Battle report

You just finished the best 40K game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

Battle report

Postby mdonaker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:38 pm

A good friend, Aaron was in town from Florida over the holidays and we were able to get a game in. I promised him a battle report, my first in over a year. I'll be updating as I get more turns finished. Here goes.

Aaron's list:

My list:

The mission we played was Sieze Ground, deployment was Dawn of War. There were three objectives, which are represented by the white numbers 1,2 and 3 on the gameboard. Aaron won the roll to go first and chose his deployment zone. As Aaron had no units that start on the board, I deployed my two arbites squads and my Inquisitor and henchmen, all in Chimera transports. Deployment looked like this:

I attemped to sieze the first turn from Aaron, but failed to roll a 6.
Aaron’s first turn saw him drop the first half of his force and run those unis that could forward. After Aaron’s half of turn one, the board looked like this:

On my half of turn one, I brought the Excorcists onto the board edge, but chose to keep my Calidus in reserves, as well as the Grey Knights. This was probably the biggest mistake I made, as I would have been better served to walk the Knights on and charge them into HTH with one of Aaron’s units. Forgetting that I also had bought two Death Cult assassins pretty much sealed my fate.
In the movement phase, I castled up my Chimeras.
My chimeras managed to kill four bloodletters, but could not wound the closest deamon prince. The three Excorcists however combined fire and saw the prince off.
Bottom of turn 1:

Stay tuned for more...
mdonaker

Postby mdonaker » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:03 pm

The top of turn two saw Aaron make reserves rolls on two units of bloodletters and his remaining daemon princes. In the movement phase Aaron moved all his eligible units toward me. In the shooting phase, Aaron ran all units allowed to do so.
In the assault phase, the remaining bloodletter knocked the heavy bolter off one Chimera while another squad of bloodletters attacked a second Chimera, but were unable to damage it. Top of turn two:

In the bottom of turn 2, my Calidus assassin dropped and I missed my reserves roll for my Grey Knights. In the movement phase, I moved my Chimeras and Excorcists away from the enemy. In the shooting phase I finished off the remaining bloodletter from the previously damaged squad as well as killing off the 5 bloodletters from another squad. The excorcists rolled very low and only managed 5 shots between them, failing to damage the nearby deamon prince. The callidus attempted to use her neural shredder on the bloodcrushers, but failed to wound also. The bottom of turn 2 looked like this:
Image[/img]

next time, turn 3...
mdonaker

Postby muwhe » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:28 am

Nice work .. Mike.
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Postby mdonaker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:19 pm

Thanks Henry.

In the top of turn three, Aaron made reserves rolls for his bloodthirster, flamers and seekers, all of which deep struck.
In the movement phase, all Daemons moved closer to my vehicles. The Skulltaker moved toward the Calidus Assasin.
In the Assault phase, Skulltaker charged the Calidus but failed to wound. Skulltaker took one wound from the Calidus. The two man unit of bloodcrushers assaulted the Inquisitor’s Chimera but only managed to stun it. The remaining winged Prince assaulted the Inquisitor’s Chimera and destroyed it in place and killing one warrior, the penitent and the familiar. The Inquisitor cannot be pinned, so the unit was free to act next phase.
Three units of bloodletters eached assaulted and shook an Excorcist, while the walking Prince managed to tear the Excorcist launcher off one of the vehicles in the melee.

In the bottom of turn three, I got my Grey Knights in, and they deepstruck on the left side of my board.
The two remaining Chimeras backed away from the Bloodthirster, combining their fire to put two wounds on him in the shooting phase. The grey knights fired at the seekers, killing all 5. The two Excorcists that were able to move did so, away from the Prince and nearby bloodletters.
In the assault phase Skulltaker killed the Calidus and consolidated toward the remaining chimeras. The Inquisitor and retinue assaulted the winged prince, wounding him twice. The Prince swung back and killed both Chiurgeons, and acolyte and a warrior.

