Magic Number 8

Post and review Warhammer 40K army lists.

Magic Number 8

Postby Crumpsky » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:25 pm

After seeing the new dreadnought models coming out for the BA I threw together a quick list full of dreads. It's 2000k points of pure win :D (or so I hope)

Captain-115
power sword
melta bombs

2x Furioso Dreadnought-160
Drop Pod

1x Furioso Librarian-210
Drop Pod
(havnt chosen powers yet, probably blood lance and something else)

10 Death Company-200

2x Death Company Dreadnoughts-125

3x5 Assault Marines-160
Flamer
Razorback TLLC (could change to LC TLPG)

3x Heavy Support Dreadnought-140
Drop Pod

Could it be fun? Yes. Will it win alot? Probably not. Will your opponent crap his pants upon seeing all your dreads? Lets hope not...

So what do you guys think?
Crumpsky

Postby DragonBait » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:45 pm

I forget because I don't have the codex on hand, but do you have to have full ten-man squads to take the death company dreads? If not, i'd ditch some to give some of the other dreads more upgrades. Looks like a pretty fun list though otherwise!
"What's you're job?"
"Oh, I'm retired now. I invented dice when I was a kid."
DragonBait

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:55 pm

How about this?

HQ - Astrorath - 220

EL - Furioso, talons - 125
EL - Furioso - 125
EL - Furioso, Librarian, wings, shield - 175

TR - 10 Death Company - 200
TR - 10 Death Company - 200
TR - Death Company Dread - 125
TR - Death Company Dread, talons - 125
TR - 10 assault marines, 2 meltaguns, sarge w/ powerfist - 235

HV - Stormraven - 200
HV - Dreadnought, twin-lascannon - 135
HV - Dreadnought, twin-lascannon - 135

This is 2000pts on the head. I got more excited about it as I wrote it. You have 7 dreads to charge at the enemy. One of them will ride in the Stormraven. If it is a DC dread in the stormraven then you have a 12" + 5" + d6" + 6" charge range. 24"-29" charge with a DC Taloned Dread will be deadly. You have 2 dreads to walk up and pop transports with thier twin-lascannons. You have 2 Furioso dread you can control and run every turn. The Librarian dread can keep up with the assault marines or it can hang with the other dreads and cast shield.

Speaking of the assault marines, they don't have Feel no Pain, but they can do some serious damage with Astrorath and a power fist sarge. Astrorath will give your other dreads furious charge on a 1-3 die roll. That will be huge to have as many dreads as possible charging at initiative 5. The DC dreads already have it.

With 7 dreads, a stormraven, Astrorath and the assault marines your opponent won't have anything to deal with 20 Death Company running down his throat. These guys live to deal with hordes. They will wash against the enemy and fight through those large units of Gants and Ork Boyz who might tie up the Dreads. The Talons also will carve through Hordes quickly.

Now you might say this list is lacking in scoring units, but with the new Adepticon Missions, scoring units are not required to win games. If you do play an old fashion objective game you do have the ability to combat squad the assault marines for 2 scoring units. They can deep strike in later and the 7 dreads and 20 death company can go contest a bunch of objectives.

I'm so excited about this list I want to make it.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby rosco » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:26 pm

looks pretty mean, but you may want to recheck your points(for example the captain should be 120). how are the dreads armed or they just base/no upgrades at all?

and yes he'll need the 10 death comp. models to get the 2 death co. dreads.
good bad i'm the guy with the gun
rosco

Postby Crumpsky » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:46 am

Rosco- The dreads have no upgrades, unless stated. And I forgot to add the meltabombs in so the captain is 120, my bad.

Fred- I didnt think you could have 2 squads of Death company. I thought they were a 0-1 choice. And I dont like astroth, for some reason paying over 200 pts for a HQ doesnt sit well with me. I would much prefer to put the points elsewhere. I do like the furious charge buff he can potentially give the dreads, so I will have to look into Astroth further.

but with the new Adepticon Missions, scoring units are not required to win games

This is not an attack against you but this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Why change the rules where you need to have scoring units? Sometimes I why adepticon makes these decisions.

