[1000] Space Marine - Vulkan List

Post and review Warhammer 40K army lists.

[1000] Space Marine - Vulkan List

Postby BFTrick » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:34 pm

Hello,

Here is my list for the Team Tournament. My team mates are another drop pod marine, a chimera/vet imperial guard player, and a Black Templar player (his list).

My List

Vulkan 190

Iron Clad Dreadnought - 185
-Lucius Drop Pod (can assault on the turn it arrives)

10 Tactical Marines - 235
-melta
-multimelta
-sergeant /w powerfist
-drop pod

10 Tactical Marines - 230
-flamer
-multimelta
-sergeant /w powerfist
-drop pod

10 Scouts - 150
-9 sniper rifles
-1 missile launcher

total - 990

Any thoughts on the list?

I was thinking that I can spend the last 10 points on a combi flamer for the sergeant so I can have one squad attach it to Vulkan and have 3 twin linked flamers (1 of which is heavy) drop down and torch whatever is in the open.
Last edited by BFTrick on Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BFTrick

Postby Crumpsky » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:22 am

Why scouts? And I would take another melta instead of the flamer in the second squad, that 1 melta shot can take out alot.

I feel like that scout squad can be better equipped. Maybe drop the number of guys down to 8 and lose the multi meltas for another pod squad with melta and combi melta.

I would lose the fists on the sergeants, its to kill them with wound allocation you can save the points.

With vulcan I would load up on meltas because if I'm not mistaken makes them twinlinked also.

Only suggestions of things I would do :) Trying to focus the list instead of having 1 unit flame 1 unit melta and the scouts just sit around.
Crumpsky

Postby BFTrick » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:17 pm

Crumpsky wrote:Why scouts?

I feel like that scout squad can be better equipped. Maybe drop the number of guys down to 8 and lose the multi meltas for another pod squad with melta and combi melta.

Well I am not sold on scouts; the reason I took them is that I thought they would be good units to hold any objectives in the rear table quarters. And they can give a little supporting fire while they sit there.

But they didn't perform very well last game (against Tyranids where their sniper rifles should have actually done something). So I am considering dropping them but I want a third troop unit since my troops are vulnerable once they are out of their pods, and it would be really easy for my opponent to focus his fire and kill all my troops.

I don't have my codex in front of me but I thought that you could only take a drop pod if you have 10 guys. Army Builder supports this claim. Otherwise another pod with some troops in it would be viable.

Crumpsky wrote:And I would take another melta instead of the flamer in the second squad, that 1 melta shot can take out alot.

My first list had this; I played against Tyranids and realized how worthless a melta can be. Keep in mind that Vulkan also twin-links flamers. I think I am going to keep the flamers in there so when I play orks, tyranids, or other horde armies I can do something to them when I drop down.

Crumpsky wrote:I would lose the fists on the sergeants, its to kill them with wound allocation you can save the points.

I didn't do great in my first game but the powerfists seemed to be the only thing holding the squad together during assault. Would you give them powerweapons or just naked?
BFTrick

Postby Crumpsky » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:19 pm

If you want to give them something then put on a power weapon. I just feel that powerfists on tac squad sergeants is a think of the past. It is to easy to get them kill and they are very expensive.

I thought that pods were dedicated transports and could be taken with any squad size. I'll check soon.

If you want to have the scouts hold an objective in the back then make them cheap so opponents will forget you have them. 5 man bare naked unit. It will loosen up some more points.
Crumpsky

Postby tear of the angel » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:03 am

First off, I hope you have the actual forge world drop pod for your ironclad, cause I think they reguire that for this tournament. Scouts are kinda hit or miss, I have had games where they do great and then do horrible. But also being the only unit starting on the table isn't going to be that great either.

Yes you have to have 10 models for a tactical squad to take a drop pod.

Instead of scouts you could take two landspeeders w/ multimeltas and heavy flamers, thats 140 pts. Then with the 20 left over give both sergeants combi-weapons, or locator beacons on the droppods and deepstrike the land speeders.

The fist on your sergeant are fine in my opinion, but if you don't take combi weapons, make sure they have bolters instead of boltpistols, since the boltpistol doesn't do anything for him any more.
SEMPER FORTIS- ALWAYS COURAGEOUS
tear of the angel

Postby Crumpsky » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:25 pm

The scouts wont be the only thing on the table tear, this is for his adepticon list..... The speeders are a good option however I wouldnt take them as 1 unit of 2.

So now that the 10 man drop pod rule is clear we can work around that.

What do you see your army being able to do in a game? You should make a check list and see if it can at least do the majority of things on the list. Here are a couple

Kill nob bikers
Kill chimera parking lots
kill horde orks
kill TWC deathstar units
handle razor spam
Eldar seer council

just a couple of things you will probably see in the team tourney at adepticon on the higher up tables, if you want to contend with the big fish you need to bring a big rod (that sounds so funny :lol: ) Also make sure each list has good synergy and meshes with the others.
Crumpsky

Postby tear of the angel » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:49 pm

Yeah I totally forgot bout this being for the team tournament.

I would also probably only take one speeder.

Or depending on what the other pod army is running, say he's running master of the forge then you could take another dread w/ droppod.
SEMPER FORTIS- ALWAYS COURAGEOUS
tear of the angel

Return to Army Lists (40K)