Nurgle Bomb goes off with the new Codex Chaos

You just finished the best 40K game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

Nurgle Bomb goes off with the new Codex Chaos

Postby Lord Krungharr » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:23 pm

I played my first new Chaos Marines Codex game today, 1999pts. with all Nurgle (aside from the Heldrake). Opponent had pretty much a generic Black Legion style army with a Tzeentch Termie Sorcerer, 4 Missile havoc squad (no flakk), quad gun n line, 8 Raptors, walking Khorne lord w Daemon Axe.

Typhus n 30 zombies, Bike Lord/Burning Brand w 5 Spawn, 10 Plague Marines/2Melta Guns/Rhino n Dozer, Heldrake, 3 Oblits.

Allies were Epidemius/15 Plaguebearers/Daemons Prince w wings, breath, iron hide as Allies.

Emperor's will/Hammer n Anvil. Both of us put our objectives in the center rear of our zones.

DP came in 1st turn close to the enemy line, not my first choice of waves of course. Pretty much just moved everything up, Typhus blob on my left, BikerSpawn to center-right, Rhino to right. Oblits killed a Termie and 1 wound on the quad gun with plasma cannons.
Survived pretty much all shooting aside from a zombie or two.

Epi n company came in, and scattered off the table into ongoing reserves (dammit). No Heldrake though. Prince glided to the edge of a unit of Marines to the edge of the table and breathed away 4, and foolishly I decided to shoot the disembarked Plague Marines at them to get 4 more dead. Lord rode up to Burn away 4 of the unit next to the edge unit. Oblits killed another 2 guys behind the line in the center. Typhus blob just moved up a bit more, not quite in range to Plague Wind (the 5" blast psychic power). Prince managed to assault and kill the last dude (the Champion) then was left unengaged and exposed to shooting, and the Lord and Spawn assaulted and finished off that other Marines unit handily.
His 'Drake didn't come in, nor the Raptors. Tzeentch sorcerer came up to assault the Lord unit. Unit of Marines with Khorne lord moved towards the Typhus blob, killing a few more zombies with shooting, do not assault though. Oblits took a wound from Termies and autocannon havocs which I forgot about the whole game. Tzeentch sorcerer kills the Lord with the Force weapon and behold! becomes a Daemon Prince. The Spawn wound him once.

Heldrake came in aiming and missing completely with the hades cannon at the quad gun (no other good targets in the enemy line), and suffered a hullpoint from the quad gun. Epi comes in and scattered real close, but not close enough, to my objective, no mishap this time though....time for the Tally to begin. Typhus blob moves up and he psychic blasts nothing due to scattering, fails the assault range, overwatch kills only 2 zombies. Plague Marines re-embark to the Rhino, then the Rhino moves up further to the right, next to the Spawn/new DP battle. Oblits kill a couple more guys behind the lines with plasma cannons. Spawn do another 2 wounds to the Prince, suffering 1 wound themselves.
His Raptors drop in behind my Heldrake and finish off the Drake from the arse-end with glancing bolt pistol fire (SO lame). Still no Drake for him though. The Missile Havocs wreck and Stun the Rhino, so the Plaguers disembark. His Lord unit charges my Typhus blob, of course has to accept the challenge from his Lord, and at Typhus' initiative step (which is 5 by the way) detonates his Destroyer Hive to kill 2 enemies, 1 wound on the enemy Lord, and takes out 4 zombies (which do in fact count towards the Tally! just says any model killed by a follower of Nurgle, and the Destroyer Hive mentions in its rules it can affect friend and foe). Then some zombies die, Typhus suffers a wound from the Khorne Lord, and proceeds to kill the Lord at the ManReaper step of I1, and then Gifts himself into a damn Spawn ! At least he was a Nurgle Spawn. A Plague Marine dies to Cultist fire too on my right side, whilst the Spawn are down to 2 models, DP at 2 wounds.

