Round Robin HQ battle

You just finished the best 40K game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

Round Robin HQ battle

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:28 pm

A couple weeks ago The Last Square had its end of the year tourney much like the format to this years AWC final event. It featured 16 players all seeded to how they finished after several tournaments. I had them play W/L with the missions right out of the book to decide each round. The final round I had the players roll the mission right out of the book. It created balanced games, that usually came down to the wire. Kohl unfortunately stunk up the field and won with his space wolves.

The real excitment was in the little HQ tourney I had everyone participate in. The players had to choose an HQ out of their list to fight in a round robin, winner moves on, type format.

The Hq's lined up 6" apart and rolled off. Winner got to go first, had one shooting phase/ psychic phase (whatever they would normaly get if they had a turn before assaulting) and then had to charge in. There was no combat resolution, only wounds caused through the melee. When one HQ died, they lined up again, with the other HQ getting to go first. If there was a tie at the end, then the final round they began as if in an ongoing melee, where neither of the Hq's charged to settle it for a third and final round. First HQ to win 2 rounds moved on.

Here was the line-up. Im curious if anyone has predictions as to how the rounds went. Ill post periodic updates.

Round 1 line-ups, (note the seeding was based on how the players were ranked for the tournament, and not the HQ's themselves)

1. Asdrubul Vect (no ride)
16. Belial

8. Logan Grimnar
9. Abbadon

4. Eldrad
13. Abbadon

5. Farseer (doom guide)
12. Swarmlord

6. Archon (shadowfield, huskblade)
11. Bloodthirster

3. Runepriest (jaws, lightning)
14. Lysander

7. Eldrad
10. Draigo

2. Grey KNight Libby (might, shrouding, stave)
15. IG commander with powersword

The final results may surprise you.

Let me know who you folks think won matches, or if your bold enough, guess who won the whole thing.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby seahawk » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:12 pm

My guesses!

1. Vect
2. Abbadon
3. Eldrad
4. Swarmlord
5. Archon
6. Lysander
7. Draigo
8. Librarian

Overall winner was Eldrad or Swarmlord.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Redbeard » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:13 pm

Could they use psychic powers that were allowed during combat? Hammerhand/Fortune/etc? or after that initial set, were those off?
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:26 pm

Absolutely, anything that would be allowed in the game legally was allowed (things like the swarmlord could give himself preferred enemy when it was his "turn" of melee) Eldrad would be able to fortune, doom, things like that, regardless of how far into the melee it was.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:12 am

Round 1 results (winners)

Asdrubal

Logan

Abbadon

Swarmlord

Bloodthirster

Lysander

Eldrad

Grey Knight Libby

Ill post how that round went later today.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby seahawk » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:12 pm

Dang, was wrong on 3 of the 8. Oh well, that's still above 50% :D
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:07 am

Round 2

The final four was

Logan

Swarmlord

Bloodthirster

And after a 20 minute fight which saw more wounds caused by perils than by actual combat, Eldrad defeated the Grey Knight libby.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby seahawk » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:49 pm

So Logan, Swarmlord, Bloodthirster, and Eldrad.

Swarmlord kills Logan, Eldrad kills Bloodthirster (maybe).

In either case, the Swarmlord or Eldrad wins (as I predicted!)

But if I'm forced to guess...and going by the "the final results may surprise you" line you gave, I'd say Eldrad, despite the odds being stacked massively against him should he fight the Swarmlord.
seahawk

Postby Turtle » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:23 pm

thirster should beat eldrad, one attack gets through and it's instant death city
"Here have a beer, Marines play better with beer: Rhysk
Turtle

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:43 pm

Swarmlord and Bloodthirster were the final two.

Swarmlord won the roll off and with the help of paroxysm, won the first round.

The Bloodthirsters WS and Strength advantage pulled through the final two rounds killing the Swarmlord.

After all the fancy rules with all the other HQ's involved it was good old fashioned dice rolls , with no special rules behind them that won the tourney. In the 40k fluff the Bloodthirster is the most feared creature in melee, and this tourney seemed to back that claim up. I did not think it would make it to the final round, let alone win the tourney of HQ's.

One of the guys who games at The Last Square came up with this idea and it added a nice side story to the main tourney, especially since both gentlemen in the final HQ fight had lost their first game of the W/L tourney.

It could be something to think about for the final 16 tourney you folks are holding for the AWC series. I had everyones HQ's face off for the first round before the first games, and it really helped break up some of the nerves for folks, and I would just have the winners face off during break. With the exception of the Eldrad-Libby fight nearly every match was less than 3 minutes. It was a lot of fun.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby seahawk » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:19 am

I would have figured with a rerollable 3+ inv save and a rerollable 2+ to wound, Eldrad would have the bloodthirster licked.

I've played a bloodthirster vs swarmlord battle before...the bloodthirster got smacked down ;)
seahawk

Postby Turtle » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:20 pm

but you gotta get 4 wounds through to kill a thirster, thats 4 turns, and he gets to bounce half of them, whereas, 5 attacks needing 3's and then 2's you have to make all the saves every turn, dice still have 1's and 2's on them

KASPLAT!!!!
"Here have a beer, Marines play better with beer: Rhysk
Turtle

Postby Lord Krungharr » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:57 pm

I am happy to hear a Daemon won something! Hooray for the Bloodthirster! I think I will use one in my next game playing my Daemons now.
Lord Krungharr

Postby Lord Krungharr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:02 pm

Was anyone else surprised that Abbadon didn't fare better? Of course if he rolls a 1 with his Drachnyen.............
Lord Krungharr

Return to Battle Reports (40K)