New Chaos vs. Grey Knights 1850

You just finished the best 40K game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

New Chaos vs. Grey Knights 1850

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:42 pm

Last week I got Swanson to come out of hibernation and play some 40k. I brought a chaos list I have been toying with for almost two weeks.

HQ - Sorcerer, level 3, spell familiar (both took all telepathy powers)
HQ - Sorcerer, level 3, spell familiar
a Warpsmith has been making an appearance in place of one of the Sorcerers from time to time

El - Helbrute,multimelta
El - Helbrute, plasma cannon

Tr - 10 CSM, 2 plasmaguns, CCW, vets
Tr - 10 CSM, Lascannon, plasmagun, CCW, vets
Tr - 10 CSM, 2 meltaguns, combi-melta,meltabomb, CCW, vets, rhino, havoc

Fa - Heldrake, bale flamer

Hv - Maulerfiend, tendrils
Hv - Forgefiend, ectoplasma head
Hv - Defiler, power scourge Hereto referred to as Django because the scourge looks like he just broke his chains and he's got 6 million weapons and attacks

We rolled up Big Guns Never Tire which meant I had 6 scoring units and Hammer n Anvil deployment. First turn was nightfight and I was going first.

Top of 1

All I had in front of me was a Land Raider full of assassins, 5 walking Paladins with Coteaz hiding behind the LR and 3 cowering henchmen in a psyback. I should have charged forward with 2 dreads, the Maulerfiend, the meltagun rhino squad and Django, but I didn't. I was to worried about the outflanking Interceptors, Dreadknight and Strike squad so I hunkered down on a hill behind a large sphinx and hoped my one Lascannon could take out the Land Riaider. It didn't and my turn stunk.

Bottom of 1

Nothing moves. The Land Raider fires two lascannons and blows the multimelta Helbrute sky high.

Top of 2.

WTF! It was dark out! How did he see my Helbrute. Damn Imperial searchlights. I realize my mistake from turn one and decide to charge a turn late and without a Helbrute and the rhino which is behind my army behind the hill. Basically the Maulerfiend gets invisibility cast on it and moves up to a ruin near the Land Raider and Paladins. The last Helbrute follows along.

Bottom of 2

10 Interceptors, 10 Strikes and a teleporting Dreadknight come in behind my army where I have a rhino with 10 guys who need to meltagun the Land Raider. The Strikes blow up the rhino. The Land Raider shoots the Helbrute, doesn't kill it and just makes it madder. The Paladins shoot at the Invisible Maulerfiend and get one penetrating hit. I fail my 2+ cover save and Greg rolls a 6 to detonate the Maulerfiend.

Rest of game - Highlights

I am hopelessly out maneuvered, outgunned and losing models fast. I am already crying that I lost this game on deployment. On turn 3 I get the Heldrake in and it proceeds to kill 10 Strikes and 10 Interceptors over 3 turns. Nothing can stop it and there is no escape from the Heldrakes wrath. I then realize what all the excitement on the Internet is about. This thing is great, right now, against an elite 3+ save army, which put 20 guys in my backfield who can't hurt It. Just to keep things in perspective.

The Forgefiend activates the daemonforge and strips the remaining hull points off the Land Raider.

The Dreadknights jumps from unit to unit and avoids Django in combat by hiding in challenges I have to accept, but eventually the DK runs out of challenges and an invisible Django cuts down the Dreadknight.

We have very little left on the board at the end. We tie on objectives, but Greg has First Blood and Warlord to get the victory.

Game 2

This time it's kill points in a Dawn of War deployment. I'm going first again. I spread out along my line. Greg castles in the left corner, scouts up to my face and steals the initiative. He then immobilizes the Maulerfiend on turn 1. I can't repair that, because I left the Warpsmith out of this list, and the Maulerfiend would survive the whole game sitting in its same spot. It even regenerates its hull points back, but still stays immobilized.

