Daemons List 1K>1500>1850>2000

Post and review Warhammer 40K army lists.

Daemons List 1K>1500>1850>2000

Postby EldarCorsair » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:15 am

So figured I'd start a Daemons army from scratch. This army is a amalgamation of Stelek's "Competitive Daemons", my own thoughts on the dex, and other Daemon opponents I've faced. As always, comments/critiques are welcome...

HQ
Herald Of Slaanesh - Chariot, Soporific Musk, Unholy Might - 90

Elites
6x Fiends of Slaanesh (1x Unholy Might) - 190
6x Fiends of Slaanesh - 180

Troops
5x Plaguebearers - 75
5x Plaguebearers - 75
5x Plaguebearers - 75
5x Plaguebearers - 75

FA
5x Flesh Hounds - 75
5x Flesh Hounds - 75

HQ
Herald Of Tzeentch - Chariot, We Are Legion, Master of Sorcery, Bolt O' Tzeentch - 110
Herald Of Tzeentch - Chariot, We Are Legion, Master of Sorcery, Bolt O' Tzeentch - 110

Elites
3x Flamers Of Tzeentch - 105

Troops
5x Plaguebearers - 75
5x Plaguebearers - 75
5x Plaguebearers - 75
5x Plaguebearers - 75

FA
10x Flesh Hounds - 150
10x Flesh Hounds - 150

HQ

Elites

Troops
5x Plaguebearers - 75
5x Plaguebearers - 75
5x Plaguebearers - 75
5x Plaguebearers - 75
10x Bloodletters - 160
10x Bloodletters - 160

FA
10x Flesh Hounds - 150
10x Flesh Hounds - 150

HS
Daemon Prince - Mark O' Nurgle, Noxious Touch, Daemonic Gaze - 140

HQ

Elites

Troops
5x Plaguebearers - 75
5x Plaguebearers - 75
5x Plaguebearers - 75
5x Plaguebearers - 75
10x Bloodletters - 160
10x Bloodletters - 160

FA
10x Flesh Hounds - 150
10x Flesh Hounds - 150

HS
EldarCorsair

Postby Redbeard » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:47 am

First, let's get this out of the way. Stelek's got a very warped way of looking at the game - one that he proclaims as the one true way, but that has actually won very little.

Like all Stelek lists, you're focusing on one thing (in this case, beasts) to the exclusion of just about anything else. What do you do when your opponent notices this and puts objectives (and troops) on the upper floors of buildings? Sit on the ground wishing you hadn't left everyone else at home?

Second, I don't get a lot of your choices.

Slaanesh chariots are not bad for the points, but khorne chariots are much better. More tzeentch chariots might be useful too. With almost everything else being assault-oriented, having enough shots to open enemy transports would be nice. Otherwise, you're going to spend the game assaulting 35 point rhinos, and watching as the other player hits your T4/5+ models with flamers and small arms fire.

Your troops contribute little to the game. I guess that's another of Stelek's hallmarks. I think horrors work better - at least they can take bolt potshots at transports. If daemons are on, your troops are generally coming down in later waves anyway and your opponent won't be worrying too much about them unless you've already lost the game.

Why fleshhounds instead of seekers, who have rending and grenades?
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby EldarCorsair » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:05 pm

Redbeard wrote:First, let's get this out of the way. Stelek's got a very warped way of looking at the game - one that he proclaims as the one true way, but that has actually won very little.

I agree but I think a lot of his theories are good. They've worked well for my Orks so far...

Slaanesh chariots are not bad for the points, but khorne chariots are much better. More tzeentch chariots might be useful too. With almost everything else being assault-oriented, having enough shots to open enemy transports would be nice. Otherwise, you're going to spend the game assaulting 35 point rhinos, and watching as the other player hits your T4/5+ models with flamers and small arms fire.

I've thought about Khorne chariots but they lack any real threat range being Infantry and lacking Fleet. My initial impression was that Slaanesh is better as a CC-oriented HQ choice because they are cheap, have Fleet, and with their high Ini are able to H&R if things get dicey....

Your troops contribute little to the game. I guess that's another of Stelek's hallmarks. I think horrors work better - at least they can take bolt potshots at transports. If daemons are on, your troops are generally coming down in later waves anyway and your opponent won't be worrying too much about them unless you've already lost the game.

I'm not convinced Horrors are a better choice then PBs. From my experience, they die in droves and @ BS3 only hit about 1/2 the time. PBs are used to babysit objectives and with their low cost & FNP will do this better than any other Daemons Troop.

