40k championships

AdeptiCon 2012 will be held April 19th - 22nd, 2012 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL. Visit the AdeptiCon website (http://www.adepticon.org) and start planning today!

40k championships

Postby khornelord0129 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Is there a possibility that there will be added slots for the championship on friday. For an event that draws close to 5k in people and the field being 70% 40k players and to only have 240 slots available isnt proportionate. A person like myself that cant afford adeptican til mid november seems not unfair but SOL in a way. Thats why i wish this event to be larger around 500-600 people is possible. Run one half of field on thursday and the other on friday and have the finals on sunday like normal. I dont want to come off like a sore loser but it just seems, well unfair.
khornelord0129

Postby Lordgoober » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:38 pm

I'm not one of the official guys in charge of the 40k but I believe they've got the brackets set up in a way that they've hit the highest level of participation they can with the 8 games that are played (4 day 1 then 4 for those who get into day 2), any more tickets would force them to add a 9th game which there realistically is no time nor space for.
Lordgoober

Postby khornelord0129 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:56 am

Im not asking for a ninth game. Im asking for another day which would e
Be a seperate tourney. Just cut and paste as u would say.
khornelord0129

Postby preusser07 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:23 am

I think they have already talked about this plenty of times already. They Don't have the space! they are at there limits at this venue, and this is a large venue. About having a separate day for more 40k champs... The tables don't magically set themselves up 5 mins before the match on Friday. I'm only guessing, but i bet it takes a big part of Thursday to get everything set up. And having the real opening day be Thursday would not be cool for most people, 3 Day weekends are hard to get for most people let alone a 4 day weekend. And the event Organizers look tired as heck already on Sunday evening, lets not work them to the bone.
preusser07

Re: 40k championships

Postby old coast » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:43 am

khornelord0129 wrote:Is there a possibility that there will be added slots for the championship on friday. For an event that draws close to 5k in people and the field being 70% 40k players and to only have 240 slots available isnt proportionate. A person like myself that cant afford adeptican til mid november seems not unfair but SOL in a way. Thats why i wish this event to be larger around 500-600 people is possible. Run one half of field on thursday and the other on friday and have the finals on sunday like normal. I dont want to come off like a sore loser but it just seems, well unfair.

Just to clear up your radical misconceptions, Adepticon in 2010 drew 1500 people, a bit shy of 5K, I'd say. The total number of Slots purchased for 40K Events in 2010 was 700 so 47% of total attendees . of that 47% there is significant overlap between players in the Team, Champs, Gladiator and Combat Patrol...the real number of 40K player in reflection to total attendance probably 33-40%. (not 70%) its impossible to tell exactly how many without knowing how many people play in multiple events.

but regardless there are proportionately MORE 40k Slots than number of players attending in relation to other events. which is totally appropriate because Adepticon was built on 40K. It has however expanded to over a dozen other systems and manufactures.

You can confirm these statistics by going to the past coverage section on the Adepticon main page at www.adepticon.org

Having said that I hope they increase the space for all events but it will require a larger venue or an increase in the length of the convention.
the hotel is already completely sold out and its been 1 week.
Last edited by old coast on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old coast

Postby nilus » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:34 pm

khornelord0129 wrote:Im not asking for a ninth game. Im asking for another day which would e
Be a seperate tourney. Just cut and paste as u would say.

The problem is that would mean all the other 40K events that are done on those tables would be cancelled. Lots of 40K players don't come to play in the championship
Dan
Malifaux Henchman
nilus

Postby RichN » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:50 pm

I think the OP is proposing a new Championship style event for Thursday - rather an increase in the size of the current Championship. As pointed out, staffing and the need to set up the hall is the limitation in making that sort of event happen.

I find it a bit odd that the Gladiator still has tickets available. Is that sort of event unfashionable now? I remember when it was nearly as popular as the Championship.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby Matthias » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:25 pm

oldcoast's numbers are correct. We don't draw anywhere near 5000 people. There are so many factors that go into adding even 10 tables to an existing event, let alone adding an entirely new event.

Events requires time, space, staff and terrain.

The weekend is jammed packed already. There simply isn't any additional time or hotel space to run events in. We cannot get the ballrooms all day Thursday per our hotel contract, nor am I convinced that a Thursday event would have the same draw as a Friday event. The Westin already does us a huge favor by opening up what them can early for us (outside our contract). It takes a good 12 hours to get everything setup.

AdeptiCon has already produced well over 150 tables of quality 40K terrain. That alone has been a 2-3 year process. We are always scrambling to find enough staff to run these larger events and asking staff to come a day earlier is just not something we can do and expect to keep our volunteers.

Last year we had 256 people in the 40K Championships with 50 more on a waitlist. We recognized the need for more 40K on Friday, so we rearranged what we could, squeezed in a few more tables in the newly reclaimed space and added a 40-person alternative event. Additionally there are 40 more Killzone tickets...so overall we are now offering 336 40K tickets on Friday night...and honestly that is the maximum number we can accommodate based on space, staff and terrain.

I realize the demand this year is greater than last, and I know it sucks for some people that missed out during the registration bloodbath, but I am not sure how it is unfair to anyone. I am very strict when it comes to protocols/fairness during the registration/waitlist process.
Real battles are fought in 6mm!
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby khornelord0129 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:28 pm

Thank you for the insight mathias. I guess in a nut shell im just bummed that i wont be able to go to adepticon since every event that i wanted to participate in sold out in 96 hours.
khornelord0129

Postby BigKahuna » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:31 am

I would still get on the wait list of I were you. Last year I missed on the Team Tournament registration and went on the wait list. My team's number came up 2.5 weeks prior to the event and we had a blast!

Big Kahuna
BigKahuna

Postby nilus » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:49 am

Plus there are still chance for open play, the vendor area(which is not big but Forge World is there), demos of new games, seminars, classes.

Heck the swag bag alone is worth more then the badge price for the con.

If I were you I would get put on the waitlist and plan to still come down.
Dan
Malifaux Henchman
nilus

Postby sabote » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:41 am

RichN wrote:I think the OP is proposing a new Championship style event for Thursday - rather an increase in the size of the current Championship. As pointed out, staffing and the need to set up the hall is the limitation in making that sort of event happen.

I find it a bit odd that the Gladiator still has tickets available. Is that sort of event unfashionable now? I remember when it was nearly as popular as the Championship.

I doubt its the fact that it is less fashionable but more the fact it has been pushed back in priority because of the emphasis now of the 40k Championships and the Team game(which has always been the main event).
sabote

Postby nilus » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:06 pm

Off topic a bit but am I the only one that when they hear the term unfashionable always picture a skinny chain smoking euro trash designer criticizing the event.

"You play in Gladiator, Honey that is so 2009" :)
Dan
Malifaux Henchman
nilus

Postby muwhe » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:19 pm

Gladiator is still my favorite event at AdeptiCon and it's only better with the 500 pt side bar.

Unfortunately, we only have so many days to schedule events until AdeptiCon becomes a week long celebration of the wargaming hobby. :D
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Postby Courtjester17 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:42 pm

What's wrong with a week of fun. I was always taught that 7 is greater the 4. Lets just start on Monday and run through Sunday. You know you guys can do it Hank just have to get you some extra redbull.
Courtjester17

Next

Return to AdeptiCon 2012