1850pt Tyranids at the Dec. AWC

You just finished the best 40K game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

1850pt Tyranids at the Dec. AWC

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:56 pm

I've had some ideas for Tyranids for a while now. I've been a big advocate for Lictors and enemy deployment disruption, but I had never tried it out. Most of my practice takes place in my head, but eventually I need to try it on the tabletop. Two months ago I used the opportunity of the 400pt Combat Patrol tournament to paint up a few bugs and try them out. Needless to say the Bugs did very well and I was slightly encouraged.

Over the next two months I worked to get the rest of the army finished for the December tournament. That was my goal and I must say, again, that if it wasn't for the painting requirement at the AWC series events I would never paint anything. I thank Chris for putting that rule in.

I painted up a bunch of extra units because I wasn't sure what to bring and didn't finilize the list until Friday morning.

HQ - Swarmlord, Tyrant Guard

EL - 7 Ymgarl Stealers
EL - 3 Hive Guard
EL - 3 Zopes

TR - 18 Hormagants with poison
TR - 18 Hormagants with poison
TR - 20 Genestealers

HV - Trygon Prime
HV - Trygon with adrenal glands

For the longest time I had a Tyranid Prime as HQ and no Swarmlord. I used those extra points for Ravenors and devourer gants. However I only have hormagants for troops and in my mind they work best with the Swarmlord. So if I take Hoppies, I need to take Swarmy. Lictors and Zopes went back and forth, but in the end I wanted the extra synapse and I needed the Zopes.

Before the tournament I told anyone who would listen that I already had a new list for the bugs and this one was an older version. That's true. I wanted a 2nd big unit of stealers, the Parasite and some gargoyles. The Swarmlord would go away along with possibly a trygon. That was my plan, before the tournament.

Looking around we had 17 players and 6 of them were Space Wolves. I hate space wolves, I really do. Brian was running the event and with an odd number he needed to play the ringer army. This tournament used 3 victory conditions. All you need to do to win is have accomplish more VC than your opponent. Victory points would break a tie. It didn't matter if you beat your opponent 3-0 or 1-0 you both would still get the same battle points for a victory. I feel this helps armies that aren't designed to table an opponent and it also mitigates some easy matchups someone might get.

Round 1 vs. Space Wolves

Victory Conditions

1. Hold the most objective markers
2. Killpoints
3. Get more units off your opponents board edge

I won first turn and was intruduced to the Space Wolves Chooser of the Slain. What do you mean I don't get to deploy infiltrators where I want? That's 20 Genestealers man!! I was forced to infiltrate the stealers on the far right flank where they could move up behind a building. I moved forward with a double line of Hoppies followed by the Swarnlord. Hive Guard foulnd a building to hide behind and blow away a rhino. The Zopes were in the open next to the Hive Guard and put templates on the disembarked Wolves. Between the runic weapon and cover saves I mnaged to kill 2.

The Wolves returned fire with 3 Long Fang units and 3 Las/Plas Razorbacks. The Hoppies were spread out and got cover from everything. He also split fire to the stealers on the flank in cover. Not much died, but the stealer rolled an 11 for morale and ran back.

Reserve rolls got me 1 Trygon and I plopped it down in the middle of his deployment zone. The stealers moved up again and a unit of Hoppies charged out to hit the disembarked space wolves. I put on 13 wounds, but only 2 space wolves died and the hoppies lost by 5. The Hive Guard popped another rhino and the troops were pinned.

The Space wolves killed more genestealers, but this time they held. The trygon was reduced to 1 wound and a few more hoppies died. On turn 3 I was able to hit his lines. The Ymgarls came out and assaulted a long fang squad. The Trygon prime deep struck and downed a speeder. The genestealers hit a troop squad. The Swarmlord scared another long fang squad off the table and the wounded trygon hit the pinned unit. Wolves started to die left and right now.

We ran out of time on turn 4. The wolves had 1 objective, I won KP's and we tied on victory points for a true draw.

Round 2 vs. Space Wolves

Victory conditions

1. Hold the objectives (only 2 of them)
2. Kill enemy HQ (Swarmlord and his Wolflord on T-Wolf)
3. Have the most models within 8" of a teleporting objective

The Space Wolves won 1st turn in this Dawn of War deployment. He had 2 Chooser of the Slains and kept my infiltrators out of a huge section of the board. I deployed my objective on the 24" line in front of his on the right flank and the Choosers were protecting that area so I deployed the 2 Hoppy units and the Swarmlord on the 24" line in front of those objectives. There were buildings all over the place and cover was easy to obtain.

