"Bringing the Big Guns" Chaos 1850 pt army

Post and review Warhammer 40K army lists.

"Bringing the Big Guns" Chaos 1850 pt army

Postby moonshadow13 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:54 am

I was looking into some fun army ideas based off of my ard boyz tounament chaos army and like always i wanted some insight and thoughts from you guys as you always have great ideas to tweek it. I left my book list on my desk at home (i cant list points) but it is still fresh in my mind what i added.

Daemon Prince - Mark of Tzeentch, wings, bolt of change, warptime

Daemon Prince - Mark of Tzeentch, wings, bolt of change, warptime

Summoned Greater Daemon

Plague marines (5) - Plague champ, (2) melta guns
Rhino- Daemonic possession, Havoc launcher, dozer blade

Plague marines (5) - (2) plasma guns

Plague marines (5) - (2) plasma guns

Chaos Dreadnaught - plasma cannon, extra armor, heavy flamer

Chaos Dreadnaught - plasma cannon, extra armor, heavy flamer

Chaos Dreadnaught - twin-linked las cannon, extra armor, heavy flamer

Defiler - Havoc launcher

Defiler - Havoc launcher

Defiler - Havoc launcher ( i think i have only 2 defilers i will comfirm later)
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Postby n00bzilla99 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:14 pm

It's interesting... however I see a few things. First and foremost is that Dreadnought spam which could get you in trouble with a few bad dice rolls. The second is the inherent lack of troops. A few good cracks and those PM are in the open and 5 guys won't last long.

Other than that it's pretty interesting.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby The Black Knight » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:48 pm

Having only 1 champ also really limits your options as to where your GD can come in... especially if he would happen to die before the GD arrives, leaving you nobody to possess.
The Black Knight always triumphs.
The Black Knight

Postby moonshadow13 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:52 pm

Black, yes i did look at that champ thing intially, but since i played it a few times or close to it i found that every opponent ignores my little 5 man units when they have 2 princes, 3 dreads, and 2 to 3 defilers moving right in their faces. the PMs have staying power too so they are not easy to kill :). i also thought of a tactic to just keep them safe to take counters and just shoot from range with the AP 2 and 1 guns in assist mode.

When the big ugly shows up that turns into 3 large creatures to fight and all having 4+ invul. makes it fun.

Yes, The dread spam is one of my most fun things to do. With the ruling on the 45 degree facing arc though it tends to go in my favor alot. In fact in the 12 games i have used this similar tactic i had only 1 bad reaction.

I blew the gun off my las cannon guy with one of the other dreads, but damn is it fun when i had 2 stand still and shoot twice right into a huge band of 30 orcs (double heavy flamers FTW) or a full terminator squad of 8 that jumped one of my princes and tore him apart (the plasma guns are devistating) and he lost his entire squad to AP 2 X 2.

I believe i asked about them a long time ago before i fielded them as i noticed noone ever really played with them at all. I think the new 45 degree rule fixed the problem with the turn and face and attack the nearest opponent.

The ruling now is the closest person they can see in their 45 degree arc so you point them foward and stay out of their arc. Then end up shooting or running foward a you spread them out to assist. either way its fricken hilarious when you roll a 1 or 6.

Still i love the input and you guys really make me think about it. I think i had 3 champs originally, but it took away from fielding another dread or defiler.

If i had a choice to fight with this army i think daemons with all invul and immune to instant death would be the hardest to fight (shakes his fist at Depayen). But SM, IG, Orks should die (and did die) like wheat to this army due to its in your face all at once setup.

I did play 2 blood angel players and they didnt like it much either. One of them was the termie player with a librarian in the mix coming out of the land raider crusader. He just sat there with mouth open and i unloaded 4 plasma shots and 4 heavy flamers into his entire squad. its hard to make 8 5+ saves with 24 2+ saves when all was said and done. the land raider actually died too as my meltas were right there (and ignored) in their vehicle.

