2k Dark Eldar List

Post and review Warhammer 40K army lists.

2k Dark Eldar List

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:41 pm

I'm debating about going to the Nova Open out in DC. This means getting an army ready in 2 months. Crazy? Yes! But I think I could make it happen.

Here's my first stab at the 2k list I'm going to bring. Yeah, it's spamtastic, but it brings a ton of firepower.

HQ: Haemonculus with hexrifle (he gives a pain token to the bike squad then sits back in an empty venom)

Elite: 3 Trueborn with 2 Dark Lances in a Venom with 2 Splinter Cannons (trueborn deploy out of the vehicle)
Elite: 3 Trueborn with 2 Dark Lances in a Venom with 2 Splinter Cannons
Elite: 3 Trueborn with 2 Dark Lances in a Venom with 2 Splinter Cannons

Troop: 8 Wyches with shardnet and Hektrix with agonizer. All with haywire grenades. In a Raider with Aethersails
Troop: 8 Wyches with shardnet and Hektrix with agonizer. All with haywire grenades. In a Raider.
Troop: 5 Kabalite warriors with blaster in Venom with 2 Splinter Cannons
Troop: 5 Kabalite warriors with blaster in Raider with flickerfield (used as a screen)

Fast: 9 Reaver Jetbikes with arena champion with agoniser. 3 Heat lances.

Heavy: Ravager with three dark lances

That's 12 Splinter Cannons, 18 dark lances, 4 Blasters, 3 Heat lances.

My Wyches are more of a clean up crew then anything. They should help finish off stragglers and do a little tie up of a unit.

Here are my big questions on the list:

- Will the jebikes in a big blob be worth it? With feel no pain they should have some more survivability
- What does the Haemonculus do after handing off the pain token to the bikes?
- Do I need more of a close combat punch, or get rid of the wyches altogether and go strictly firepower
- What do I do if I go second?
- Kill points... just laugh and say I'm going to lose that mission?
- I basically haven't upgraded my vehicles, does it merit dropping something to get some additional protection?
- How do the minimum trueborn squads work, is the 3 man squad silly? I have a feeling I'm just going with target saturation here. I figure if they're in cover they have about as good of a shot surviving as a direct hit to a vehicle.

Things to think about! Now the big question is if I can get all this assembled and painted in 2 months :)
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:16 pm

Here are the answers to some of your questions......in no particular order.

The large blob of bikes should work fine. My only suggestion is take 6 with the 2 heat lances, and user the extra points to either flicker/or night sheid your ravangers/raiders. Also, I would add the caltrups?? (sp.) whatever gives you D6 S6 hits on a unit you turboboost over. 6 bikes against a xenos army dont have a lot to lance, so being able to zip 36" over a loota or hive guard unit can do a lot of damage.

Hemoculi could give a pain token to them, but not always required.

I think the wyches are a bit of a necesity not to be a major threat, but at least they can tie up units (th/ss termies for example) for very ferw points.

A couple guys here are running the 3 trueborn in a venom with splinter cannons and they work just fine.

I think the list will do fine. I have seen the larger (more than 3) bike units and they are a pain in the a$$ to deal with. 3+ turboboost cover really discourages shots at them, and 36" movement means you can usually place them in a position not to be assaulted.

As far as what happens if you go 2nd...hmmmm depends on the opponent.
You could always deploy 2 empty raiders, placed sideways to give the other boats cover in a corner, to mitigate some shooting. And if those raiders have nightsheilds...all the better. Flickerfields could also keep them around. For mech guard I would reserve everything, and pray. The squads from the raiders could hop in on the first turn, or be deployed as objective guards, or go reserve (like a unit of gretchin).

Nightfight, you will want to go 2nd, and use the re-roll night fight, and if they force you to go first, flat out the whole army.

Just my thoughts, but Im no Dark Eldar expert, I just face them ALL THE TIME.....Jeesh.

As far as KP I wouldnt sweat it, what army at 2000 besides orks, isnt running 20+ KP these days, and the fact you can fire at about 20+ differant targets a turn if you wanted can put you in the advantage of KP.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:24 pm

Every vehicle needs a Flickerfield. Saving 1/3rd of your vehicles is huge when you take 12. Trueborn needs Blasters, not Darklances. Blasters in a venom have a 30" range (12 move and 18 shoot). Darklances can only shoot down one line. When that lines LOS is blocked, they have to move. Blasters in the Venom's have more manueverability to get side shots on vehicles.

