1,000pts. of ork shooting

Post and review Warhammer 40K army lists.

1,000pts. of ork shooting

Postby orkyandy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:14 pm

so, after playing speed freeks/evil sunz for a long time, and seeing the upgrade to ork shooting in the new(ish) book, i've decided to make a shooting ork army! here it is!

Ork Kaptin Grimdakka's shooty lads
990pts.

HQ----85pts.

Big Mek "Grimdakka"
Kustom Force Field
total=85 points

ELITES-----225pts.

15 Lootas
total=225

TROOPS:-----260

20 Shoota boyz
2 big shootas
total=130

20 Shoota boyz
2 big shootas
total=130

FAST ATTACK----175pts.

5 Deffkoptas
twin linked big shootas
total=175pts.

HEAVY SUPPORT-----245pts.

3 Killa Kans
3 grotzookas
total=135pts.

Battlewagon
4 big shootas
total=110pts.

so yeah, got 10 points leftover, and i consider dropping a deffkopta to make them all have TL rokkits. yay for outflank side shots on tanks! I'll probably use a list somewhat similar in the next tournament i go to depending on how it does :) any suggestions here are great! thanks!
"Gobbos fer dinner! Gobbos fer tea! Gobbos when you want 'em! Gobbos for me!
-Ruglud's Battle-cry
orkyandy

Postby LongFang » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:44 pm

My biggest concern is that the list seems a bit light on the Troops choice. Orks aren't known for having great armor saves, but are known to die quickly to concentrated fire.

I've been playing quite a few 500 point games, and I've got 30 models in my list as troops (5 nobz, 25 boyz) and on annihilation missions, it's ok, but on capture and control/objective based it's a bit more difficult. The big mob of boyz gets shot up real quick, and I can't commit my other troops to support as I need them to hold an objective. The nobz are a waste if they're not in CC, but they can at least capture the enemy's objective, being a troops choice thanks to the warboss.

in 1k, I would definitely have more than 2 choices and 40 boyz. You do have a lot of dakka (which is awesome), but if you can't capture objectives, best you can hope for is a draw. Have to figure that one of those troops will need to be held back to hold an objective on your side...

As for the Big Mek, granted the Kustom Force Field gives a 5+ cover save, that's not ggreat odds for keeping the lads alive. Battlewagon will help get em across too, but instead of 4 big shootas, consider a deff rolla for the same points - especially considering the lack of anti-tank firepower in the list. With the new erratta on deff rollas and ramming, it'll hurt. Or, exchange the grotzookas on the kans for big shootas, and then you can add 3 big shootas onto the battlewagon.

You might also want to think about dropping 2 koptas, adding in gretchin. 1 mob of 10 to hold your rear objective so both units of boyz can gets fightin, and 1 mob of 10 to screen the boyz as they march up. It may only be 1 round of shooting that the screen holds, but if the grots are blown away, the boyz are ok, and if the boyz are shot at through the grots...4+ cover. Either way, the boyz are better off, you have more troops choices for objective based missions and you're not losing that much by dropping the koptas.

If you do drop the 2 koptas, that's 80 points total (including the 10 extra you have) and that's perfect for 2 mobs of grots.
LongFang

Postby orkyandy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:31 am

that's a good call on the troops capping objectives :D i considered having the 'kans screen the boys the best they can. the only other thing is popping tanks, orks don't seem to have a lot in that sense, so the deffrolla seems alright, but, i was going to have the lootas in it (spose i prolly shooda mentioned that XD) protected lootas seemed neat when i wrote it up. I'll definitely look into the grots, they seem pretty amazing now that i look into them, thanks for the input!
"Gobbos fer dinner! Gobbos fer tea! Gobbos when you want 'em! Gobbos for me!
-Ruglud's Battle-cry
orkyandy

Postby EldarCorsair » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:48 am

orkyandy wrote:that's a good call on the troops capping objectives :D i considered having the 'kans screen the boys the best they can. the only other thing is popping tanks, orks don't seem to have a lot in that sense, so the deffrolla seems alright, but, i was going to have the lootas in it (spose i prolly shooda mentioned that XD) protected lootas seemed neat when i wrote it up. I'll definitely look into the grots, they seem pretty amazing now that i look into them, thanks for the input!

So you'd essentially have a 110pt castle for the Lootas?? Not the best choice with a BW...

I'll agree with most of LongFang's points...however, here's what I'd do:

-Either put the KFF BM with the Kanz or the Lootas. So long as he's attached to the unit, he can't be targeted and Kanz with a 4+ cover save are ridiculously evil! You could put him on the Lootas but I think he'd be wasted. Proper placement of Lootas (as far from your opponent's DZ and on the edge of area terrain) usually does the exact same thing. Total cost: 0pts.
-I'd drop all the DKs. You don't have any support for them if they get stuck in early on and, with Ork's low Ini, don't count on H&R to get them out of assaults. If you insist on including DKs, drop 1 or 2, add Buzzsaws, and attempt the proverbial "Scout move Turboboost>1st turn Assault vs. enemy vehicles" tactic.
-BW is good but is a waste of pts if you use it to protect your Lootas (again, proper placement = 0pts). If you throw a Mob of Boyz in it, that's ok but again you have nothing to support them when they charge ahead, get stuck in, and then lose, while 80% of your force is still footslogging across the table.
-Personally, I think your Shootaboyz mobs should include Nobz. I know they're not popular in these but, when you get down to 10 or less models, a Bosspole REALLY comes in handy, esp. in Objective games.
-With the leftover pts above, I'd spend it a couple ways - either buy another Kanz mob and another Shootaboyz mob, or load up on Shootaboyz and Grots.
EldarCorsair

Return to Army Lists (40K)