Grey Knight/Necron alliance vs. Necrons

You just finished the best 40K game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

Grey Knight/Necron alliance vs. Necrons

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:20 am

BC is headed to Nova and he is going to whip some butt. First he needs to get past the obstacle course of crazy lists I have been throwing at him. Up next is one of the strongest 6th edition lists out there. I stole Grippando's GK/IG list and turned into a more refined flyer killing machine. In other owrds I changed the things I don't own and told everyone it was really a better choice.

GK/Necrons - 2000pts

HQ - Coteaz (because he is cheap, broken, and like Visa he's everywhere you'd like to be)
TR - 3 warrior henchmen, Psyback, searchlight
TR - 6 Psykers, warrior henchmen, Chimera, searchlight
TR - 10 GK terminators, banner, 2 psycannons, ammo
HV - Psy-rifleman dread
HV - Psy-rifleman dread
HV - Psy-rifleman dread
Aegis Defense Line, Icarus Lascannnon

HQ - Overlord, warscythe
TR - 5 warriors, Nightscythe
HV - Doomscythe (so aptly named)

I am a twin-linked nightmare of high stength badness with a GK terminator core. Son of Jor'el, KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!!

BC's better painted Necrons - 2000pts

HQ - Destroyer Lord, weave
HQ - Destroyer Lord, weave
TR - 5 warriors
TR - 5 immortals
TR - 5 immortals
FA - 6 wraiths, 2 whips
FA - 6 wraiths, 2 whips
HV - Doomscythe
HV - Doomscythe
HV - Annihilation Barge (awkward... he's got an inferiority complex around all the flyers)
Aegis Defense Line with Communication Relay

We set up the terrain Nova style which is very boring and mirrored across the table. It sets up kill zone on the sides and a hiding spot in the center. Dawn of war deployment and I let the BC go first.

Primary - victory points in table quarters
Seconday - claim the most out of 5 symetrically placed objective
Tertiary - kill points (must win by 3)

His ADL is deployed center right, but about 2" from his board edge. Wraith group 1 is on the left. Wraithgroup 2 on the right and the barge sits awkwardly among the Lord+ wraiths on the left. The 3 foot units are hiding behind the ADL ready to activate the Comms. His Warlord trait is unremarkable. Mine subtract 1 from his reserve rolls to make getting in those flyers a little harder.

I roll out the ADL on the far left with the 90" range Incarus on the extreme left with LOS to the glass case almost 3' from the table on the right. Termies and Coteaz go behind the line. Two psybacks go behind them about 8" and a dread is on the back line in the middle. 2 dreads, a psyback and the chimera full of crazed psykers joins the flyers in reserve.

Necron top of 1

The barge and leftside wraiths move to the right behind the center piece of large LOS blocking terrain. The right wraiths move forward as far as possible.

GK/Necron 1

The Termies get prescience and move up to the Icarus. The dread and psybacks blow smoke.

Necron top of 2

With -1 to his reserve rolls, BC gets all his flyers on with no rerolls. He sends all 5 at the Termies. I intercept a Doomscythe and after a jink I manage to glance it. The left wraiths doubleback and head to my ADL. The right wraiths start to come around the terrain piece on my side. Shooting into the Termies drops 6 of them including a psycannon. The psybacks make their smoke saves and the dread takes a glance.

GK/Necron 2

Excellent. All 5 of his flyers are bunched up on the left side and my Doomscythe can clip 3 of them with ease. I've got 2 more dread to come on with the 3rd on on the board and the 2 Nightscythes will get first shot on the flyers to. I should be able to take down 4 of his 5 flyers and all 5 with a little luck. My 3 flyers and both dreads fail thier reserve roll. I get the Chimera and the last psyback. Curses!

The Chimera comes on the extreme right side along with the psyback whill move up a total of 18" along the right board edge. I cast prescience (rerolls) and a cover denying ability on the termies who shoot the wounded Doomscythe. I get one pen and immobilise it (which has no effect on Necron flyers). My Psykers unleash a str 8, ap1 large blast into the side of the wraiths and away from the D-Lord. I get 4 of them, but only kill 1.

Necron top of 3

4 flyers begin to overrun my ADL, but still have plenty of targets. They blow up 2 psybacks and kill a termie. The left wraiths jump closer to tyhe termies, but don't assault. The Left wraiths go after the chimera while the D-Lord breaks off and goes after my lone dread. The dread lives and take a wound off the Lord. The wraiths lose one to overwatch, but assault the chimera. It blows up and the passengers emergency disembark. We can find no negative to this and the psykers get away. One flyer blows up the last psyback on the far right.

GK/Necron 3

Everything comes on this turn. Both dreads move next to the wraiths on the right and shoot into them killing one. The psykers hit them again and kill one more. The Termies turn the Icarus on the wounded Doomscythe and blow it up. My flyers take out 2 more of his flyers and take hull points off another. The D-Lord kills my dread in combat.