Thanks for liking my setup. let me know if you have anymore tweeks you would recommend for it. This is my work in progress army as i tend to use 1 land raider instead of 2 defilers for vehicle killing (that and i only have 1 defiler i own and borrow Depayen's 2 he has). :lol:

moonshadow13

Postby GregSwanson » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:23 am

I would drop all the havoc launchers. Especially on the defilers. The twin linked autocannon is probably just as good and can hurt light vehilces if for some reason the big cannon is destroyed. Also if you drop the havoc launchers on the rhinos you can add back in the champs and slap a meltabomb on them always nice to have a can opener. Plus that way if someone does something that you are not suspecting you could use your greater daemon to counter it. Plus will give you more flexability in terms of where he comes in.
That crazy fireman!
I am not smart but I can lift heavy things!
In the grim darkness of the future, there is only war. There are not massive army costume parties and campy parade floats. - xNickBaranx
GregSwanson

Postby moonshadow13 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:41 am

Updated army based off of points and idea from you guys. nice one there greg i was trying to see where i could take points without taking their effectivenes away from them.

Daemon Prince - Mark of Tzeentch, wings, bolt of change, warptime 200 pts

Daemon Prince - Mark of Tzeentch, wings, bolt of change, warptime 200 pts

Summoned Greater Daemon 100 pts

Plague marines (5) - Plague champ, (2) melta guns, melta bomb 155 pts
Rhino- Daemonic possession, dozer blade 60 pts

Plague marines (5) - Plague champ, (2) plasma guns 160 pts

Plague marines (5) - Plague champ, (2) plasma guns 160 pts

Chaos Dreadnaught - plasma cannon, extra armor, heavy flamer 125 pts

Chaos Dreadnaught - plasma cannon, extra armor, heavy flamer 125 pts

Chaos Dreadnaught - twin-linked las cannon, extra armor, heavy flamer 145 pts

Defiler - 150 pts

Defiler - 150 pts

Defiler - 150 pts

This comes out at a perfect 1850 in pts. Now its a matter of drop the heavy flamers from the defilers and add a close combat arm?

moonshadow13

Postby Lord Krungharr » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:57 pm

Ooh, I'm so happy someone came up with a fun Chaos Walker army:) With regard to the Defiler flamers, I'd probably take the extra close combat arms instead. Better chance of hitting vehicles that way, towards which I'd be fleeting if in possible range, or just walking if too far to assault (whilst blasting things).
Lord Krungharr

Postby Crumpsky » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:11 pm

You could possibly cut the deamonic possession off the Rhinos to throw some points into giving the defilers those extra close combat arms. If you rush all the big things towards your opponent I think they may have bigger (no pun intended) things to worry about.
Crumpsky

Postby Lord Krungharr » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:57 pm

That's a good idea, who cares if the Rhinos get shaken or stirred, they're good for moving 12" in their first turn and then if lucky, contesting objectives. Keep 'em cheap.
Lord Krungharr

Postby moonshadow13 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:20 pm

the close combat arms are free. i just drop the heavy flamer and switch it out. The damonic possesion is so if they stun/shaken me i can ignore it and still move and shoot (or end of game move to take a counter and attack). Its a good thing to have as i need to keep my 5 man plague marines mobile with their str 8 and 7 weapons to shoot at units with.

Still i have been working on this army idea for awhile. Now its time to finish painting it and give it a go. I just need time to work on the other stuff. Thanks for the input though as i am continuing to tweek it and play test it.

moonshadow13

Postby tear of the angel » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:31 am

where did they change the dreads firing arc at. Just curious as I havent seen it anywhere. Only that its a straight line down the sides.
SEMPER FORTIS- ALWAYS COURAGEOUS
tear of the angel

Postby Crumpsky » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:14 am

I would give your all your plague marine squads meltaguns. Having the range of a plasma is nice, but you cant shoot and charge which is something you may need to do late game to push for an objective.
Crumpsky

Postby moonshadow13 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:46 pm

Tear

Its the GW FAQ or just clarification to the rules by GW that the Dread has a 45 degree frontal view. the closest unit freind or foe he can see during the firing phase he will turn and shoot at. The head does not pivot on teh body therefore just like a hull mounted weapon there is a 45 Degree arc of fire (or in this case to see).

I played with them again this weekend and it only came up once with a player who has not played against them. It was just explained that he has to "SEE" the unit to turn and shoot at it. So if he "SEES" a unit then pivots to shoot at him and there is another unit that will come into view after he pivots to fire. Its too late as he already declared his attack and is now turning his body to bring his weapon fully to bear upon that unit.

Crumpsky

I did look at that as a option but i was just going to keep them in teh vehicle the whole time until forced out or in a coup-de-gra. i love shooting 4 str 7 ap2 shots at people and hide in the vehicle's protection. still those meltas are nice and saves me another 10 pts per unit.

Thanks guys for the info this army is going to be great when its all tweeked out :).

moonshadow13

Return to Army Lists (40K)