Why fleshhounds instead of seekers, who have rending and grenades?

Real world price mostly. Seekers are simply too expensive IMHO. For 10 Seekers, I'd be dropping at least $100, while I can get 10 Warhounds for $20
EldarCorsair

Postby Redbeard » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:09 pm

EldarCorsair wrote:I've thought about Khorne chariots but they lack any real threat range being Infantry and lacking Fleet. My initial impression was that Slaanesh is better as a CC-oriented HQ choice because they are cheap, have Fleet, and with their high Ini are able to H&R if things get dicey....

Their threat range is just fine, especially if you have other things going on on. While they may be infantry, they hit much harder than the slaanesh chariot.

I'm not convinced Horrors are a better choice then PBs. From my experience, they die in droves and @ BS3 only hit about 1/2 the time. PBs are used to babysit objectives and with their low cost & FNP will do this better than any other Daemons Troop.

A unit of 5 PBs doesn't actually take all that much to kill off. There are still only 5 wounds, even if they're high toughness/FNP. And other than sitting there, they're not helping you.

I'm not saying they're bad, but four units of them, and nothing else, is not the best way to approach it. One unit of 10 PBs can often hold two objectives.

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby moonshadow13 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:16 pm

i actually think the PBs are hard to kill giving them staying power. Ask Depayen. i hate his 10 man squads of those BECAUSE THEY JUST DONT DIE!!! I shoot the crap out of them and still they are there. I hit them with 62 attacks and due to their high toughness and FNP they still survive.

a 5 man squad of those is just enough to be annoying. As you have to deadicate a full unit to kill them and if your lucky you might wipe them in 1 round. <shakes his fist> Curse your Feel no pain!!!

I hate flammers even more. those dangum things are evil.

Horrors on the other hand do have alot of shots but die like wheat. I do hate their AP4 shots though :P don't I Alex :)
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Postby VirusSD1 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:04 pm

I actually agree with Alex a little shooting could do you some good (Even if demons don't have the best shooting). Switching up a few units to add horrors (or flamers) will give you some reach while your assault units close.

Concerning beasts/cavalry as a focal point they work regardless of terrain/mission. Even if you happen to play on a table with ruins and play an objective based game you will be placing half of the objectives. As long as you can plan to contest the ones up high (which shouldn't be that hard with those plaguebearers) you should be fine.

I think you could also take Pavane of Slannesh on the Chariots to help with the multi level buildings problem. You'd be able to have the ability to pull enemy troops off objectives or closer to charge range.
VirusSD1

Postby EldarCorsair » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:19 am

The problem with taking Pavane on the Slaaneshi Chariots is that, if I fire it, A) I won't be able to utilize Fleet and B) only being D6", there's a possibility I might not be pulling the unit down far enough and then leaving the SC open to a charge next turn.

I hear what everyone is saying though and I'm thinking of dividing the Hounds into 3 units of 5, dropping UM from the Fiends, and replacing the points with DPs of Tzeentch with BoT, Master of Sorcery, and Daemonic Gaze (or Breath Of Chaos). Thoughts?
EldarCorsair

Postby Redbeard » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:51 am

I think you would be better served to diversify.

Why not run one khorne chariot and one slaanesh chariot (or even the masque). The slaanesh chariot can pavane things for other units to charge, afterall.

Same with daemon princes. Having two with bolts and one with pavane makes you more versatile. The pavane prince helps you against non-meched lists, while the bolt princes add support against meched up opponents.

Same with the troop choices. Running some horrors, for firepower and bolts, and some plaguers for survivability and camping, gives you a more rounded force.

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby joshb » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:59 am

Your Daemon Princes are on the cheap end for Daemon heavy support, but what are they supposed to be doing?

They're too expensive to be used as a shooting weapon with daemonic gaze.

They're moving 6" and are going to want to run and not shoot to get close to the enemy.

They're tough, but without Iron Hide they can still be brought down without too much trouble. Especially if they're shooting at enemies and not getting into assault.

They're monstrous creatures and can penetrate vehicles and kill enemies in close combat but yours don't have grenades so the bad guys get their extra attacks when they charge you and you go last if you charge them in cover.

I think it's more important to take advantage of a daemon prince's high initiative, instead of trying to take advantage of its high ballistic skill. Especially if you're marking them as Nurgle Daemons.
joshb

Return to Army Lists (40K)