Beating Abaddon

Do you know the best way to beat that unbeatable 40k army? Well post it here and share the knowledge.

Beating Abaddon

Postby BrentS » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:42 pm

I'm still very new to 40K so every time I'm play a game (or in this case help my son and his friend play a game), I wonder if we are doing things correctly. In two games where my son's Chaos SM army has faced off against his friends Space Marine army the games have concluded with Abaddon just laying waste to anything on the board. It seems that the combination of the Demon weapon plus the base attacks and the invul save he can pretty much just steamroll anything the Space Marines throw at him. The only wound he's incurred was in the last game where he failed an invul save from a Lascannon shot. So help out a newbie, what advice can I give the Space Marine player in trying to corral Abaddon.

The typical points games they've been playing are between 1000-1500. As you could expect from 12 year olds, they are infatuated by the big heroes, the elites, and the heavies. My son typically uses Khorne Bezerkers and Plague Marines as his troop choices (sometimes with a third smaller group of generic CSM). The Space Marine player is light on troops (two squads of 10 often times split into 4 combat squads). He recenltly upgraded his SM Captain and added a Command Squad.
BrentS

Postby LongFang » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:24 pm

Last time I played against Abbadon, I had the fortune of a dominion squad of sisters (4 melta guns) and a vindicator. The vindi took out the bodyguards, while the sisters finished him off nicely (and then proceeded to do the same to Typhus). I would recommend a devastator squad, and just have them concentrate on him. 1 or 2 rounds should be enough to drop him. It's a lot of points to throw at one model, but...
LongFang

Postby Redbeard » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:44 pm

Another option is to realize that he's both slow and expensive. Either he's deepstriking, which has it's own inherent risks, or he's riding in a land raider, which is over 500 points for two models, or he's walking.

That said, you can let him kill some small stuff and still come out ahead on points. If he costs 275 (and I don't know if that's right or not, I'm guessing), but he only kills a couple of 5-man squads, he certainly wasn't worth those points.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:47 pm

The space marine army sounds like it doesn't have much to contend with Abbey. The best thing would be to feed him a unit of Thunder hammer/storm shield terminators. Another option would be an Ironclad dreadnought. The Ironclad could contain him in assault for quite a while.

Abbey is an elite killer and like you said the boys like thier heroes and elite choices. Unfortunately Abbey is a hero killer of the highest order.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby khornelord0129 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:21 am

The sanguinor could go head to head with him. Hes got a 3+ invul and has 5 attacks at S5, I6. So he might be the only one in a head to head battle to do it.
khornelord0129

Postby BrentS » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll admit that part of me felt like we were doing something wrong with the rules, seeing how easliy he was just cutting through anything he faced.

Redbeard wrote:Another option is to realize that he's both slow and expensive. Either he's deepstriking, which has it's own inherent risks, or he's riding in a land raider, which is over 500 points for two models, or he's walking.

That said, you can let him kill some small stuff and still come out ahead on points. If he costs 275 (and I don't know if that's right or not, I'm guessing), but he only kills a couple of 5-man squads, he certainly wasn't worth those points.

When my son Deep Strikes him he uses the Icon on his CSM squad to autolocate. That at least takes the risk out.

I agree with you that giving him smaller multiple targets is a good way to contain him. However, this feeds the same problem they are already facing. They love the elites and heavies so much that they tend not to have enough troops to suffer when a unit dies. Silly kids.

Generalissimo_Fred wrote:The space marine army sounds like it doesn't have much to contend with Abbey. The best thing would be to feed him a unit of Thunder hammer/storm shield terminators. Another option would be an Ironclad dreadnought. The Ironclad could contain him in assault for quite a while.

Interestingly that is just what my son's friend is doing - he bought an assault termi squad and has an iron clad dread now too. We'll see how future battles go.

Thanks again guys for all the feedback.

P.S. One of the armies I'm building/learning the rules with is a Tyranid list. I'm looking forward to seeing the Hive Tyrant go at Abaddon to see if the Bonesword/Lashwhip combo will work. At least I'll be able to strike my blows first!
BrentS

Postby Redbeard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:55 pm

BrentS wrote:When my son Deep Strikes him he uses the Icon on his CSM squad to autolocate. That at least takes the risk out.

It takes out the risk of losing him completely. It doesn't take care of the risk that if he comes in on turn 2, he's probably still got a good distance to trek, and if he comes in on turn 4 (or, even worse, 5), he's probably going to have extremely minimal impact on the game.

Right - If you're deep striking Abaddon to an icon (or any expensive CC guy), the sweet spot for arrival is really turn 3. Turn 2, the icon may well not be in location, turn 4, he can't make an assault until turn 5. Well, there's only a 33% chance that he'll show on turn 3. That's still risk.

I agree with you that giving him smaller multiple targets is a good way to contain him. However, this feeds the same problem they are already facing. They love the elites and heavies so much that they tend not to have enough troops to suffer when a unit dies. Silly kids.

Well, this is something for them to figure out. Space Marines don't do Hero-hammer as well as some other armies. If you can't win by running up the middle, you have to use a bit of guile.

Good luck :)
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Return to Tactics (40K)