Necron turn 4

The wriths on the left jump the termies and kill coteaz. The last termie breaks and regroups at the board edge. The 2 flyers shuffle around, but do no damage. The wraiths on the left assault the 2 dreads. I overwatch 2 of them and the lone one hits a dread. The wounded D-Lord assaults the other. I wound the wraith and the sticks in combat after taking another wound from the dread.

GK/Necron turn 4

My 3 flyers zoom around and kill the last 2 flyers. The D-Lord in assault kills the dread and moves towards the psykers.

Necron top of 5

The D-Lord jumps the Psykers, but does no damage and we stick. You stink!! My last dread kills the wraith in assault. The A. Barge, which has been taking aimless shots at flyers so far, manages to down the Nightscythe with the warlord! That hurt. The Wraiths on the far left jump the last terminator and the D-Lord over there breaks off and heads to the right.

GK/Necron turn 5

I move the Overlord and warriors onto the table near the fighting, one wound, D-Lord. I can't assault because 6e stinks! I drop a warrior unit in the upper left table quarter and claim an objective. The Nightscythe then blows away the 5 enemy warriors holding it. The Doomscythe kills 4 of 5 immortals in the back, but all 4 get back up. In assault the D-Lord wipes out the psykers and moves away from my Overlord. My Dread blows up the A. Barge in an act of revenge. (little late there fella) I'm winning, but the game continues.

Necron top of 6

5 warriors rapid fire into 2 warrior henchmen holding the lower left objective and kill them, claiming the objective. The wounded D-Lord kills the last dread in the same quadrant. The unwounded D-Lord makes it to the bottom left quadrant and takes it away form me.

GK/Necron turn 6

I move the Doomscythe and last Nightscythe into the upper right quadrant. I drop down some warriors and kill off an enemy warrior squad. The Doomscythe takes out a 5-man immortal squad up there also. My Overlord and 5 warriors assault the enemy warriors in the lower right quadrant. I kill one and they run away.

We both have 2 quadrants and I have an objective for the win, but the game goes to turn 7.

Necron top of 7

The 4-man warrior squad regroups and between them and the last 5-man immortal squad they kill more warriors in the upper right.

GK/Necron turn 7

I shoot the 1-wound D-Lord with the Doomscythe and kill him. I need to kill the last 4 warriors with an Overlord assault, but he fails and the game ends with The Necrons holding the field and the GK/Necron alliance in shambles.

Flyers are boss. I got decimated by flyers and I made a comeback because of flyers. We learned that even though I was outnumbered 5-3 in flyers, coming in 2nd gave my flyers a superior advantage. I had some pretty good anti-flyer ground troops that helped, but without my 3 flyers getting the jump on his 5, I would not have eliminated them and gotten air supremecy. Once achieved, my air supremecy allowed me to attack units all over the place with devestating firepower.

BC did a good job of concentrating on the big termie unit early on and neutering them. We talked and maybe I should have just started with all the dreads on the table. That way he either has to take some shots off the termies or get shot at by the dreads on the next turn. As is, being in reserve was the worst plan because they didn't come in. Another problem was the Termies were about the only unit who could man the Icarus and that left them stationary and predictable. My Termies were the only thing that could handle the wraiths in assault, but they were stuck in one place. I did manage to eliminate one unit of wraiths by spreading out over a large area and as they jumped from place to place I would shoot them as they came in. This eventually worked to bring one unit down, but if they had some flyer help to stop my shooting I don't think they would have died.

Good close game. This game is really cementing with me the idea that I need Necron Flyers allies. They can only ally, where thier troops still count as scoring, with Chaos Marines, Grey Knights, Orks and Tau.
Generalissimo_Fred

Re: Grey Knight/Necron alliance vs. Necrons

Postby seahawk » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:58 am

Yes, you've learned the valuable lesson: if both armies have flyers, the one who goes second gets the advantage. I like that!

Of course, if you're allowed to use a bunch of interceptor gear from IA: Aeronautica, then there's less of an advantage.

Also, NOVA needs to let go of 5th. The game does quite well without the 3-objective, even-terrained tables now.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:11 pm

seahawk wrote:
Also, NOVA needs to let go of 5th. The game does quite well without the 3-objective, even-terrained tables now.

Amen to that.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby DaGrippster » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:34 pm

I stole Grippando's GK/IG list and turned into a more refined flyer killing machine. In other owrds I changed the things I don't own and told everyone it was really a better choice.

Nice :lol: I like it. I do prefer purifiers to terminators but the necron allies are an interesting change.

Both of my games against Brian were extremely close as well, I think his list will do very well against armies that are not prepared to face flyers.
DaGrippster

Return to Battle Reports (40K)