Best case would you want to fire 2 str 8 darklances at the front of an armor 13 predator or str 8 blasters into the side of an armor 11 predator?

I would think you need at least one unit of Wyches both for assault and to use the Haywire grenades against anybody who takes a Black Templar LR with Bessed Hull.

I would maximize the number of venoms you get. No Raiders unless you have no choice. Venoms are so superior to Raiders. Your balsters and Ravagers will take care of enemy armor. Blaster toting units inside 2x splinter cannon venoms rinse/repeat for the win.

I don't know about the Reaver Jetbikes.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby 00Enron » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:54 pm

@Fred

I dont think that models can shoot out of vehicles that have moved over 6"
Adepticon 2008-Best Appearance
G.R.A.M.P.A member
00Enron

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:03 am

Is there a special rule for the DE skimmers? If not, then move 12", disembark 2" and fire 3-4 trueborn with blasters into the vehicle you want to kill. 32" threat range on a non-scoring unit.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby seahawk » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:56 pm

DE vehicles don't get anything special, so they can only move 6" and have passengers fire.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby shadedragon » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:31 pm

I agree with Fred. Venoms are better in the new DE lists. I would not use Lances unless you want to work in the fluff... Move 6 and shoot 18 still gives you a 24in Lance for less points. For the points, put Blasters on the Reavers, not Heat Lances Str 8 lance with longer range and you can jump back after shooting (remember they are still Jetbikes) means you won't get tangled in CC. With the heat lances you have to be so close to get the full benefits, you almost have to build a unit as a fire-and-forget type weapons. I use Reavers every now and again, and for 101 points you get a Blaster and Caltrops which makes them extremely useful! Also, look at Beasts... They are a cheap way to get a character into combat :) (The Baron comes to mind here)

Like you said, KPs, no worries, just go with my mentality, kill everything and KPs won't matter :)

Also, I had heard people swear by the Sails on Raiders... I'm not sure, I haven't used them, but it does make sense.

Also look at some of the special gear for the Haemonculi. Thye get stuff cheap and there are some nice synergies you can work with.

Cal
There can be only one!
shadedragon

Postby Skrivus » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:02 pm

Pretty much copying what others have already said, but venoms with squads are nasty. If you're going the shooty DE route, you want to run venoms every time.

The only problem I have is facing against mech BA or mech wolves with lots of razorbacks. Until you can pop some transports, you got alot of firepower that's useless. You have to rush forward to get in range for blasters, either disembarking or just not having enough range yourself, pretty much give your opponent easy kill points.

If you're bringing units for close combat, use raiders for them with aethersails, being able to get that extra distance going flat out can make a massive difference in so many ways.

Main change I would make is give the trueborn squads all blasters instead of dark lances. Also change the reaver jetbikes for blasters. Also don't even bother with the raider for the warrior squad.
Skrivus

Postby preusser07 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:19 am

so i have been using 2 darklance trueborn squads for awhile now because i didnt have the blasters... they suck. 2 shots that have to stand still. i just made a bunch of blaster trueborns and will use 3 x 3 blaster trueborn from now on. why? because DE have a hard time with mech spam lists. we lose the endurance race. open topped armor 10 and marines have alot of ap1, we lose alot of venoms/raider/ ravagers in first 2 turns. DE dont have twinlinked lances or much ap1, so anything armor 12+, only 1/3 of lances have affect.
I used bikes at adepticon, i think 9 with 3 lances. not sure tho. and had baron with them. i didnt care for them. armor 5+ means thats bolter fire just annihlated me. had to keep them in cover and str6 melta at 9". i rolled 2 dice on armor pen but always came up short.
not a fan of bikes.
Fast attack I play tested with scourges a few times using haywire launchers, they work good, but usaully only get a can't move/shoot result. Beastmasters is where its at. 3 BM, 4 khymera, 4 razorwings for 144 pts, running 2 squads. 24 rending attacks on rear armor of vehicles has been my best anti tank. Cheap and affective, i think its a must to run 2 squads, 1 squad just becomes a magnet to shooting and failing a ld 8 really sucks.
(sorry if my reply is full of rambling, but i just got off my shift and its 8 am, good night.)
see everyone on sat at awc, we can talk DE there
preusser07

Return to Army Lists (40K)