next, turn 4...
mdonaker

Postby mdonaker » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:54 pm

In the top of turn four, Aaron made his reserves roll for the remaining bloodcrusher, however it scattered off the board and he rolled up the result that the unit was lost.
The flamers moved toward the Grey Knights and managed to kill four of them with wind of chaos (which, oddly enough, is NOT a psychic attack and the knights therefore gain no Aegis save…) The bloodthirster moved toward and then charged a Chimera, destroying it and pinning the arbites contained inside, after three of them had been killed in the disembarking. The unit of bloodrushers assaulted the inquisitor and remaining henchman, killing the henchman and wounding the Inquisitor. The winged prince finished the inquisitor off. On the left hand side of the board, the bloodletters each managed to assault and immobilize an excorcist. The walking prince and seekers assaulted an excorcist but did not damage. Skulltaker assaulted and immobilized the remaining chimera.

My options by this point were becoming increasingly limited. The remaining grey knight fired at the flamers but did no wounds, instead being content to kill all three in the assault phase. The immobile Chimera fired all weapons at Skulltaker and killed him off. The mobile excorcists moved to create a little distance between them and the walking prince. The remaining excorcist on the left flank that could still fire managed to put a wound on the walking prince.

mdonaker

Postby mdonaker » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:20 pm

In the top of turn 5, the winged prince assaulted the last Grey Knight and killed him off while the bloodthirster assaulted the last Chimera, causing it to explode and pinning the 6 remaining arbites. The bloodcrushers assaulted the 5 arbites from squad one and finshed them off. Two units of bloodletters double teamed the center excorsist and destroyed it in place while the walking prince assaulted an excorcist and immobilized it. One unit of bloodletters moved toward the center objective.

In the bottom of turn 5, the remaining excorcist shot and killed 2 bloodletters near the center objective. Arbite squad two was pinned and could do nothing except watch as the bloodthirster and bloodcrushers waited to finish them off.

Next time, last turn and final thoughts...
mdonaker

Postby mdonaker » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:39 pm

We rolled a 4 to continue playing after turn five.

Aaron’s half of turn 6 saw a unit of bloodletters move and then run to the center objective while the bloodcrushers and bloodthirster both charged the remaining arbites, killing them off. The walking prince destroyed the remaining armed excorcist.

As I had no units to move, the game was over.

A very fun game, despite my poor showing. Aaron’s list is pretty decent, but by no means unbeatable or what I would call a “power” list. I started behind the 8 ball with this mission due to my lack of scoring units. I think that had I not forgotten to use the death cultists, and walked the Grey Knights on from my edge, I could have made a game of it. Two dedicated assault units like that would have been very useful considering how quickly the Deamons get stuck in. Had I done that and put the Calidus in the same combats, I don’t think any unit would have been safe. As it was, the deamons were able to roam in my lines without fear of retribution. Failing the pin checks on both arbites squads really hurt as well. If just one of them passed, I would have been able to use their fire (2 melta guns, shotguns) to thin out one of the already wounded units or MC’s. I could also have followed up with and assault, as the squad leaders had eviscorators.

Anyway, that’s the report. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Cheers. Mike.
mdonaker

Postby tulkasulmar » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:13 am

Very Kool Battle Report. :D
tulkasulmar

Postby Shotgun » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm

Holy hell, what are the stats on that Coke can!

I've got to get me one of those!

Interested why you went with Arbites rather than Sisters. Pure models available or some other reason. I've found an amazing love for flamer/heavy flamer sisters with the VSS/Book of St. Lucius.
Shotgun

Postby mdonaker » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:04 pm

Ahh, the Coke can was strategically placed in the shot in hopes that an executive from the Coca-Cola company would see it and offer a lucrative sponsorship deal, allowing me to quit my day job and play more often. Still waiting on the call.

I used the arbites because that's what I've got. I built the army for fun, and it is fun. It is not competitive at all. When we scheduled the game, I let my opponent pick his enemy, and he wanted to see the WH stuff...

Cheers. Mike.
mdonaker

Postby Lord Krungharr » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:37 pm

Hi, what's the armor on a Chimera and Exorcist? I'm playing Daemons in an upcoming AWC tournament and the Gladiator at Adepticon....I've never played an Inquisitorial army.

Thank you for such an excellent and well-diagrammed battle report!
Lord Krungharr

Return to Battle Reports (40K)