2500 Ard Boyz Necron army (yes i said necrons )

Post and review Warhammer 40K army lists.

2500 Ard Boyz Necron army (yes i said necrons )

Postby moonshadow13 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:50 pm

As always i buying and reading all of these different codexes i found another (very old race) that i would like to play. I am no expert, but then again Necrons seem so easy and simple to play with numerous annoying tricks they can play (just like the eldar).

So i am putting together some army list ideas for this tournament and was wondering if there are any necron players that could tell me if my build is good or not.

(HQ) Necron lord: resurection orb, phase shifter, gaze of flame, phylactery, warscyythe - 210 pts

(HQ) Necron lord: resurection orb, phase shifter, gaze of flame, phylactery, warscyythe - 210 pts

(T) Warriors (13): disruption filed (13)- 240 pts

(T) Warriors (12): disruption filed (12)- 240 pts

(T) Warriors (10): disruption filed (10)- 220 pts

(T) Warriors (10): disruption filed (10)- 200 pts

(FA) destroyer (5) - 250

(FA) destroyer (5) - 250

(HS) Heavy Destroyer (3) - 195

(HS) Monolith - 235

(HS) Monolith - 235

that leaves me with 15 pts and as you already know these things aren't much for upgrades. My thought was to make a army that can not only handle mechanize which this one will do at both long and short range, but at teh same time be able to corral a horde army with minimal effort due to their amazing ability to port around the board using the Monoliths.

Due to the phasing thing i was looking at a possibility of changing a lord around to get that extra 5 points and make it a little harder to get that 25% situation.

I do have 1 question though. Is the necron disembarking from a monolith? So he can still move and shoot depending if the monolith moved or not?
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Postby Chubs » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:18 pm

you may be better off with More fire power and less Monoliths.

Consider taking Veil loard rather than clones walking lords. Orb/Vel for back feild duty and last turn objective grab..

Something like Destroyer, Phase shifter, orb + warscythe for flanks and speacial task... and more importanty killing deads. Plus they can turbo head and break stuff, but still hide in units (say like... Scarabs, full squad)

Drop the D fields on some of your crons to free up points.

At the end of the day, can this army in it's currant state beat 4 typical 'ard boys 2500 list?
1 - IG Leafblower
2 - Deamon Crusher spam
3 - Nob Bikers (or other death stars)
4 - competetive mounted marines (B Angles and Wolves) specifically

If you think it can, keep the army the way it is.
The handsome face of 2T1C
Chubs

Postby moonshadow13 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:03 am

Great idea i will revamp my list as i am still in the middle of building this army. I did have a few questions because i am not sure on all of the tactics of necrons.

#1 As i read the rules for deep striking a monolith. You can basically drop them right on top of the enemy right in the middle of their units and they have to scatter out of the way. Would this then be a perfect tactic then to scatter you enemy around especially verses a IG army or hoarde with the vehicles or units all nicely stacked up in a group? Since they are damn near impossible to kill and reduce all pen rolls to a 1d6.

I realize they can block the entrance but thats not what i really was looking to do with the monoliths. I just wanted to crash their party and then every round just move through their army pushing it around while shooting them to death to cause havoc in their fire lines.

I love the veil idea so i will make some changes there I will remake the list with your ideas and we can continue from there. Also i see what you are saying with the disruption fields. Are they any good? I choose them becasue basically it give them the ability to damage any high armor value vehicle where i wouldn't be able to otherwise.

I was going to have the lords creep around with the orbs to prevent instant kills. So what you are saying is i should have one in the back with the long range boys and 1 up from with the warriors?

moonshadow13

Postby Chubs » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:24 am

At the end of the day, you gotta play what you feel comfortable with and not a 'net list', unless that's your thing.

About the 'lith... I'm not getting into a rules conversation. There is an arguement about the mishap but really shouldn't matter because....
you should take 3 or zero liths in a 2500.

Destroyers, in my opinion, are the killing power the necron army. S6 put wounds on everything - don't get tricking into shooting AV. Destroyer shoot and destroy infantry.

Lords - I like Destroyer lords because they are quick to re deploy and the whole T6 thng. take one, take two, it's all good.

Before we get more into what we like and what you like in the necron army, honestly... how do you plan to beat the army out there for ard boys?

