Space Wolf Terminator List (w/ Logan)

Post and review Warhammer 40K army lists.

Space Wolf Terminator List (w/ Logan)

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:44 pm

I'm really digging the Space Wolf Terminator models. Any thoughts on how to do a "Loganwing" and be somewhat effective?

Anyone try it out, and if so what does a typical 1850 list comprise of?

Thanks,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby jrnach » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:57 pm

I've found that the best way to run loganwing is with mixed squads. All terminators just aren't cost effective. I run my loganwing two different ways, 1 is drop podding with mixed squads with combi weapons and logan with multimelta longfangs, the other is mixed squads with cyclone missile launchers plus long fangs and thunderwolves. I've found both of these to be pretty effective.
jrnach

Postby Crumpsky » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:02 pm

I have been toying with this idea for a while.

Logan

Lone Wolf /w Term Arm., Chainfist, Stormshield
Lone Wolf /w Term Arm., Chainfist, Stormshield
Lone Wolf /w Term Arm., Powerfist, Stormshield

10 Wolf Guard, 2 with Terminator Armor and Cyclones
5 Wold Guard, 1 with Terminator Armor and Cyclone

1 Thunderwolf Cavalry
1 Thunderwolf Cavalry

6 Long Fangs, 5 Missile Launchers

I know it is not a terminator list, but if you want to be any bit competitive (realistically) you would not want to run an all termie list. You would be battling out of a hole in many games. All terminator lists are better suited for the DA because I'm pretty sure they are all fearless (something wolf guard aren't).
Crumpsky

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:13 pm

Well I guess going all termy scoring you could try (I dont have a codex handy so tweek the points to make it work.)

HQ
Logan

Rune Priest (chooser)

Troops
4 x WG termy armour w/ combi weapons (plas or melta your choice)
1 WG Cyclone ML
Put that in a drop pod
I believe its 250 pts.

Do that 5 times for 5 scoring units with ML and 4 combi weapon termies that score.

Heavy
6 Long Fangs 5 MM (drop pod)

Extra drop pod to play with amount of termy squads you want to drop.
Also, you can drop Logan with the Multi Meltas and he can give them relentless so you can fire when you drop.

Leaves 40 pts or so to put chainfists, SS, TH in the squads or whatever you want to do.

Its low model count
6 Fangs
25 Termies
6 Drop pods
Logan
Priest

But could be effective and can react to anything.

Dont know how competetive but it would be cool to be all termies that score.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:26 am

For that MM drop with logan, do you need to make sure you bring a second drop pod at least? I can see most opponents just electing to hold everything in reserve so they don't get worked 1st turn.

I would guess you'd want the option to hold it as a 2nd+ turn drop in case that scenario happens.

Thanks,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby Crumpsky » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:50 pm

I think the MM Fangs with Logan is just a waste. Yeah you will be able to crack 2 units when it comes down, but now you just put logan and a Long Fang unit right in the face of the enemy guaranteeing it to die.

Now if you stick him with those missile fangs, or that big squad of 10 you can give them tank hunters and get the str 9 missiles, which still hurt and from range.
Crumpsky

Postby tg787 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:51 pm

I won best general in the 2k tourney with my version of logan wing. At 1850 I think there are much better sw lists to bring, but if you have your heart set on it, the biggest issue you need to over come is reach and length. Jordan is right on with dp giving you length or if you like tricky games take a regular land raider. You can get reach with long fangs and ll priests.
tg787

Return to Army Lists (40K)