1850 Grimnar List

Post and review Warhammer 40K army lists.

1850 Grimnar List

Postby Crumpsky » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:34 pm

I posted this in BC thread, but I wanted to see what others thought of it.

Logan

Lone Wolf /w Term Arm., Chainfist, Stormshield
Lone Wolf /w Term Arm., Chainfist, Stormshield
Lone Wolf /w Term Arm., Powerfist, Stormshield

10 Wolf Guard, 2 with Terminator Armor and Cyclones
5 Wold Guard, 1 with Terminator Armor and Cyclone

1 Thunderwolf Cavalry
1 Thunderwolf Cavalry

6 Long Fangs, 5 Missile Launchers
Crumpsky

Postby jrnach » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:43 pm

I think this may be a little too focused on missile launchers. I think you could lose one of the wolf guard squads and the lone wolves and add some scouts combi meltas on some of the wolf guard and maybe some more thunder wolf support.
jrnach

Postby Crumpsky » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:36 pm

Jrnach- Missile launchers play 2 roles in this list. One they can pretty much take out light vehicles with ease, also they can take down horde lists.

Also Logan can give a unit tank hunters, which effectively makes whatever missile launcher group he is with str 9.

Scouts are nice, but having those Lone wolfs running around stopping units/hitting tanks is just too good to pass up. You can negate wolf scouts with proper tactics.

And last but not least, this is not a thunderwolf list, I threw those 2 in there because: people tend to crap their pants when they see them, and they can be a nasty little speed bump/multi charge unit.

I would like to see what you would add, throw a unit down. If you think scouts can be more useful how would you build their unit.
Crumpsky

Postby Skrivus » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:49 pm

I think overall it's very good against most opponents, think the main vulnerability is going to be against AV 14, whether it be multiple land raiders or Battlewagons.

This will really hurt especially in the Kill Points, as your lone wolves cause you to start the game down three points.

Just having two single thunderwolves without any upgrades isn't really enough to force your opponent to worry about them, in the way that a tooled out wolf lord on wolf mount or kitted out t-wolf squad can.
Skrivus

Postby jrnach » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Here's the loganwing I'm considering running at the next awc:

Logan grimnar
rune priest jaws living lightning chooser of the slain
4 wolf guard combi meltas las/plas razorback
4 wolf guard 3 combi plasmas 1 combi melta las/plas razorback
10 wolf guard 4 terminator armor 2 wolf claws 1 power fist 2 combi meltas 2 cyclone missile launchers
5 wolf guard 1 terminator cyclone missile launcher
6 long fangs 5 missile launchers
6 long fangs 5 missile launchers
5 scouts power weapon melta gun
5 thunder wolf cavalry 1 bolter 1 melta bomb 1 power fist

This list still packs alot of ranged shooting with the dual threat of combi weapons out of razorbacks. I like the extra terminators on the big squad for a little more punch and durability. The thunderwolves stay back and counterattack anything that advances. I've used three long fang squads several times and I find that there usually isn't room to give them all good firing positions. I also think the rune priest is indespensable with psychic defence and the tank hunting living lightning.
jrnach

Postby Crumpsky » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:55 pm

I probably could drop a Long Fang squad. I have found the same problem before Jrnach, there just arent enough firing positions.

AV 14 gets gobbled by the Lone Wolves. People tend to forget about them, plus they stick around.

If I drop that longfang squad, I could either tool up the TWC, or I could drop the LF and a LW and get some scouts and tool up the TWC.

I really want to stay away from lots of TWC though because they are a pain to convert/buy.

Oh and JR it seems your scouts have an identity crisis, are they going to assault squads hiding in the back or are they going to hunt tanks? I either stuck to Power weapon, or just meltagun.
Crumpsky

Postby jrnach » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:14 pm

The scouts can do both because I attach one of the wolf guard with combi meltas to the squad. the idea is that you pop a transport and attack the guys insides, or just assualt things in the backfield. It's better to give the power weapon to the wolf guard but I just don't have it modeled that way.
jrnach

Return to Army Lists (40K)