The game has changed since Necrons won two years ago...
The handsome face of 2T1C
Chubs

Postby moonshadow13 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:59 am

Well, I won't be able to play it on the 12 of june. I don't have all the stuff i need yet. As far as a tactic to beat the most used armies say mech armies i was looking at a 2 prong assualt and contain. I was reading up on them and their tactics that have been used in the past. Your pointers gave me a great idea to tweak it and i will post the new army soon. I was literally planny to cut their army in half using teh monoliths as both a sheild and a way to drop right into the mist of their army causing a massive disruption.

The bug have a guy that can go in and out, but won't live very long. The only thing i know that can drop a monolith fast is the eldar wraithcannon or D-cannon. Something that can just instant penatrait or glance you reguardless of armor protection. Otherwise i can just stand there and crush stuff and push it out of my way while unloading on them.

if possible i will use the warp gates on them. Otherwise i split my lords. One is mounted and will move with the 2 destoyer units and 1 heavy destoyer unit to flank the weak side. Using the walking lord i will reinforce them with 1 large warrior unit and lord and have teh smaller 10 man units gate in or come in from the back side to secure objectives.

I ahve played aainst them alot with my Eldar and though i ahve the ability to wipe them i find they just get back up and or use the gate to get back up twice. Again you can adjust to play but all in all you have up to 3 saves a turn per guy (armor save, will be back roll (orb bonus vs instant kill), and will be back using the monoliths (again you ge to use the orb bonus)

So basdically i really like your idea with the mounted lord, but instead of 2 i am using 1 and will have 3-10 man warrior units and 1 big 15 to 20 man unit with the lord with a few tricks to play. I will post it here in a bit and you can continue to help me tweak it. If i am lucky i can borrow a army from someone to play in the finals at the bunker (if i make it that far) as i still don't think i can aquire all teh models in time for teh last one.

For the semis i plan to run either Eldar or Chaos as i am ready there thanks to Depayen loaning me some pieces to finish out and army design i made.

moonshadow13

Postby RAMSEY » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:28 pm

I agree that regular Destroyers are the the killing power of the army. If you can take 15 of them do so. Even destroyer can make it so enemy vehicles can't shoot. I would heavy ones to round out your list.

Having one big unit of Warriors will be a big let down if they get into HTH and lose combat and their leadership roll. Stay with the 10 man squads. And i agree to nix the D fields on them to move the points to something else.

I do not agree with taking more than one Monolith. Most opponents know how to take apart any necron list. They will avoid the Monolith(s) and try to get you to phase out. So a good sturdy base of Warriors might work better for you.

I agree with "At the end of the day, you gotta play what you feel comfortable with and not a 'net list', unless that's your thing." Not everyone has the same playing style so do what you find works for you.

Good Luck
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LEGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
No wait! That doesn't sound right.
RUMRUNNERS Gaming Group
Nephilim Jet Fighter…….. What’s it fighting?.... BALLOONS!
RAMSEY

Postby GrouchoM07 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:08 pm

As a long suffering (ever since 5th edition came out) Necron player, here's some of my tips. Drop the Disruption Fields from the warriors, it's only effective against land raiders. Everything else has a rear armor of 10 so 6's will glance anyways. I'd go with 2 min units of warriors and try to keep them in reserve as long as possible. They suck in HtH and their guns are useless except when you're in charge range. I have to strenuously disagree with Ramsey. There is no such thing as a "sturdy base of Warriors". Also, taking one Monolith would be the worst choice. Either take none or two or more. If you take none, then you can put 9 Heavy Destroyers on the board. Multiple Monoliths are great for hiding big chunks of your army from the opponent. Personally, I like hiding a C'Tan behind them. It's the only decent counter-assault unit in the entire army. I'd put the Lord in a Destroyer body w/Warscythe, Orb and whatever else you can fit in. He'll fly around with the Destroyers keeping them alive with all the STR 10 you'll undoubtedly face in 'ard Boys.

Personally, I don't think the Necrons are a viable army in 5th edition.
I reject your reality and substitute my own ...
GrouchoM07

Postby RAMSEY » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:28 am

Maybe a "strudy base of warriors" is not the right thing, but a good base of Necrons will help tons from phasing out. Just taking two units of warriors is a big mistake, since only troops can capture.

