Gladiator Daemons List

Post and review Warhammer 40K army lists.

Best Daemon Troops

Poll ended at Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:40 pm

Bloodletters
50%
Daemonettes
10%
Plaguebearers
10%
Horrors
30%

Total votes : 10

Gladiator Daemons List

Postby Lord Krungharr » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:40 pm

Hey all, I've been honing my Gladiator Daemons list, what do you other tournie hounds think? I will be using Aetaosraukeres, the Tzeentch Daemon Lord. He really limits what else I can take, especially in terms of scoring units, but thus far in practice things look pretty decent considering he's almost a freakin' 1000 pts!
Here's my core:

HQ: Big Birdo

EL: 5x Bloodcrushers/Icon/Fury/Instr

T1,2: 7x Plaguebearers/Instr

T3: 7x Plaguebearers/Icon

HS: Soul Grinder/Phlegm

So then for my 500 pt. sidebars I can't deicide if I should avoid Greater Daemons/Daemon Princes because of the Birdo's Dark Jealousy, although the Bloodthirster can fly away usually far enough and tear it up on his own.
I think I'd have Skulltaker on one sidebar though for multiwound creature/character armies; he can ride with the BCs for protection.
Also, my Soul Grinder(s) always seem to get popped real quick, hardly ever doing anything. Are they worth it with Long Fangs, Hive Guard, and deepstriking melta guns all over the place?

Any thoughts?
Lord Krungharr

Postby Redbeard » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:06 am

I'd avoid princes/greaters with big bird. Skulltaker is a good choice. I'm not sure I'd run a grinder with the other stuff you've got. What about Fiends?

What about some chariots?

Also, I'm not sure your list is legal....

I thought all the big daemon lords required that you take at least one troop choice from the same god.

I think you're spending too many points on plaguebearers. One of Big Bird's main benefits is the ability to spawn units of horrors. I'd take two min units of horrors as troops, each with a bolt, one with changeling.

If they die, they die - you can replace them with big bird horrors. That gives you two extra anti-tank shots, and frees up points for more interesting things. Need objectives late in the game - just use big bird, he isn't going anywhere.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby YeezyMozart » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:11 am

I would drop the grinder don't see it's purpose in the list at all. He is unnecessary. I like fiends in the list much better!

I think Alex is right you do need one unit of Tzennech daemons since you are taking big bird.

I love the crushers in the list and plague bearers are great for scoring so I like that too..

I would defiantly avoid taking any greater daemons because you figure birdo wants to make use of his 20" movement so he can get close to another daemon quick.

Skulltaker would be nice addition....

In each 500 pts selection you should have one more troop the gladiator missions are heavy on scoring units and and you should go with three in the list and birdo can just sit on one with a scoring unit and you will accumulate points every turn. NICE!

I personally think the big bird is broken as hell he is awesome but I do like the new missions this year they balance things out more and give veteran players a advantage.
I knew a man who once said, ”Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.”

Chicago Kamikazes: http://chicagokamikazes.blogspot.com/
YeezyMozart

Postby Turtle » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:39 pm

as per the inat the horrors summoned by him are NOT troops
"Here have a beer, Marines play better with beer: Rhysk
Turtle

Postby Lord Krungharr » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:22 pm

I do love running my Fiends, although they never seem to decimate enemy units as much as I'd like, but they intercept like no other Daemons unit.
And I will get rid of the Soul Grinder too. Then I can try other things.

I guess with Birdo's Horror factory I should be able to contest plenty of objectives, although scoring them would be nice too for more battle points (I'd like to finish even better than I did last year). But Plaguebearers do squat except for squatting, and even then they can die easy enough! So I'll mix up my Troops a bit.

Good point about the Greaters and DPs; I love just being able to charge ahead full speed and not zigzagging around my own guys to avoid shooting them. But couldn't a Bloodthirster be worthwhile for extra tank crushing?

I checked both my IAApoc2 book and the INITApocFAQ and Birdo doesn't require the Horrors unit to be fielded, so Hooray for that!
Lord Krungharr

Postby Redbeard » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:10 pm

Turtle wrote:as per the inat the horrors summoned by him are NOT troops

Oh joy, I hate the arbitrary crap in that document.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:47 am

Take min the horrors you need to field the bird and then go with Bloodletters. They are more of a threat to your enemy and if they are ingnored (so the enemy can shoot at the big bird or elites) then they can do something useful like killing the enemy.
Generalissimo_Fred

Return to Army Lists (40K)