Eldar War Walkers in the list

Post and review Warhammer 40K army lists.

Eldar War Walkers in the list

Postby moonshadow13 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:31 am

I ahve seen my buddy Phil play these to much positive and negative affects. As i noted he tended to go with STR6 spam and kill. As i am new to playing them i ahve aquired a few and wanted to give them a go.

This time however i wanted to go with the (3) war walkers with 6 bright lances to specifically go after Land raiaders, terminators, high toughness single mobs, and to be the bane for any IG that brings Vendettas or heavey armor tanks. These cost 270 pts and i wante to know what you thought about the points?

I have plenty of others to balance my army, but i wanted a serious ranged nut cracker and firing (6) bright lances with a BS 3 i figured gave me good odds and using squadron rules would come into play as i cant be stunned or shaken. So for your eldar plays whats your take on all of this?
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Postby n00bzilla99 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:27 pm

The reason that Scatter Laser war walkers work is that you get 24 shots to be able to hit something else.

You're looking at barely 3 bright lance hits every time, and then maybe a glance and pend, and with the glance you can only wreck skimmers on a 6 or immobilize other targets on that 6. And to pend you only have a 33% chance.

So if you math it out, you are looking at a 50% * 33% * 33% = 5.445% chance to wreck a vehicle of AV12 or higher.

I can think of many better anti-tank options in the Eldar codex. Scatter Laser war-walkers are great, bright lances on BS 3? Not so much unless you have a Guide-seer standing right next to them.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby DragonBait » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:48 pm

Your squadron rules are a little fuzzy too. When a vehicle in a squadron takes a stunning hit, it gets reduced to a shaken result. On the other hand, if a vehicle in a squadron takes an immobilized result, it gets vehicle destroyed instead....so take that into account...
"What's you're job?"
"Oh, I'm retired now. I invented dice when I was a kid."
DragonBait

Postby Crumpsky » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:44 pm

I have always believed that the best way to run War Walkers is giving them scatter lasers. Like Joe said you have 24 shots to fire at something else.

And knowing how you love eldar psychic powers you can guide the walkers and doom the unit you are shooting at and even terminators will go down due to taking a large number of saves.
Crumpsky

Postby seahawk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:27 am

I prefer rocket launchers on my war walkers, as the blasts are fantastic for 4+ armor dudes and the rockets are peachy for 3+. I always have a farseer with guide nearby to make up for the poor BS, and since Tom likes his farseers I'm guessing he'll have one too.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Crumpsky » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:06 pm

I dont have my codex on hand but I believe putting rockets on those guys are still making the unit take more points than needed. I would stick with the scatter lasers to save points that can be spent elsewhere. Although Rockets are nice and can multi-task, scatter lasers are still the safer/cheaper choice.
Crumpsky

Postby seahawk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:15 pm

240 points. My war walker construction is entirely based off the rest of my list, so it can vary as needed/desired. Rockets are usually best for my circumstances, as I have all the S6 I need elsewhere.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Return to Army Lists (40K)