How can taking one Monolith be "the worst choice"? Taking too many units that are not Necrons works against the phase out too. Everyone knows to avoid them and get into HtH with Necrons. More than one Monolith is a points soak. Points that can be better spent some place else.

And taking a C'tan? :roll: Never in a tournament setting. People treat it like a Monolith. Avoid, avoid, avoid.
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LEGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
No wait! That doesn't sound right.
RUMRUNNERS Gaming Group
Nephilim Jet Fighter…….. What’s it fighting?.... BALLOONS!
RAMSEY

Postby moonshadow13 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:25 pm

well i revamped it again with some great advice. (thanks guys)

I did want to use 2 monoliths - I can either play with them both starting on the board or do the 1 on and 1 off and drop one right in the middle of my opponents army (unless they are eldar with wraithcannons).

I wanted to run with 4 warrior squads because of claiming objectives.

I looked at the disruption fields and i think you guys forgot to add in the dreadnaughts which i see getting used alot more now. any unit of these would basically die or tie them up being near a orb. Its only 2 pts each so on a 10 man i lose 20 points. I did however set up 2 ways to do it. using your ideas for army building.

(HQ) Necron lord: resurection orb, veil of darkness, warscyythe - 210 pts

(HQ) Necron lord: resurection orb, phase shifter, destroyer body, warscyythe - 210 pts

(T) Warriors (16): disruption filed (16)- 320 pts

(T) Warriors (11): 198 pts

(FA) destroyer (5) - 250

(FA) destroyer (5) - 250

(HS) Heavy Destroyer (3) - 195

(HS) Monolith - 235

(HS) Monolith - 235

total: 2449

I realize tactic come into play here as these are a versital army with the ability to get 3 total saves to stay alive. My thought was to have 1 lord supporting each unit type and keep 2 - 10 man units in reserve of warriors.

I will form a wedge around the destroyer lord with the 2 units of destroyers flanking each side and the 3 big guns up front (they will HAVE to shoot them making them great bait) With the orb backing them up they can come back no matter what you shoot them with (unless i roll a 3 or less).

I put the other lord with the large unit and if they get based by a dread well then that could go in my favor. Lastly i can use the monoliths to pull them out of melee combats to come back and shoot you again.

So that still leave me with the question do the necrons get to move and shoot when coming through the monolith gateway?

Also if a lord is part of a unit does his base count towards the units phase out number? Example: 16 man unit of warriors has to be down to 4 to phase, but if you add the lord's base to count they will have to be down to 3.

moonshadow13

Postby LordSeverus » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:35 pm

necrons phase as an army not a unit. So the lord goes towards the armies total. Unit size means nothing in regards to phase out.
LordSeverus

Postby GrouchoM07 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:44 pm

RAMSEY wrote:Maybe a "strudy base of warriors" is not the right thing, but a good base of Necrons will help tons from phasing out. Just taking two units of warriors is a big mistake, since only troops can capture.

How can taking one Monolith be "the worst choice"? Taking too many units that are not Necrons works against the phase out too. Everyone knows to avoid them and get into HtH with Necrons. More than one Monolith is a points soak. Points that can be better spent some place else.

And taking a C'tan? :roll: Never in a tournament setting. People treat it like a Monolith. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

All I need is one unit of warriors to survive to keep from phasing out. That's why I keep both in reserve as long as possible. The ideal situation would be bringing them both on from reserve on the 5th turn. With monoliths near objectives, you can even get them on objectives all the way across the board in that turn.

One Monolith is a waste at the 2500 point level. Everyone will have plenty of strength 9 & 10 weapons to take one out. That's why I like to have 2 in the probability of losing one. Good players will shoot at them if that's their only target so I've lost plenty of them. Feel free to ignore that C'Tan hiding behind the Monolith. I can either shove them down your throat or sit on an objective so you have to come to me. How else will I make you re-evaluate your decision to assualt my troops? Just ask Swanson, he'll tell you it'd be a huge mistake to ignore the C'Tan.
GrouchoM07

Postby GrouchoM07 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:19 pm

Moony, moony, moony. I love you, you crazy bastard.

