Deathwing vs. Chaos marines at 1500pts

You just finished the best 40K game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

Deathwing vs. Chaos marines at 1500pts

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:47 am

More Kenosha practice for Greg.

Greg's Deathwing

HQ - Belial TH / SS
TR - 3 x Deathwing Squads with CML 1 with standard and apothecary
EL - Venerable Dread with TLLC and HF extra armor
TR - 10 Man Tac Squad with melta gun and Lascannon in twin las razorback
FA - 2 x Typhoon Speeders with Multimeltas

My Chaos Marine Warband

HQ - Daemon Prince, mark of slaanesh, wings, lash of submission
HQ - Daemon Prince, mark of slaanesh, wings, lash of submission

EL - 4 Terminators, champion, chainfist, heavy flamer, 3 combi-meltas

TR - 10 CSM, champ, fist, 2 meltaguns, icon of glory, rhino
TR - 9 Berzerkers, champ, fist, icon, rhino
TR - 5 Lesser Daemons

HV - 2 Obliterators
HV - 2 Obliterators
HV - 5 Havocs, 3 autocannons, icon of glory

Primary mission was claim the center which was on top of a huge LOS blocking ziggerot. Secondary was get a troop into the enemy deployment zone and tertiary was to kill the HQ. Delpoyment zones were 24" squares in opposite corners to each other.

I won the roll and went first. I put the Havocs back in some ruins and front loaded my deployment zone with 2 rhinos, 2 DP's and 4 Obliterators. The Termies would deep strike and the Daemons were in reserve. Greg reserved his whole army with one unit of termies deep striking in.

Turn 1

I flew both DP's behind the ziggerot and out of LOS to Gregs long table edge. The Oblits moved towards a ruin and wall structure on my left and about 14" from Gregs long table edge. The rhino's drove in circles very confused on what to do. One ended up near the oblits and the other near the ziggerot.

Turn 2

The Termie come in and land just outside the ruins near the onlits where they run into during the shooting phase. The Oblits make it to the wall and I use one rhino to partially block them from most of Gregs long table edge. The Havocs shuffle around a bit with the icon moving closer to the ziggerot. The Berzerker Rhino moves in front and past the ziggerot heading for the opposite table quarter.

All 3 termies and one speeder come in. The deep strikers land behind the havocs and run towards them. The other two units come on in front of the ziggerot with the speeder behind. All shots go into a unit of oblits who make their 2+ armor save (and one 4+ cover from a multi-melta)

Turn 3

The lesser daemons come in off the havoc icon and run behind the ziggerot. The Havocs blow up the speeder. One DP jumps towards the havocs and lashes the deep striking termies into a clump for the oblits who manage to kill 3 and leave 2. The other DP jump up along side the ziggerot and lashes another unit of termies towards the Berzerkers who got out to charge them. One dies from shooting and 3 more from attacks to leave the cyclone missile launcher termies to face 8 Berzerkers.

The Ven Dread comes on the extreme left croner and takes a shot at a DP, but fails to wound. The second speeder comes up 12" in front of the dread and shoots a MM at an oblit who makes his save. Belial and company charge the Berzerkers and wipe them all out.

Turn 4

The Havocs down the 2nd speeder and the termies in the ruins move towards the venerable dread. Both Princes jump up and lash Belials squad back and away from the chaos lines. The CSM rhino makes a mad dash across the front of the Ziggerot to get to the Deathwings deployment zone. The Onlits manage to kill 2 termies from belial's squad.

The tactical squad comes in on the right side to stop the CSM squad from getting into the deployment zone. The razorback comes on in front of the Oblits and nukes one of them. The Dread moves up and assaults the termies in the ruins. The Ven Dread will finally die to the chainfist on turn 6 after losing it's arms and getting immobilised, but it did take out 3 termies before dying to the last one. The CSM rhino is immobilised by Belial's squad cyclone missile launcher. The lone cyclone from the first squad charges the rhino, but whiffs. The 2 deep striking termies reach the havocs and kill 3 who run away and are never heard from again.

Turn 5.

The CSM disembark and move to charge a lashed tactical squad. 27 attacks later I have killed one marine and then the power fist whiffs. We draw combat. The Oblits kill the lone cyclone termie and the Berzerker rhino rams the razorback to no damage. Lesser Daemons climb the steps of the ziggerot to claim the primary objective.

Belials squad wipes out the CSM squad.

Turn 6

I lash the 2 termies who killed the Havocs out of my deployment zone and shoot them with oblits. One remains the Berzerker rhino kills him with a combi-bolter.

I've got primary and that's it. The Ziggerot played a huge roll in allowing the DP's to remain hidden until needed. I felt Gregs best chance was to deploy in the far corner with speeders and one unit of termies. This ould allow him to fire around the back of the ziggerot with him long range and hopefully take out a prince. Since he was going second this would also have allowed him to boost a speeder to contest the primary if necessary. Once the speeders went down I knew the lashes would keep termies away from the primary objective.

I think all your missing is a regular Land Raider. Give it to Belials squad and you have a mobile assault force to drive through Lash range and take one of those buggers out

One deep striking termie unti is good, but two would have been great
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Lord Krungharr » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:46 pm

Don't forget that Obliterators have the Eternal Warrior since they count as Daemon now. So they can't be insta-killed by the lascannon shot from the Razorback.
That really saved my butt in the last AWC Bunker tournie.
Lord Krungharr

Postby GregSwanson » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:35 pm

No they dont get rules form the other codex the Daemon rule only applies to units in the Daemon codex
That crazy fireman!
I am not smart but I can lift heavy things!
In the grim darkness of the future, there is only war. There are not massive army costume parties and campy parade floats. - xNickBaranx
GregSwanson

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:23 pm

Greg is right. Oblits are daemons only for the purposes of Grey Knights interacting with them. Oblits don't get added bonus's from the daemon codex.

Think of it this way. Smoke launchers in the Black Templar codex state that all penetrating shots are glancing when the smoke launchers are activated. It doesn't say that in the Blood Angel codex even though BA and BT both have smoke launchers. The Chaos codex doesn't say Oblits have eternal warrior and thus they don't.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Lord Krungharr » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:47 pm

No, you are both incorrect. The GK thing said they count as Daemon, not count as Daemon when playing GKs.

Mitch (Elthniar I think?) ruled they get Eternal Warrior at the last AWC tournament.
Lord Krungharr

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:49 pm

Then Mitch is wrong. Sorry. Mitch can rule that Eldar Guardians are now Avatars, but that doesn't make it right.

If you played it that way at the AWC tourney then you cheated all your opponents big time. You took the best ability from the Daemon codex and claimed it for Oblits, but you left out the Daemonic Assault rule. Did half your oblits go into reserve with the other half deep striking on your first turn? If not then you cherry picked the one good rule of the codex, but left the bad one out.
Generalissimo_Fred

Return to Battle Reports (40K)