The Wolves walked on keeping away from the board edges, but spread out. 3 Long Fang units, 1 big Grey Hunter squad, 2 Priests and Logan. Wolf Guard were scattered everywhere and 2 rhino's with small grey hunter squads were near the right flank. Logans Fangs opened up on the Hoppies, but few died due to cover.

On my turn the hoppies advance to about 13-14" from the Wolves. The Swarmlord moved up closer and into a building blocking los to most of the wolves shooting.

On turn 2 the wolves moved around to get better shots on the close hoppies and the Swarmlord. The Wolf Scouts stayed away, but the Wolflord on Thunderwolf showed up to hug the board edge. Shooting at the Swarmlord put 2 wounds on him and one on the Guard. The close Hoppies went to ground and saved a ton of wounds.

My turn 2 and everything shows up. 20 stealers shock and awe the 2 rhino's on the right flank. One rhino dies and the other escapes. The Ymgarls deploy out of the center terrain and move around to assault the long fang squad with the 2 Priests in it. One trygon drops in front of the Swarmlord and the other in front of the Wolflord. Zopes and Hive Guard begin their long walk across the board. The Swarmlord makes a mad dash and changes the 10-man Grey Hunter squad. Lots of marines die and the Guard dies to a thunderhammer wielding Wolf Guard.

Logan comes around to assault the Swarmlord. I swing first and put 4 wounds on the old fang. He makes 2 and loses 2 wounds. As per the Swarmlords rules Logan has to reroll those 2 saves he made and he makes them both again!! One wound away from dieing Logan cuts down the Swarmlord. The 2 Priests beat back the Ymgarls and the Wolf Lord charges his mount into a unit of Hoppies, but these are no ordinary Hormagant unit. They are poisoned and put 11 wounds on the Space Wolf HQ. He save 10 and takes 1 wound.

The Hive Guard pop the last rhino and the stealers move down the line to attack the 2 priests and what's left of their long fang squad. After the initiative 6 attacks, nobody is left to attack the stealers back. The Trygon Prime moves around and assault the mounted Wolf Lord. The Hoppies deal anoother wound through the 2+ armor save and the Prime finishes him off. The other Trygon hits Logan with his electrical attack and takes his last wound away. The game is called and I get 3 victory conditons to 1 for my opponent.

Game 3 vs. Imperial Guard

Victory conditions

1. Table Quarters
2. Have no models in your deployment zone
3. Kill more multi-wound units and/or armored units

I deployed first in this spearhead deployment. I put down 1 unit of Hoppies, the Swarmlord and the Hive Guard and went first. The Hoppies moved behind trees and buildings towards the enemy tanks while the hive guard moved up to hide behind a building wall and shoot at an autocannon heavy weapon team. The Swarmlord moved out in the open and dared people to shoot it.

He shot the swarmlord and I failed my first 4 saves to lots of autocannon fire. The Hoppies made lots of cover saves until the Manticore dropped 3 templates on their heads and several died.

On turn 2 the Ymgarls showed up in terrain and assaulted a Leman Russ Demolisher, blew it up and lost 2 models in the process. 20 Stealers walked on the far left board edge and removed the Manticore from the game. The Hoppies moved up to assault the squad that was left in the crater after the Hive Guard blew a chimera up. The Trygon dropped in the middle of several Chimeras and blew a heavy flamer off.

Bottom of 2 and 3 Vendettas showed up to kill the Swarmlord and put some wounds on the trygon. A special weapon team fried 9 stealers which left the remaining 9 very mad at them.

Top of 3 saw the rest of my reserves show up. The Trygon Prime dropped next to the far right chimera. 3 Zopes walked on from the long table edge and destroyed a vendetta. The stealers climed up a building and wiped out an autocannon heavy weapon team. The Ymgarls assault another heavy weapon team on the ground and killed them. Hoppies took out the flamer weapon team and the wounded trygon blew up a chimera.

Tanks were popping left and right after that. There was no where to drive where a trygon couldn't catch up to and I knew I had the modified KP VC under my belt. I also had nothing in my deployment zone and that would seal the victory for me.

In the end my painting scores allowed me to eclipse Tony's and John's 3-0 score gave me overall at 2-0-1/. Years ago I was always complaining that Jeff or Chris would win overall going 2-0-1 or 2-1 while I would finish 2nd at 3-0, but this time it reversed itself.