You'll need at least 4 weapon destroyed and immobilized results to kill a dreadnaught. And that's after rolling a 4 to hit it and then a 6 to glance. I don't like those odds at all. The Lord has a decent chance to crack a Dread (STR 5 + 2d6), but it's still just a 19% chance of penetrating it per attack. You'd be much better off porting them out of combat through a Monolith or a Lord with a Veil. That's another reason to take two 'liths. To be able to extract two units from HtH. For the love of God, don't reserve a Monolith. Maybe it's OK to pop it down in the middle of an IG or Tau gunline. That Power Matrix is just too damn useful to give up even one turn off the board. That's a STR 9 AP 3 big template which can put huge holes in any non-Terminator army. Then there's that pesky re-roll WBB rolls which I use more often than not.

I just don't like big units of warriors. Way too fragile and not enough punch with their now useless gun. Personally, I'd rather have another 5 man unit of Destroyers than 14 more Warriors. At this point level, you might even consider some Immortals. Toughness 5 with a 24" range, Strength 5 gun with 2 shots. It's a Warrior on steroids. Warriors suck at holding objectives. That's why you have to try to take them as late in the game as possible.

It's in the Codex. Units emerging from the portal always count as disembarking from a stationary vehicle. So they can move 8" and shoot. There is some debate whether or not you can move the Monolith and still do this, but I play that way too.

Finally, the best number of Necrons is one less than any number divisible by 4. eg 15, 23, 31, 43

Necrons - Phase Out
12 - 3
13 - 3
14 - 3
15 - 3
16 - 4
GrouchoM07

Postby Samthewolflord » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:39 pm

k Well idk if u already did all this but i wanted to put my 2 cents in... i played necrons for 5 years. I would say drop the disruption fields. those suck up to many points. look at it this way. disruption feilds allow you in close combat to get a glancing hit on a 6 against tanks...why not just not assault the tank and rapid fire with your gauss weapons. your getting double the shots that hit on 3's instead of 4's possibly 6's if they tank moved fast enough and then ur u need 6's so its double the chances without the extra points. second get rid of the warscythes. You shoudlnt be getting into combat with them because they should be near your warriors with the orb. with those extra point which comes out to be what likealmost 100? use that for somethign else like maybe more warriors? and then id take out a monolith and use those points for even more warriors. remember warriors are your army thats just my opinion thougb
Samthewolflord

Postby GrouchoM07 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:29 am

Samthewolflord wrote:k Well idk if u already did all this but i wanted to put my 2 cents in... i played necrons for 5 years. I would say drop the disruption fields. those suck up to many points. look at it this way. disruption feilds allow you in close combat to get a glancing hit on a 6 against tanks...why not just not assault the tank and rapid fire with your gauss weapons. your getting double the shots that hit on 3's instead of 4's possibly 6's if they tank moved fast enough and then ur u need 6's so its double the chances without the extra points. second get rid of the warscythes. You shoudlnt be getting into combat with them because they should be near your warriors with the orb. with those extra point which comes out to be what likealmost 100? use that for somethign else like maybe more warriors? and then id take out a monolith and use those points for even more warriors. remember warriors are your army thats just my opinion thougb

I have to disagree with you on warriors & warscythes. The latter is the only power weapon in the entire army. It also has a good chance to take down any vehicle which is a severe problem for Necrons in the new edition. Taking out the glancing 6 destroyed vehichle for Gauss weapons completely screwed this army. It's one of the many reasons why Necron warriors suck so hard in 5th edition as well. Monoliths are pretty much the only unit that wasn't totally nerfed so I take as many as possible. As for warriors, they suck at shooting almost as much as they suck at assaulting. Destroyers, Immortals and Heavy Destroyers are all much better uses of points. Even C'Tan are better choices in low point games than massed warriors. Necrons used to be fun to play but they're now impossible to win with in 5th edition.
GrouchoM07

Postby Samthewolflord » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:04 am

lol well i dont want to diss you good sir but i won 95% of my games with necrons with the way i play. Immortals are to high in points and you put your phase out lvl at half as much. Andd necrons dont suck at shooting and yes i do agree that the ncrons not being able to get pen hits nerfed them but when you have fourty shots at a tank i average 5 glancing hits and that does a lot of damage.
Samthewolflord

Next

Return to Army Lists (40K)