Epi and company move towards the Raptors but can't reach them in assault, no deaths to Overwatch however. Tally is helping things out a bit now, I think I was at the Noxious Touch stage now (new cumulative effects are not immediate, but begin in my turn). So the Spawn finish off the Prince, the Plague Marines move slowly towards his objective. I realize I'm not supposed to fire the Oblits same weapons twice in a row, so use assault cannons to do a death behind his line. His remaining dudes on the left blob side run away.
His Drake comes in and Vector Strikes the Plague Marines which they shake off easily, then bale-flames the Oblits to kill 1. Raptors charge the Epi unit, taking a couple Plaguebearers away, Epi refuses a challenge, 2 Raptors die. Plague Marines get shot, alot, and lose 2 more, then get charged by the Termies....the Plague Champion manages to survive his Termie champ's lightning claws, and kills him, and voila! becomes a Daemon Prince of Nurgle! 2 more Plague Marines die to the remaining Termies, and they actually kill 1 Termie (hooray for 3+ FNP and noxious touch :mrgreen: )

Fun times now that the Tally is high. Spawn charge into Termies to help, and Termies all die, solely due to the Daemon Prince. Oblits whiff on hitting the damn Drake's rear. More Raptors die, so do a couple Plaguebearers, slow slow slow combat.
Heldrake moves further left to flame zombies n Spawn Lord, down to like 7 or 8 zombies. They get charged by the 3 dudes left over there who regrouped, and they kill all the remaining zombies (who by the way do not actually have the Mark of Nurgle). More slow stalemate w the Raptors. Down to 4 PlagueMarines on the right side, closing in for his objective. They and the Prince and Spawns move into objective contesting range.

We get a turn 6, but my opponent concedes defeat (he had to drive his girlfriend to work), but I would've contested or possibly completely taken his objective with the Prince and Plague Marines, and the Raptor combat was too far for me to kill them and then consolidate to my objective there. But I got first blood and slay the warlord, so that's for certain.

So this was a great practice test for the new Codex. We had tons of cool Mutation action, which with all the mandatory challenges can be tricky business.
The think the Burning Brand of Skalathrax is actually pretty neat for 30 points, and on a bike can replace the twin-linked bolter on the bike itself.
In a tournament I probably would still take the Hades Cannon on my Heldrake for more anti-flyer defense, as Necron flying circuses rule the day usually, but that bale-flamer is really nice too; Vector Striking whilst Zooming is pretty awesome.
Typhus could be very effective at raising a Tally, I might Deep strike him with Oblits tomorrow, we'll see. Zombies and other blobs can be easily wiped out, and can't do much back. So perhaps giving Cultists the Mark of Nurgle would be worth the 2 pts/model in this army, although autoguns probably wouldn't do too many wounds, and I think the math makes the FNP better than T4 for holding objectives.
I wouldn't mind trying a Chaos Marines DP with the Black Mace instead of Typhus. But with Nurgle, that would be like 265 or something with wings; they can't run with Nurgle so wings are a must I'd say. I guess the Heldrake points could go to an Aegis Line/Quad Gun and more Plague Marines rather than zombies. That may be worth while to consider, as zombies can't add to the Tally and die easily enough to match the speed at which 7 or 8 Plague Marines would die, and the Quad Gun can be the anti-air. I want to keep tweaking the Nurgle Bomb as I think it's very competitive now even in a tournament setting, although a more balanced force may be superior. That's to try next weekend.
Lord Krungharr

Re: Nurgle Bomb goes off with the new Codex Chaos

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:16 am

Thanks for the report. If you take a quad gun, then you don't need the hell drake for antiaircraft. Exchange he hell drake for a unit of havocs with flak missiles and mark of nurgle. This way you still have to antiaircraft units, but at least the havocs can contribute to the tally and do it from turn one.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Redbeard » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:48 am

Lord Krungharr wrote:...Tzeentch sorcerer kills the Lord with the Force weapon and behold! becomes a Daemon Prince.

Typhus suffers a wound from the Khorne Lord, and proceeds to kill the Lord at the ManReaper step of I1, and then Gifts himself into a damn Spawn !

If there's one thing I've learned from 6th, it's that rolling on random tables is wacky crazy fun!
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:18 am

I think the chaos player should play the Looney Tunes theme song right before rolling on the chaos table.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Lord Krungharr » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:44 pm

I can't wait to try out Huron Blackheart and a Tzeentch Lord with the Scrolls of Magnus for all sorts of whacky psychic madness!
Lord Krungharr

Return to Battle Reports (40K)