My overall feeling on the Bugs is joyous optimism. There was a time during game 2 that I wanted to ditch the Zopes for another unit of Ymgarls. Ymgarl stealers are simply Long Fang killers. The in game 3 the Zopes held the little bugs in place with synapse and managed to kill 2 tanks with warp blasts. Ok maybe they can stay.

I was really impressed with the damage the Hoppies put out, especially with the swarmlord giving them furious charge. Of course I could take the Swarmlord out and buy furious charge for the Hoppies and still save about 170pts.

Finally I liked the ability of this army to be in the enemy deployment zone so quickly. I think that bit of shock and awe really through a monkey wrench into my opponents plans. I'm sure with more experience they will learn to overcome it, but right now it works pretty nice.
Last edited by Generalissimo_Fred on Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby n00bzilla99 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:17 pm

Since it worked so well, bring it to GBU ;)
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby Depayen » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Good report Fred.
Death comes at high Speed!
Here cometh the orangemen!

O'where O'where will I pop in. Go first I will let you shoot at nothing.
Depayen

Re: 1850pt Tyranids at the Dec. AWC

Postby Zero_Cool » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:36 pm

Generalissimo_Fred wrote:In the end my painting scores allowed me to eclipse Tony's and John's 3-0 score gave me overall at 2-0-1/. Years ago I was always complaining that Jeff or Chris would win overall going 2-0-1 or 2-1 while I would finish 2nd at 3-0, but this time it reversed itself.

Soft scores FTW!!!

All kidding aside, congrats on the performance. What's next on the painting table?
Zero_Cool

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:26 pm

I think I'm just going to add some units to armies I have. I have some Flesh Tearer units I really want to pain up. 10 Assault Terminators, a Typhoon, Baal Predator, tactical squad with rhino and an assault squad.

For bugs I want to paint up 30 gargoyles, a parasite, 2 hive guard, mawloc, 5 warriors, another tyranid prime and 2 dakka carnifexes

For daemons I want to paint up 2 more bloodcrushers, 6 fiends and fateweaver. Yesterday there was one vanilla marine list so if everyone is going to take Space Wolves, then I think a Fatecrusher list would do pretty well in that environment.

I think I'm going to ditch my White Consuls vanilla marine list and just paint up more Flesh Tearers. Then if I want to play vanilla marines I'll play the Flesh Tearers as vanilla marnies. I can paint a flesh tearer thunderfire cannon. That would be awesome.

The only army I have left that is not painted is Imperial Guard. I've got a good paint scheme, but I can't figure on a list to save my life.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:21 pm

Interesting bug army. I like the mixture of large point big bugs, and the huge squads of smaller bugs. I see you managed to take down a guard army with the bugs as I have found that to be a very difficult chore.

I have heard bugs dont match up well with the wolves but I think it is a fair match up. Its a matter of having your "threats" put pressure at the same time on a wolf army and not getting taken apart piece by piece.

I dont know how my deamon army would have faired agianst your list this weekend. Swarmlord and stealers are real pains for the deamons.

As far as your thoughts on Fatecrusher builds, I think once the Psycannon is back in force with a new DH codex, Fateweaver may have to go back on the shelf until friendly games. That gives you three months to use him while wolves and vampires are the common army.

Oh yeah, congratz.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby seahawk » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:33 pm

17 players and 6 of them were Space Wolves
That's because they're the flavor of the weak! :wink: :P

3 Long Fang units and 3 Las/Plas Razorbacks
Imagine that :roll:

How do you feel about your Trygons deep striking? Few people advocate it, instead starting with them on the table seems to work better. Thoughts?
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:54 pm

Norbu the Destroyer wrote:Interesting bug army. I like the mixture of large point big bugs, and the huge squads of smaller bugs. I see you managed to take down a guard army with the bugs as I have found that to be a very difficult chore.

I have heard bugs dont match up well with the wolves but I think it is a fair match up. Its a matter of having your "threats" put pressure at the same time on a wolf army and not getting taken apart piece by piece.

I dont know how my deamon army would have faired agianst your list this weekend. Swarmlord and stealers are real pains for the deamons.

As far as your thoughts on Fatecrusher builds, I think once the Psycannon is back in force with a new DH codex, Fateweaver may have to go back on the shelf until friendly games. That gives you three months to use him while wolves and vampires are the common army.

