First Tournament list - suggestions?

Post and review Warhammer 40K army lists.

First Tournament list - suggestions?

Postby cjputrich » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:26 am

Hey all, finally taking part in my first 40k tournament this Saturday over at Draxtar (1500pts). I've put together a couple lists and I'm looking for feedback from any regular tournament goers to see which likely stands better odds of doing ok.

List 1

HQ - Abbadon
Troops - 8 Chosen w/2x flamer, power fist, power axe, pair of claws, and champ with power maul
Troops - 10 CSM w/plasma gun and heavy bolter
Elite - Hellbrute
Elite - 5 Terminators w/heavy flamer, chain fist, and champ with power fist
FA - Heldrake
Heavy - Vindicator
Heavy - Land Raider

List 2

HQ - Chaos Lord with Sigil of corruption and power sword
Troops - 9 CSM w/flamer and champ with power sword
Troops (transport) - Rhino
Troops - 10 CSM w/plasma gun and heavy bolter
Elite - Hellbrute
Elite - Hellbrute
Elite - 5 Terminators w/heavy flamer, chain fist, and champ with power fist
FA - Heldrake
FA - 5 Raptors w/2 meltas and power sword
Heavy - Vindicator
Heavy - Land Raider
40k Armies
Chaos Space Marines
Dark Angels

Other Games
Fantasy - Skaven
Warmachine - Khador
X-Wing
Infinity - Ariadna
cjputrich

Re: First Tournament list - suggestions?

Postby Lord Krungharr » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:02 pm

The most important thing I can recommend is you will need to drop a Terminator and put Abaddon in that Land Raider. Also you may want to consider Khorne Terminators with Icon of Wrath. I know they get a bit pricy but you don't want to fail a charge with those guys! Plus they get Rage and Counter Attack from Khorne, plus Furious Charge with the Icon, for S9 Fists. Oh and make sure you have a Dirge and Dozer on your Land Raider too (not Possession though, you don't Abaddon getting devoured :) )

Then with the Warmaster you should take 2 small Chosen squads in Rhinos loaded with plasma guns.

The Helbrute might be good, but I like those with a plasma cannon/lascannon and missile launcher.

The Vindicator is certainly devastating but very situational. AV13 is fairly easy to glance to death these days, though I imagine most people will want to nail that Land Raider early on. I guess it's cheap, but take a Siege Shield. You can also keep it in Reserves for some games if the enemy is a fast and assaulty one coming towards you. Then bring it in from the board edge blasting. Or you could almost take 2 Obliterators instead.

Heldrake is always a good idea though.

That second list could work too, but Rhinos are unfortunately not assault vehicles. So anyone inside won't be charging at least until Turn 3. And the Lord probably won't do much for you in that case besides make the Troops Fearless, which I guess is something. But I'd rather see a Sorcerer at Mastery 3 in there. Then you'd have some more interesting options.

Unless you have a big squad of Raptors with buffs from psykers and Marks/Gear, I would drop the sword. I don't think anyone will assault them, as they don't need tarpitting and are easily shot to death. Just make them a cheap drop and melta gun and die squad. Then if they get ignored, continue melta gunning.

With 2 Brutes you could have 1 long range fire support, and the other with no extras just moving up the center, and Running/Flat Outing, until in Multi-melta or Charge range. That would be some nice backup for the Land Raider.

Overall I favor the 1st list.
Lord Krungharr

Postby cjputrich » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

In the first list I was actually planning on putting the 8 chosen and Abs in the land raider and deep striking the terminators. Probably the deathwing influence my Dark Angels have on me, but I figured that way both units get in fast (relying on reserve rolls of course).

I really like the KHorne/wrath idea but couldn't find the points. Likewise with the plasma loaded chosen - they were the same points as the 10 CSM and I was just going to have them sit on an objective so I figured the 10 csm were more durable.

I could probably drop the Helbrute and use it's points for the other stuff you suggested - mark, dirge, etc. although the Helbrute has proven to be more impactful than e vindicator lately so I'll have to try and get in a practice game or two beforehand to see which is better to drop.
40k Armies
Chaos Space Marines
Dark Angels

Other Games
Fantasy - Skaven
Warmachine - Khador
X-Wing
Infinity - Ariadna
cjputrich

Postby Lord Krungharr » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:36 pm

Ah yes, I do like the Chosen with Abaddon in the LR. I have done that a couple times but with shooty Chosen. I guess with a Land Raider it does kinda make sense to have choppy Chosen though :)

Maybe put some more combi-weapons on the Terminators? Since they can't do much on the drop besides shoot, might as well have them shoot more (just not a reaper AC, not worth it).

The Vindicator works about half the time for me, the other times it either blows up or loses the cannon and becomes a lump of who cares.

I haven't used a Dread...brute in a long time. But once I get my Skyshield all done, I might just try all 3 up on that and see how they do. Better LOS and a 4++ has got to help them out to some extent. If only GW would've read my mind and made a plastic Dreadclaw for the Black Legion supplement; they never ever read my mind.
Lord Krungharr

Postby tmalave » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:04 am

I would drop the helbrutes, they are not worth their points. Not a good unit at all. take cultist for your troops. A great delivery system for Abby are the Oblits. LR is a huge point sink. Take a 3 heldrakes and think about taking Typhus. Cultist make great objective holders when they become zombies. CSM marines are not very good. If you want to take them spend the points on 5-7 plague marines with 2 plasmaguns, well worth it. Good luck.
tmalave

Return to Army Lists (40K)