A new kind of GK list

Post and review Warhammer 40K army lists.

A new kind of GK list

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Mon May 23, 2011 7:45 am

Yesterday I spent some time putting Paladins together and I thought up a different version of my Paladin list. It takes some imagination so look at it twice. I haven't played it yet, but it looks good in my initial mental playtests.

HQ - Kaldor
HQ - Libby, 3 powers, (might, shrouding, quicksilver (maybe)) 3 skulls

EL - 10 Purifiers, 4 psycannons, 6 halberds, rhino, HK missile
EL - Vindicare assassin

TR - 3 Paladins, 2 halberds, 1 hammer
TR - Paladin, psycannon
TR - Paladin, psycannon
TR - Paladin, psycannon
TR - Paladin, psycannon
TR - Paladin, psycannon

HV - Land Raider
HV - Dread, 2x autocannon, psybolt ammo

What the heck is this? One of the biggest problem for the GK's is their lack of cheap anti-tank units (ie no speeders). So I got an idea to throw in 1-2 lone paladin units with a psycannon for 75pts. That one model is my land speeder tornado. The LS has armor 10, I have T4 and 2 wounds, the LS has a long range to stay away from most enemy weapons and I have a 2+5++ (or most often a 4+ cover) to ignore shots.

Once I thought the 75pt lone Paladin was good enough to take I decided to fill up my TR slots with them. Kaldor can always make 1-3 other units scoring if I need them so objective games shouldn't be a problem. I also need to take Kaldor to make this happen. That's 275pts right there and I better get the most out of him so I plop him in a LR with a LIbby and 3 more paladins. It's a regular LR to give me 2 twin-linked lascannons that can fire at 2 targets. Kaldor also makes the LR a serious threat to assault and could take some of the heat off off my other units. Kaldor's unit can also take on the biggest HtH units in the game who might come to get me.

I think this list could do well against enemy MSU, especially mech spam lists. I could potentially target 11 different units (12 with the hk missile) with anti-tank weapons. Many of my units have a 2+ save to ward off long fang missiles. The LR, Dread and Vindicare give me the ability to target up to 4 different enemy vehicles at long range before my psycannon units get into range. The Vindicares ap 1 rifle averages a 14 on armor penetration rolls and would be the best bet to take out enemy dreads.

I do not think I would be at to big a disadvantage in a KP mission because of the survivability of my units. I have 13 units, but Kaldor and the Libby will be very hard to kill. Lone Paladins could easily find LOS blocking terrain to hide behind.

Against Hordes I still have the purifiers who can flame them in assault (2x flame if I combat squad them) and I can put out 36 psycannon shots at 24" while they come to charge me. Kaldor comes with a str 5 template.

Once again there is nothing in the army list that I could not afford to lose early in the game. That is a hallmark of a good list.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby seahawk » Mon May 23, 2011 10:20 am

With an Infantry count of 21, AP2 will make you very sad.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Mon May 23, 2011 2:40 pm

You could very well be right. I wonder where those ap2 shots will comes from. I don't see to many plasmaguns anymore. Most everything that could take a plasmagun is toting a meltagun instead. Those meltaguns would need to get close to target a lone Paladin. I guess the best way to deliver them is by transport and hopefully my shooting can stop those tramsports.

At range the best ap 2 weapon is the Lascannon. I imagine seeing tose on 1-2 vanilla marine squads, definitely on the side sponsoons of a predator and on the Vendetta. Most marine heavy weapons are missile launchers for their cost/benefit advantages against enemy armor. The Demolisher cannon is AP 2, but it should only ever be able to get 1 paladin in it's blast radius, then the return fire from other paladins should be able to stop the tank.

Dark Eldar will have a bunch of ap 2 shots and superior range. I'll just have to get lucky with my cover saves and hopefully take out enough tanks to severely cripple his shooting ability. The venoms could also deal enough wounds that I might just fail a bunch of saves.

I wonder if I should double my paladins and their psycannons into six 2-man squads. This would give me 6 units with 8 str 7 psycannon shots on the walk. That's enough to engage any vehicle (except a monolith) in a firefight and win. They could also give squads of marines a scare with all those saves.

HQ - Kaldor

EL - 10 Purifiers, 4 psycannons, rhino, hk missile

TR - 2 Paladins, 2 psycannons

FA - Stormraven, mm, assault cannon

HV - Dread, 2x autocannons, psybolt ammo

This gives me 64 psycannon shots (56 on the move). I can target 6 different vehicles with eight str 7 rending shots each, then another 1-2 with the purifier psycannon shots, another one with the four str 8 dread shots and 1-2 others with the multimelta/assault cannon of the stormraven. The Stormraven would be a transport for Kaldor or I could chuck that and get a pimped out Dreadknight to deep strike into the enemy lines.

The 2-man units (with 4 wounds each) would be harder to kill. I sacrifice my mobile assault capabilities to gain a bunch of more shots in the shooting phase. Enough to cripple most enemy armies from shooting alone. I might like my first list better, but I really think this approach to Paladins could be effective.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby GregSwanson » Mon May 23, 2011 3:42 pm

I am not a big fan Fred I think you would get killed just by torrent of fire. How many saves can you make? I dont know would have to play it a time or two to see how it goes. I guess this week end I made a bunch of terminator saves. Against the one guard player I played I out ranged him with the cyclones but your effective range would be 24". Well really 30". Also space wolf player and a good dark eldar player will force you to make a lot of saves. Against the DE player the apothecary in Belial's squad was worth his wait in gold. The problem I see is if you have a bad round of rolling. It could get ugly in a hurry. I know the one game I lost with the Deathwing I rolled abysmally. I had already crushed his Twolves and lord, and then his rune priest dropped 9 terminators in 2 turns with jaws. He ended up killing 14 with jaws over the course of the game. I also failed about 6 2+ saves in the round where I lost 5.
That crazy fireman!
I am not smart but I can lift heavy things!
In the grim darkness of the future, there is only war. There are not massive army costume parties and campy parade floats. - xNickBaranx
GregSwanson

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Mon May 23, 2011 8:00 pm

I thought of min squads with psycannons as well only there is a problem.....you need 5 man squads to be able to take ANY of the psycannons. At least thats how I read it. Possible to get just 1 but I dont really read it that way. Check again and see what you think.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Tue May 24, 2011 5:36 am

"For every 5 models in the squad you get 2 psycannons...."

Norbu you may be right and I could not take 1-2 guys with psycannons. I'm glad I didn't order a bunch of psycannon bits.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby n00bzilla99 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:47 pm

So why not switch to 2 Five man squads? Although, either way, I'm with Greg, torrent of fire will simply wreck house here.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby Lord Krungharr » Tue May 24, 2011 11:10 pm

Yeah, make them bigger squads so my Plasma Cannon Dreadnoughts can take them out:) That's assuming they don't go crazy and blast each other again like 2 out of my last 4 games!
Lord Krungharr

Return to Army Lists (40K)