Oh yeah, congratz.

The Guard army had a Manticore, Demolisher, 3 Vendettas and 4 Chimeras. This was a corner deployment so that makes it very hard for the IG tanks to hide from outflankers. The Swarmlord gives me +1 to reserve rolls and I can reroll my outflanking roll. Turn 2 the stealers showed up and destroyed the manticore. The Ymgarls showed up and destroyed the Demolisher. The Hoppies were in position to charge a chiimera with furious charge and 45+ attacks, but the Hive Guard blew it up. On the bottom of turn 2 the Guard had 27 Genestealers and a Trygon in among their tanks. That meant no where to hide. He could have moved at top speed away from all the threats, but that would mean his shooting would be severly reduced and some units would still be able to reach him to assault. I'll tell you what. The IG need Hellhound(s). If he had 1-2 of those things it might have made all the difference in the world.

Maybe T-Wolves vs. Bugs would change my mind, but right now the Bugs own long fang or Loganwing space wolves. There is almost no way the long fangs will avoid the Ymgarls. I can see a bug player taking 2 units of Ymgarls and just wrecking the Wolves firebase. The key to this is the Hive Commander allowing them to come in on turn 2 with a 3+. Throw in 2 Trygons hitting at the same time and you can saturate the Wolves backfield. Meanwhile while all this is being dealt with, the Swarmlord and 36 poisoned hoppies are barreling down the center of the board, 3 hive guard are popping a transport a turn and 20 genestealers just showed up on a flank on my choosing. It can be very rough for the Space Wolves if they have to many static units in place. The outflanking stealers made him deploy very centrally. All shooting elements were in one spot. This reduced his lanes of fire and put all his threats in one spot for me to converge on. Ideally against a bug list you want to spread out, maintain maximum lanes of fire and allow your superior range and firepower take out the bugs. This is made difficult with such a large outflanking squad that is a severe threat on turn 2 of arriving.

Maybe the Wolves can clear some space with a heavy dose of Thunderwolves though. The T-wolves are intiative 4 and the poisoned hoppies are striking at initiative 5. If T-wolves are clearing Hoppies that leaves the Stealers free to roam the backfield with Trygons. At best the Wolves might blow away both Trygons and leaves the Stealers untouched. BTW the Swarmlord has also been moving 6" and running every turn. He's about to hit your lines also.

I think I would have needed to get the poisoned Hoppies into the Crushers and hopefully get the Crushers down to WS 1 for that fight. I don't like my chances with the big bugs vs. crushers, but the hoppies might be able to reduce their numbers enough that the swarmlord could finish them off. IMO you would need something to tie up the hoppies and keep them off the Crushers. Daemonettes would work. Maybe a large unit of horrors could shoot them. The hoppies are real giant killers though and a serious threat to any MC.

I'm not saying this list is the be all end all. I still like my Fleash Tearers and vanilla marines better right now. I was just surprised by how well they did this weekend when I had thought I had no chance at all. I'm also proud that I don't have Tervigons in the list. That's all I see on the web, but they are an offensive liability and an anchor to those bug armies that rely on them.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:07 pm

seahawk wrote:
17 players and 6 of them were Space Wolves
That's because they're the flavor of the weak! :wink: :P

3 Long Fang units and 3 Las/Plas Razorbacks
Imagine that :roll:

How do you feel about your Trygons deep striking? Few people advocate it, instead starting with them on the table seems to work better. Thoughts?

I ended up deep striking them every game. On turn 1 of the first game I thought it was a mistake to not have at least one on the table. I thought he would shoot everything at the Swarmlord and kill it. He ended up splitting fire to stealers, swarmlord and hoppies. At the time I thought this was poor target priority on his part, but as it turned out the swarmlord didn't do anything that game for me so ignoring it was the right move.

As the tourney went on I learned that my best tactic was to saturate the enemy deployment zone on turn 2. Trygons, stealers and Ymgarls needed to show up in mass and they did. Call it hot reserve rolling. They show up on a 3+ on turn 2. Game 1 I got 1 trygon turn 2. Game 2 I got everything turn 2 and in game 3 I got the stealers, Ymgarls and 1 trygon on turn 2.

I'm not sure I would have been as effective starting a trygon or two on the board. My opponent could have seen it all coming from the get go and moved accordingly.
Generalissimo_Fred

Return to Battle Reports (40K)