Chaos Terminators

Post and review Warhammer 40K army lists.

Chaos Terminators

Postby moonshadow13 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:52 pm

I noticed in several of the tournaments i play in that Chaos players tend to avoid fielding terminators. While the SM players use them constantly.

I was curious as to why this is and to post a partial army setup and get some feed back.

Chaos Terminators (5) Mark of Tzeentch, (3) pairs of lighting claws (2) chain fists (5) champion upgrade

Chaos Land Raider (1) dozer blade, daemonic possesion

I forgot my point set up as i am at work and dont have it in front of me, but i was wondering your thoughts on this (should be typical) chaos termmie set up for an elite squad.
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Postby Redbeard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:06 pm

Well, one reason is that chaos terminators just aren't as good as loyalist terminators w/ stormshields.

Another is that Chaos Land Raiders aren't as good as Loyalist Land Raiders.

A third is that Chaos has other options for a solid assault unit, whereas loyalists don't.

Assault Terminator terminators are about the best assault/counter assault unit a codex Space Marine army can field. Chaos Terminators have competition from Berserkers, Daemon Princes and even Plague Marines.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:52 pm

Chaos can't get storm shields, period. Nobody really takes the Space Marine Termiator with powerfist and storm bolter and that's what the Chaos Terminator is equivelent to. I guess the icons were supposed to make the Chaos Termies a little better, but it dodn't work out to well.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby DragonBait » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:53 pm

Yeah the Stormshield argument is the biggest thing I see against Chaos Termies. Also yes a Land Raider is still a land raider and good, but not loyalist good. One thing that I always seem to notice is that Chaos Termies seem to die to attrition easier than Loyalist ones...maybe that part is just in my head though...
"What's you're job?"
"Oh, I'm retired now. I invented dice when I was a kid."
DragonBait

Postby The Black Knight » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:26 am

Ditto to everything mentioned already. If you are going to run some chaos termies, consider slaanesh termies.... I5 lightning claws, getting the re-rolls to wound while striking before a lot of basic units is a decent combo.
The Black Knight always triumphs.
The Black Knight

Postby Hero Jones » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:28 pm

That, and the fact that the Chaos Terminators aren't fearless.

HJ
Hero Jones

Postby moonshadow13 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:49 pm

this is really good info and thanks to black knight for giving me another look at a chaos terminators setup and how to play them.

moonshadow13

Postby theblessing8386 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:16 pm

Chaos termies are great its just like others said, they have to compete. The best possible way I can think of them is to just go the cheap route.

10 termies, choas glory and 2 chain fist, 2 heavy flamer. This unit is only around 330 pts and is a hard nut to crack (where loyalist pay around 400+ for this unit).

Other then that you have to use the marks to what you want the unit to do. I play death guard so of course my termies have mark of nurgle, but I have noticed that it makes them take a lot of hits in hand to hand so they can keep coming with the lighting claws (as ours don't have grenades).

Bottom line is if you like them, take them as they are NOT a garbage unit.... Just on the same lv as cheaper guys.
theblessing8386

Postby rosco » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:58 am

the only thing the chaos terms has over the loyal ones is if you take 3 squads you can grab a land raider for each one. the loyal terms are limited to 1 for the regular terms and one for an assault squad.

like everybody else mentioned there are too many options that are also rock solid assault teams and the lack of certain gear that keeps them from screaming take me in your list.
good bad i'm the guy with the gun
rosco

Postby moonshadow13 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:39 am

I ahve ran the 5 man with lighting claws and mark of slaanesh twice now in 2 diffent tournaments. I slaughtered SW thunder cav with their leader and hit and nailed a few others. YOu ahve to use them correctly and never go against a blood angel HQ with a higher intiative than you are. That was the only time they were made useless as he killed 3 out of the 5 before i could even attack.

Now i just have to build them a special transport out of the new chaos land raider i got and maybe make a few new units out of the new used stuff i just got.

Still looking at practicing running a unit of big guns with mark of tzeentch. That 4+ invul helps alot for surviving the unsurvivable.

moonshadow13

Return to Army Lists (40K)