Base Sizes

AdeptiCon 2012 will be held April 19th - 22nd, 2012 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL. Visit the AdeptiCon website (http://www.adepticon.org) and start planning today!

Base Sizes

Postby Loopy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:08 pm

I plan on bringing my Deathwing army to Adepticon. My Deathwing army is entirely old, metal Terminators on 25mm bases. This army is fully painted and based. Do I have to re-base my Terminators onto 40mm bases?

I did read the rules here so I am assuming that the rule in the 40k main rulebook regarding bases is in effect and that not only may I bring these models as they are on 25mm bases, but I must. If not, please let me know.

Thanks for your time.
Loopy

Postby Loopy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:53 pm

Is this the proper venue to ask this question or should I send an email to someone? If I need to send an email, to whom should I send it?

Thank you.
Loopy

Postby RichN » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:24 am

Not sure why a 40K judge has not come a long. Try emailing info@adepticon.org . Matt will be able to get your question to the correct people.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby seahawk » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:21 pm

Weelllll...according to the BRB they are properly based. Officially they are fine to use...it's down to house-ruling now ;)
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby muwhe » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:26 pm

Best to send the question via the contact us page:

http://www.adepticon.org/?page_id=5

or info@adepticon.org

to ensure it gets routed to the right team.

Additionally, if you have not already look over the 2012 AdeptiCon Model Policy.

http://www.adepticon.org/12rules/2012modelpolicy.pdf
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Postby Loopy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:51 am

Yeah, I did read it. Inconclusive. I know the 40k rules say to use the bases the model came with (in this case, these Terminators came with 25mm bases) but I have heard that some tournaments disqualify you even if they don't post the requirements beforehand.

I sent an email to that address a couple of days ago. We'll see what happens.
Loopy

Postby nilus » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:03 pm

I know in Warmachine and Malifaux you have to use the base assigned to the model by the most recent rule revision. But both those games relies heavily on base size to determine LOS and cover(the every model is really just a big cylinder rule) where I believe 40K still uses the old if I can see your model I can shoot you rule, so it may not matter as much.
Dan
Malifaux Henchman
nilus

Postby seahawk » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:37 pm

It's a disadvantage to play on smaller bases anyway. In the movement phase, they can't disembark as far as big bases and can't spread out to cover more area as fast or as effectively. In the shooting phase they can't spread out as much as so get hit by templates easier. In the assault phase, they can't, once again, spread out as much to deny attacks or other such cunning things the big bases can.

My chunky metal terminators have been on 25mm bases since 1998. I'm not changing them now, especially since the rulebook agrees with me ;)
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Turtle » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:10 pm

there are advantages too, such as if a vehicle they are in explodes (6) you can fit more into the footprint of the vehicle, this is especially useful if the vehicle is totally surrounded.

In the movement phase they can hide behind terrain more effectively since they have a smaller footprint.

In the shooting phase more of them can get closer to an enemy unit so you can unleash rapid fire weapons more easily

in the assault phase they can base contact single models, such as independent characters more easily (2-3 models on a single guy, as opposed to just one (typically))

don't forget 2 sides to every coin it has advantages and disadvantages.
"Here have a beer, Marines play better with beer: Rhysk
Turtle

Postby Loopy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:10 pm

The biggest benefit, I think, is deepstrike footprint.

But I don't deepstrike because I hate super-random things in 40k that are either really really good or totally bone you on a single dice roll.
Loopy

Postby seahawk » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:05 pm

True enough. Still, I'm always surprised when people get worked up over it in games I've seen.
seahawk

Postby Loopy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:47 pm

I think it may have gone to the 4th circuit court of appeals. :)
Loopy

Postby Loopy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:53 pm

:(
Loopy

Postby Loopy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:53 pm

Answer received: yes and it will be added to the official modeling rules.
Loopy

Postby Blackmoor » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:19 am

Loopy wrote:Answer received: yes and it will be added to the official modeling rules.

Really that was a pretty easy question to answer.

My question is what bases do the Eldar Jetbike belong on?

They started out with the hexagonal base, then went to the small flight stand and then they ended up with the large flight stand.

So by the rules, any of those are acceptable, but my jetbikes are mounted on the oval bases that come with the new bikes. Are they legal?

Blackmoor

Next

Return to AdeptiCon 2012