrous creature for the 'crons, and they can shrug off wounds to a handy Scarab Swarm

The Best: Everything in the codex is so bland, so it's hard at least for me to pick one unit that stands out above the rest. I'm going to have to go with the Lord for this one it looks like. They're the only unit you can really change or upgrade for a decent amount of uses. They are about one of the best things they have in close combat, and can use some flashy (albeit unpredictable) tricks.

The Worst: Hmm.....I'm not a fan of either of the C'Tan. I think they're fun and stuff, but they are just another point sink to take away from adding more "Necron" units to your army.

The Least Fluffy: Pariahs. The newest evolution of necron, doesn't even get to be a necron. Duh lol.
"What's you're job?"
"Oh, I'm retired now. I invented dice when I was a kid."
DragonBait

Postby n00bzilla99 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:55 am

I disagree, I think the monolith is the best unit in the codex. For it's ability to fire the particle whip or the gauss thingys at EVERY unit within 12" and if it does teleport a unit still? Meanwhile being the hardest vehicle to kill in 40k? Yes please.

I'm not feeling it on Tomb Spyders, I've never seen them in a good necron list, nor have I ever played against them so I can't truly make a judgment but maybe there is a reason I never play them...

Agree that the lord is the best, especially the different ways he can be kitted out.

The worst? Definitely pariahs.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby moonshadow13 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:54 am

Most Overrated: Wraiths - I know they got nerfed so that being said they are not that good anymore. PEoeple still use them though and think they are a waste.

Most Underrated: You were close but i will have to go with the Scarabs themselves. They can tie up units forever and are a great way to take out and opponents leet unit by taking them out of the fray for and many rounds as needed. Sure they are week to template weapons but normally they can 1st tie up and be incredibly annoying.

The Best: Its was obvious from day one why the Monolith is what it is. That beind said like Joe said with an incredible toughness and immunity to 2d6 pen weapons they can be uttery destructive dropping them into play and then bringing out the warriors and the like right in teh middle of your defences. Hands down its my favorite.

The Worst: While Ctans bring another element i will say that when it comes to a heavy choice those heavy weapon warriors i can do without sure they have neat weapons but to use instead of a Monolith? NEVER.

The Least Fluffy: I like the Pariahs if they can survive the first round of shooting them dead they will tear though anything and anyone, but they need to survive and that is teh issue. I think they need to evolve a bit more to be perfect.
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Postby DragonBait » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:36 am

The C'tan are an HQ choice, but even so your point is valid. A lord is more often than not far more useful than a C'tan will be in your army. A few more things from my point of view on the monolith. Aside from like you say being immune to melta and the like, how much harder is it to bring down than say a Land Raider. Lascannon fire will still take them down, and one of the easiest ways to take them out is with walkers. You never need worse than a 4+ to hit it, so anything in close combat with a s5 powerfist, walker, or witchblade can still take them down. They do have their uses though. I just wish they had like one more little benefit, nothing too great...but something more for that points.
"What's you're job?"
"Oh, I'm retired now. I invented dice when I was a kid."
DragonBait

Postby seahawk » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:55 pm

Most Overrated: Wraiths I guess. Their 3+ inv save no longer is unique, nor is their speediness.

Most Underrated: Scarabs. Cute and tickly, until they rip apart everything you've ever liked using. Except T7+.

The Best: Destroyers. High mobility, high firepower, high toughness, high armor (in the good way)...etc

The Worst: Pariahs. No Necronity makes them a waste in every sense.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:59 pm

Most Overrated: Scarabs.

I'm sorry I have to disagree with the field. T3 does little for me in such a large str 6+ environment. There are weapons everywhere that instant kill these guys. They are not scoring and they take up a valuable FA slot.

Most Underrated: Wraiths. I used these guys a lot in the last edition and I see none of their advantages have gone away in 5th edition. Lone Wraiths are no good, but run in a group of 9 with a res orbed destroyer Lord in hot pursuit makes them forminable in 5th edition. What they have over other units that move 6" and assault 12" is their ability to ignore cover. They are str 6 (which will tear through scarabs) and can down most any tank with rear armor attacks. With the ability to sit deep in the backfield and go to ground, these guys are the best way for Necrons to reach those scoring units deep in an enemy territory.

The Best: Immortals

I just wish they were scoring units. T5 means very few things are getting around their WWB roll. They also shoot a ton at 24".

The Worst: Pariahs

I would love them if they were only Necrons, but the inability to WWB dooms them for sure.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:58 pm

This army is very near and dear to my heart and I think Ive played nearly every configuration possible. I have only played them in 5th edition so I guess I missed their glory days, but heres my take.

Most Overrated: Piece of wargear sort of but Veil of Darkness lord. Everyone loves hoping around shooting immortals at something. I think with all the pie plates around these days, teleporting, shooting and staying clumped up is a death sentence...even with WBB.

Most underrated : Pariah. I love em. I try and fit them in nearly every list. The work well with flayed powers, nightmare shroud, and the deciever. Last week I had a game where they were 12" from some TH SS termies and the deciever forced the termies to pin check and I kept them pinned for 2 turns. Dont take a lot, 4 is all you need for 144 points running behind a mono for a 12" Ld7 bubble on all sides. Also in a pinch are one of the few units in the game that carve up Deamons or TH SS termies.

The Best: Mono/Ctan I cant decide. I use both as a huge crutch. I guess the mono. One good way to not get shot is put a giant piece of moving terrain in front of the army.

The worst: WARRIORS. I hate these things. I only take two because I HAVE to. At ard boyz last year I took 3 squads, and only because it was 2500 points. 18 pts for bolters that can glance, on troops that are I2 with 1A sucks. Jeeze, update the codex and let people use flayed as troops already, at least they can deepstrike. I find myself putting them in reserve and cowering with this unit until they get teleported to an objective or grabbing one in my deployment zone while praying that 3 assault marines dont waltz over and run down the entire squad.

Least Fluffy:Flayed. This race hates all living matter and guasses all living cells to dust to destroy organic matter. Flayed put the skin of their enemies on themselves...???

My hopes....Give whole army stubborn, lower cost of everything except the mono and Ctan by 15-20%, let people take larger squads of wraiths and destroyers, and this army could make a showing at tournies.
Norbu the Destroyer

Return to Tactics (40K)