I learn my lesson from game 1 and cast invisibility on the rhino which drives up 12", smokes, and turbo boosts 6" more to get into the face of the Land Raider. The whole GK army shoots at it, but I make all my 2+ saves and on the next turn the meltagun guys get out and torch the land raider.

I kill the Grand Master again when I do 4 wounds to its squad with the havoc launcher and he rolls three 1's again!

At one point I have both Sorcerers in the middle of the table sending out Puppet Master spells everywhere. I was taking over all sorts of GK shooting. It reminded me of the final battle between Evil and the Midgets in the Fortress of Ultimate Darkness at the end of Time Bandits. It was great.

I get an invisible Helbrute into the Dreadknight who makes 3 out of 4 5+ saves to live. He then rolls 3 put of 4 5+ to hit me back and cripples the Helbrute.

The worst was when I got the other Helbrute in combat with Coteaz and the Paladins and it was invisible. Coteaz rolls 3 5's to hit it and then rolls 3 6's to explode it. I hate Coteaz.

In the end I had to send in Django who pounded on Coteaz and the Paladins for two turns while they were under Hallucination and could not even swing back.

Oh and by the way the Heldrake came in and killed all the Interceptors and most of the Strikes again. There really is no stopping that boy.

I like this tool box version of chaos. The Sorcerers are very deadly paired up like that. Greg and I both agreed that Django the Defiler just has to go. He lived both games, but he never lived up to his damage potential. I think 3 Nurgle Oblits would be more of a threat at that price. Well have to see because I am Leary of the leadership drop on Oblits.
Generalissimo_Fred

Re: New Chaos vs. Grey Knights 1850

Postby GregSwanson » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:36 pm

I hate that stinking Hel Drake. I hads nothing to stop it and every time I did hit it, it made its five plus save or regenerated the hull point....
That crazy fireman!
I am not smart but I can lift heavy things!
In the grim darkness of the future, there is only war. There are not massive army costume parties and campy parade floats. - xNickBaranx
GregSwanson

Postby Depayen » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:28 am

I agree with you Greg. I had my opponent on his heels last night. In the 3rd round the drake came in and it was just mudering everything it touched. It won him the game. I shot at it only could glance it and for every 1 hull point I would do he would jink save 3 of them. Hel Drake kill List; 2 venoms, fire dragons, eldrad and 2 trueborn squad. All this with one can anyone see were this is going.
Death comes at high Speed!
Here cometh the orangemen!

O'where O'where will I pop in. Go first I will let you shoot at nothing.
Depayen

Postby Lord Krungharr » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:06 pm

The Heldrake always gets wrecked every time I play it. I must not be positioning it very well on the table; usually get 2 good turns of flaming off infantry, but then it takes a bunch of S4 shots up its rear end and dies, even with the 5+ Daemon save (don't have to Jink with a Heldrake).

There's still the debate about the Heldrake's arc of fire too, is it a Hull-mounted head or can the neck swivel 180 much like a real head? I guess with the Baleflamer the narrow end just has to be closer than the big end, so it doesn't matter as much with that weapon; but if one were to take the Hades autocannon instead people argue about that.

I tried a 3 Level Psyker Daemon Prince on Satyrday and Iron Arm is absolutely the best for a Daemon Prince, being such a preferred target. But I had Psychic Shriek and Nurgle's Rot, and used together they really didn't do much damage, not even against Tyranids who ended up spawning like 100 gaunts. Not to mention sinking 320 points into 1 model is just stupid, though he fared much better vs the Space Marines, except after charging 5 Terminators who made their invuls and Fisted him to death.

The pair of psykers is a neat idea, I'll give that a whirl sometime soon, maybe even Nurgle psyker-bikers running with Spawn.
Lord Krungharr

Postby Depayen » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:53 am

By the way Fred nice report.
Death comes at high Speed!
Here cometh the orangemen!

O'where O'where will I pop in. Go first I will let you shoot at nothing.
Depayen

Return to Battle Reports (40K)