How to make Ragnar Blackmane work?

Do you know the best way to beat that unbeatable 40k army? Well post it here and share the knowledge.

How to make Ragnar Blackmane work?

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Fri May 07, 2010 11:02 am

I think I've gotten way too into the building of tournament lists. Although I'd rather not gimp myself intentionally, I'd like to start trying to use fun units that can mix things up a bit, rather then the power of duplication that I usually go for.

Case in point is Ragnar Blackmane. I have a long history with that model, and I'd like to use him again. I think he's a bit overpriced for what he does, since he can die to one powerfist attack.

Any suggestions on how to work him into a list? Land raider with grey hunters? Just keep him out of base to base with fists or high strength models? He does tear up rank and file troops.

Thanks,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby VirusSD1 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Landraider with Wolf Guard. You can make a unit that when coming out of the Landraider can kill a full 30 man unit of Ork boyz in 1 round. Even a small elite 5 man wolf guard unit with wolf claws/frost blades can add that extra oomph to any side of a battlefield.
VirusSD1

Postby Chubs » Fri May 07, 2010 8:52 pm

For the time being, Grey knights make a good combo with Ragnar. Power armour and or terms... Yeah. Furious + Lot's of Atacks

I also like Grey Hunters with thier Standard, add in a MotW + add a Wolf guard w/ First and for added giggles, add in a Terminator Wolf Lord w/ Twin Claws and Saga of the Warrior born And/OR a Wolf Priest. He makes Ragnar more effective at getting hits... and thus a higher body count.

Virus hit on it though. A land Raider will do a lot for getting your 'uber unit in to combat. A rhino or Razor just isn't safe enough for a 200+ guy

The real question is can you find a use for Ulrik? For real... Why does that guys have be so bland? and for 180?
The handsome face of 2T1C
Chubs

Postby Redbeard » Sat May 08, 2010 10:08 am

VirusSD1 wrote:Landraider with Wolf Guard. You can make a unit that when coming out of the Landraider can kill a full 30 man unit of Ork boyz in 1 round.

Really, killing a unit of boyz in a turn isn't too hard, especially if you factor in combat res. How do they fare against a full unit of bloodcrushers?
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby VirusSD1 » Sat May 08, 2010 10:58 am

Redbeard wrote:
VirusSD1 wrote:Landraider with Wolf Guard. You can make a unit that when coming out of the Landraider can kill a full 30 man unit of Ork boyz in 1 round.

Really, killing a unit of boyz in a turn isn't too hard, especially if you factor in combat res. How do they fare against a full unit of bloodcrushers?

I meant you could create a Wolf Guard Unit with Ragnar that could kill a 30 man boyz unit without combat res. It would cost a bundle of points but I'm reasonably certain you could have similar results vs blood crushers.

10 x Wolf Guard Bolt Pistols + Wolf Claws
Ragnar + Wolf Priest

Wolf Priest will have cavalry as the unit (since they would be the biggest threat generally).

WG (only +1 attacks for charging)

30A x 3/4 (to hit) x 3/4 (to wound) x 2/3 (invuln saves) = 11.25

Now with + 3 attacks for charging from a good Ragnar roll

50A x 3/4 (to hit) x 3/4 (to wound) x 2/3 (invuln saves) = 18.75

Thus yes I would say this unit can take a full blood crusher unit and most likely kill it before it even gets to attack. Furious charge and +d3 attacks on the charge makes a deadly combination.
VirusSD1

Postby Crumpsky » Sat May 08, 2010 6:14 pm

Dont forget that if you use Ragnar's Wolf Call (or whatever the rule is) he is hitting at I6 S6 due to the +1 S from furious charge and +1 S from the frost weapon. So taking down some crushers wont be as hard as thought.
Crumpsky

Postby Redbeard » Sat May 08, 2010 7:20 pm

VirusSD1 wrote:10 x Wolf Guard Bolt Pistols + Wolf Claws
Ragnar + Wolf Priest

Wolf Priest will have cavalry as the unit (since they would be the biggest threat generally).

Okay, first of all, Crushers aren't cavalry, they're infantry. So, that probably throws the math off a bit. But, secondly...

That unit costs 670 points, and that doesn't include the transport that you're counting on to make sure that you get the charge and get your furious charge, +d3 attacks, and so on.

Adding in the cost of the Land Raider, and you're up around 950 points.

For that many points, you should be able to run through a 350 point unit.

What happens next is the sad part. That second unit of blood crushers, counter-charges you, and then you don't have furious charge (and they do), and they swing first, and you lose all ten of those expensive guys, and probably take some wounds on your characters, and suffer no retreat. Congrats, you've traded your 760 point unit for a 350 point unit.

I'm not saying wolf guard can't be made into combat beasts, but I don't think they can be made into combat beasts in a cost effective manner.

I think Ragnar is probably better used buffing a squad that's not so potent on their own. Sticking him with some Grey Hunters, and using them in the same manner, means those grey hunters are now considerably more powerful in an assault, and at a far more reasonable cost.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby VirusSD1 » Sat May 08, 2010 8:27 pm

Oh I don't disagree but your just giving a decent unit a few more attacks (possibly) for a high point cost that is Ragnar. Might as well throw him with a big rock unit since he's already a huge point cost.

Your also figuring those blood crushers will have that support right away which if you forward drop your first unit of them its hard unless you front load your forces to have the 2nd unit right there and ready to go. Blood crusher mobility is limited and if you're able to remove the first unit and can consolidate far enough away from the 2nd unit you can avoid them.

Actually to help with cost and a good combo I've seen is since you can field a 10 man Wolf Guard unit take 8 for the Landraider super squad and the last two as Terminators with Cyclone Missile launchers for the Long Fangs. It adds an additional 2 missile shots to an already impressive 5 missile squad.
VirusSD1

Return to Tactics (40K)