Ard Boyz Nids

Post and review Warhammer 40K army lists.

Ard Boyz Nids

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Mon May 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Wanted to know what people thought of nids in general and their chances at Ard Boyz.
Here is the list I might run

HQ
Swarmlord
Tyrant Guard w. lash whip

Hive Tyrant
(paroxysm, leech, twin linked devourers, lash whip + bone sword)
Tyrant guard

Elite
2x Hive guard
3 x Hive Guard
Death leaper

Fast
10 x Gargoyles
10 x Gargoyles
5 X Raveners w/ rending claws

Troops
10 x boring gaunts
1 Tervigon (Adrenal, toxin, Onslaught, Scything Talons)
10 Genestealers w/ Broodlord
10 Genestealers w/ Broodlord

Heavy
Mawloc
Trygon
Trygon Prime

Thats it.

I wanted Venomthropes, but I wanted some of the other elite choices so for the cost of 2 venomthropes I bought 2 squads of 10 Gargoyles to screen my army for 4+ cover saves.

Dont know how it will work but curious on thoughts, comments.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Tue May 04, 2010 10:53 am

I would chuck the 2nd Hive Tyrant. I'm not sure he can accomplish as much as his points would dictate. In his place I would beef up the Swarmlords Guard and add more troops. Maybe some Warriors to add the synapse range you lose with the missing 2nd Tyrant or a big unit of Hormagaunts with poison.

I'm not a big fan of Deathleaper myself. I would go with Ymgarl Stealers or just more troops. (Warriors or poison stealers)
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby moonshadow13 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:53 am

To me the bugs are a plague upon the gaming verse and disrupt the balance of good and evil as they are neither just instinctual and devour everything in their path.

I have been studying the new nid book, but can not with a clear concience help further their cause. Fred has some good ideas for your army (shame on you Fred), but to me a good bug is a dead bug :) sorry i can't be more helpful than that :wink:
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Postby n00bzilla99 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:44 pm

I think it's a pretty good list. Deathleaper is great in my opinion if played right, but the lack of gribblies may be a bad thing for you.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Tue May 04, 2010 8:54 pm

Another thing. How about poison sacs on the Trygons? I fingure the str 6 can use the reroll against other MC's, Daemon and otherwise.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Turtle » Tue May 04, 2010 10:07 pm

dont forget if you put poison sacs on it it changes to wounding marines on 4's
"Here have a beer, Marines play better with beer: Rhysk
Turtle

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Wed May 05, 2010 6:39 am

Does it really? I thought it would wound anything no worse than a 4+ and a reroll if your str is equal to or greater than their toughness. I don't have a book with me, but are you sure poison on the Trygon will wound guardsman on a 4+??
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby n00bzilla99 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:37 am

Yep, poisoned (4+) in this case, means you will always wound on a 4+ regardless of toughness up or down.

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Wed May 05, 2010 12:50 pm

If I added anything to a Trygon it would be the Adrenal gland over the poison for reasons discussed above.

I will run this list two or three more times before changes, but I am on the fence with the Death Leaper, sure is useful for negating a psyker at range, or lowering Fateweavers Ld if I face deamons, but against orks.... not a lot to do.

I like the Ymagrl as they can get close to Mech IG. I still havent figured out a way for Nids to hit IG withought being shot to pieces at range only to be plasmad once I close.

Thats what the raveners are for.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Wed May 05, 2010 9:13 pm

This is what I would try.

HQ - Swarmlord w/ 2 guard

EL - 3 Zopes
EL - 3 Hive Guard
EL - 6 Ymgarl

TR - 18 Hoppies w/ poison
TR - 18 Hoppies w/ poison
TR - 5 Warriors w/ deathspitters
TR - 15 Genestealers w/ poison
TR - 6 Genestealers

HV - Trygon Prime
HV - Trygon
HV - Trygon

That's 2310pts and leaves 190pts to play with. I like the Ymgarl as a close threat that can't be stopped. I like the big unit of stealers to threaten the enemy immediately and protect some of the other units from 1st turn fire. The shooting is meh, but respectable and 3 Trygons, Swarmlord and 15 stealers in your face will give the 2 shooting units things to do. Warriors add a little synapse where needed. 6 Stealers can come on from reserve at the end to hold the homefield objectives. The Hoppies give the soft bits cover saves (along with the Swarmlord) and can take down HtH Deathstars with the help of preferred enemy from the Lord.

With 190pts left I'd like another MC threat to go along with the others, but a lone Tyrant doesn't look to good. 6 Raveners with claws is 210pts and we need to find 20pts. I really like a Mawloc in a list like this because it forces the enemy to think twice about castling up in the middle of the table and can make them disperse a little. However in reality it doesn't seem to do much. Maybe at 2500pts it can.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby n00bzilla99 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:48 am

Fred, not a bad list, I think Tervigons should have made it into your list, they are fantastic.

My list would be a bit different:

Swarmlord w/2 Guard

3 Hive Guard
3 Hive Guard
3 Zonethropes with Mycetic Spore (In case they need it)

18 Hormagaunts w/Glands
18 Termagaunts
16 Genestealers w/Talons
5 Warriors w/Deathspitters
Tervigon

Trygon
Tyrannofex w/Rupture Cannon + Spray Cannon
Tyrannofex w/Rupture Cannon + Spray Cannon

This gives you a lot of anti-tank to deal with all of the mech guard that will be at 'Ard Boyz, and also has a lot of high T wounds. There are 5 Creatures with 6 T6 wounds, which taking all of those off is no easy task.

I like the Tyrannofex in a Tyranid List which involves ranged shooting, because his Str 10 AP 4 cannon sure aint bad against tanks. The other Hellhound template can pick out a soft infantry target while his big cannon goes after tanks.

Tervigon's are absolutely awesome. The Tervigon can spit out more of those Gants for scoring units, and buff any of the nearby units. I think that as a troops choice this makes him even better.

I chose to leave 6 Ymgarl Genestealers out because of the Random nature of them, they simply aren't worth the randomness in my opinion, and a lot of it comes down to luck and planning. And at 6 Stealers, they aren't a punch packing unit.

I threw in 2 units of 3 Hive Guard to deal with all of those low armor tanks you'll see, so have at the rhinos and razorbacks and chimeras with the 6 BS 4 Str 8 cannons that don't give out cover (Except for smoke), and which should wreck 2 transports a turn. The Zoans are a squad of 3 and can walk across the board if you see a lot of armor staring you down (AV14 specifically) and Turn 2 will just be too late, but if you see an Opportunity to use the Zoans in a pod, it will be there for you with the spore included.

Hormagaunts are fantastic with Glands, they strike at Str 4 and I6!!! And with 3 Attacks on the Charge (I think), 18 of these bad boys added up to 54 attacks, which reroll ones.

Never take stealers without talons for rerolling ones in Combat, this makes them near unstoppable with rending claws as well. I brought the warriors for a little more synapse web.

I like the Trygon for it's pop up ability, especially after turn 2 (held in reserve), it shakes up the game, your opponent has to deal with it quickly or it will cause a lot of mayhem.

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Thu May 06, 2010 9:29 am

I think the Raveners are a must, as they can grab things at range. I keep them near the swarmlord, when they are ready to barrel into something I give them furious charge from the swarmlord, and you essentially have fiends. Fiends with no Invul save, but they do have WS5 plus the ability to reroll 1's on the to hit roll.

Without the swarmlord, the unit lacks a little punch, but are still good, its the power claws Im afraid of as 1 or 2 wounds from klaws put 3-6 wounds on my unit of ravenors.
Norbu the Destroyer

Return to Army Lists (40K)