While I'm painting Chaos...Nids list

Post and review Warhammer 40K army lists.

While I'm painting Chaos...Nids list

Postby RAMSEY » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:03 am

I haven't played Tyranids for a long time and run through the newest codex to see if I can find a usable list to field. My old list had no shooting and nether does this one.

This list is also from the models I have. I could add some unit but it would depend on how well they would work in the list. And yes I know without shooting it does not stand a chance against some armies, but I'm looking at how fun it would be to play.

Let me know what you think.

90 Prime BSx2

326 Genex20 BL
326 Genex20 BL
326 Genex20 BL

50 Termagantsx10
160 Tervigon(Carnifex proxy)

130 Lictorx2

230 Y Genex10
207 Y Genex 9

1845 Total

9 - KP(maybe more)
5+ Objective claiming units

76 Genestealers is a lot to worry about. With infiltrate and fleet they can be very dangerous.
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LEGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
No wait! That doesn't sound right.
RUMRUNNERS Gaming Group
Nephilim Jet Fighter…….. What’s it fighting?.... BALLOONS!
RAMSEY

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:20 am

It's those pesky skimmers you'll have a hard time against (like eldar). I wonder if a couple of Hive Guard might help.

Although I do like the idea of a mostly infiltrating army.

BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby jrnach » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:43 pm

Besides bringing vehicles down, the main problem with genestealer lists is the lack of assault grenades. You will have a very hard time dislodging tough cc units from cover.
jrnach

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:17 pm

The big units of Ymgarls have a decent chance against CC units in cover. As long as the cover is big enough, the Ymgarls will start in it and assault the enemy unit on the turn the Ymgarls arrive. Make sure to morph a 5 toughness for maximum survivability on the charge.

Other units that help get the enemy who hides in cover are as follows.

1. Lictors come with assault grenades
2. Venomthropes give assault grenades to every unit within 6"
3. Carnifexes can have assault grenades
4. Shoot the enemy out of cover with lots of shots. Devourer (Dakka) Gants have tons of shots. Dakka Carnifexes, especially in a unit of 2, will put out a ton of shots and should chase any enemy dedicated assault unit out of cover or be torrented to death.

I echo Brians concern with enemy skimmers. In the last edition, when vehicles were deathtraps, an all CC Bug list could work. In 5th edition you might be beating your head against the wall more often then not.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby n00bzilla99 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:27 pm

Fred, the Venomthrope gives Defensive grenades, not assault grenades.

I really do not see the potential in this list, a Genestealer CC list just doesn't work in 5th really anymore... especially against any list with tanks.

Lictors are terrible. You should really drop them and use the points for something better.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby Crumpsky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:47 pm

I agree with Joe, this list wont cut it against most of the 5th edition lists that are running around. If you came up against a heavy mech list it would be better to not even take your guys out of the trays.

Sadly Stealers arent what they used to be.
Crumpsky

Postby RAMSEY » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:09 pm

The Lictors don't have the scatter rule and they can shoot(minimal shooting) when they come in with 4 shots each. I can drop them behind vehicles when they arrive.

As far as Genes vs vehicles, larger squads mean more chances to hit and with all hits going against back armor. People wanting to shoot their vehicles at any target will either stand back to shoot(auto hit) or move minimal distance to shoot(hit on 4 or 6). Broodlord and Lictors both have higher strengths to help this out too.

I do like Carnifexes too but would only take them without shooty weapons(trying to stay with a theme here). I'm looking for a replacement for the Lictors too.

What I'm thinking is if I go first the troop Genes can infiltrate forward as far as they can. Scout move then move, run then assault hopefully in the first turn and multipe units putting a ton of pressure on the enemy. Hopefully in turn two a few reserves come in as a second wave. YGenes can move, run and assault when they come in. If I go second, hold everything in reserves and use scout rules to come in off the board edge. YGenes hiding in the center terrain waiting to catch the enemy deploying away from the edge of the table.

Like I said, I haven't done Nids for this edition rules yet. Will this list work? Maybe not. But the look on my oppents face? Priceless. :wink:
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LEGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
No wait! That doesn't sound right.
RUMRUNNERS Gaming Group
Nephilim Jet Fighter…….. What’s it fighting?.... BALLOONS!
RAMSEY

Postby n00bzilla99 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:14 pm

Stealers don't have scout anymore, just infiltrate.

Really, any army with some shooting should be able to shoot your army to nothing in 2 turns.

Stealers don't have any armor that really helps so a good round of shooting will see the unit completely crippled in terms of assault potential.

Sorry man, I just do not see any potential in this list against a non-foot slogging list, or any list that has some shooting.

Would be great against Necrons or a Slogging Orks list, but even then your success would be limited.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Return to Army Lists (40K)