Hopefully a revised list soon.
Crumpsky

Postby fyrblckdragon » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:46 am

Astorath removes the 0-1 restriction.
fyrblckdragon

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:00 am

Crumpsky wrote:Fred- I didnt think you could have 2 squads of Death company. I thought they were a 0-1 choice. And I dont like astroth, for some reason paying over 200 pts for a HQ doesnt sit well with me. I would much prefer to put the points elsewhere. I do like the furious charge buff he can potentially give the dreads, so I will have to look into Astroth further.

I agree. Astrorath is a bit pricey. Maybe ~50pts more than a normal HQ Chaplain with jump pack. He does remove the 0-1 restriction on Death Company so you could field 2 squads of 10. That would be 20 guys who move 6" and fire their bolters 24". They have FnP and FC standard. They can't hold objectives, but they can contest them and in that list they would be about the last thing your opponent would think of to target with shots.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:03 am

Crumpsky wrote:
but with the new Adepticon Missions, scoring units are not required to win games

This is not an attack against you but this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Why change the rules where you need to have scoring units? Sometimes I why adepticon makes these decisions.

Hopefully a revised list soon.

They make it possible to win without scoring units. If you want to field an army of all Death Company, then you can and you still have a shot at winning. You have an easier shot of winning if you use the scoring units in your codex, but you can make a list without them if you want.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby tear of the angel » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:38 am

My Dread list goes more like this.

HQ-

Librarian w/ hand flamer, 110 pts
shield and fear of darkness powers.

Elts-

Furioso w/ bloodtalons, extra armor and drop pod 175 pts
Furioso Librarian w/ droppod, 210 pts
shield and either lance or fear of darkness powers
Furioso Librarian w/ droppod, 210 pts
shield and either lance or fear of darkness powers

Trps-

10 Death company w/ 3 power weapons, 1 power fist, droppod 305 pts
Death co. dread w/ blood talons, droppod 160 pts
Death co. dread w/ blood talons, droppod 160 pts
9 Assault marines w/ power weapon, hand flamer, flamer, droppod 202 pts

Hvy-

Dread w/ extra armor, multimelta, droppod 155 pts

So the total is only 1997. What I like to do is drop the 3 furiosos and the 2 death co. in first turn, throwing shield up for all the dreads and droppods. Dropping in the assault squad w/ librarian in later rounds to clear off or contest an objective. It's fun to play with. Also played this list a little differnt with all lucius pattern droppods and at 2250 pts.
SEMPER FORTIS- ALWAYS COURAGEOUS
tear of the angel

Postby rosco » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:36 am

fred maybe you can point me in the right direction--where is it saying a dc dread is not a scoring unit? i know dc are not scoring under black rage but i don't remember reading that for the dreads.
good bad i'm the guy with the gun
rosco

Postby DragonBait » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:47 am

Vehicles can't be scoring units period, even if they're troops. BRB says so.
"What's you're job?"
"Oh, I'm retired now. I invented dice when I was a kid."
DragonBait

Postby Crumpsky » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:49 pm

Fred this is a question for you, having not play tested storm ravens how well do they survive on the table? Do you start it on the table, or in reserves? I like the idea of the 10 man unit with astroth but I fear that if I dont go first every gun is aimed at that bad boy, and if I have to reserve it, then it may not come in when I need it.

NEW LIST

So I looked at Astroth and I thought he was pretty cool.

Astroth-220

2x Furioso Dreadnought-380
- Extra Armor
- Drop Pod

1x Furioso Librarian Dreadnought-210
- Drop Pod
- Locator Beacon
- Psychic Powers
- Blood Lance
- Wings of Sanguinius

2x 8 Death Company-320

1x 8 Assault Marines-189
- Drop Pod
- Melta Gun
- Power Fist
(Astroth Rides with them)

2x Death Company Dreadnought-250
- Blood Talons

3x Space Marine Dreadnought-420
- Drop Pod

First wave of 4 pods will be: Librarian Dread, SM Dread, SM Dread, SM Dread

Astroth will use the beacon of the librarian dread to come down safe if the rest of the army is up there, or go somewhere where he can disembark without getting shot to bits.

Im not convinced on the Stormraven. I do like the 2 squads of DC instead of 1. For some reason there are still 8 dreads and the squad sizes are 8. Dont know why but it fits the name lol.

What do you think of the revised list?
Crumpsky

Return to Army Lists (40K)