Question about combat squads reserve and new FAQ

AdeptiCon 2011 will be held April 1st - 3rd, 2011 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL. Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) and start planning today!

Question about combat squads reserve and new FAQ

Postby GregSwanson » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:17 am

Just a question to those who do the INAT FAQ. If I take Khan and have a full bike squad and they outflank can they combat squad when they deploy from reserve? I have seen it argued both ways on the internet. Some people say that a squad can never combat squad when they are in reserve. Others say since it happens at deployment they deploy when they come onto the table. Just they cannot be combat squaded in reserve there will be only one reserve roll. But they can still split when they come on.
I really dont care one way or another I just want to know how it will be ruled so I can build my army appropriately
Thanks
Greg
Last edited by GregSwanson on Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That crazy fireman!
I am not smart but I can lift heavy things!
In the grim darkness of the future, there is only war. There are not massive army costume parties and campy parade floats. - xNickBaranx
GregSwanson

Postby The Black Knight » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:37 pm

I may be wrong since I don't have a codex in front of me, but I thought the SM codex had a reference to the only way to combat squad from reserves was arriving in a drop pod... but, perhaps that's also where they make the during deployment comment as well. My .02 would be that by placing them in reserves, that is the deployment, and they arrive as a full squad.... if you have a larger squad that you want to combat squad, I guess they'd have to go on the table.... then again, in a mission deployment like DOW, where they just roll on 1st turn and can't all be deployed to start the game, it handcuffs you. But, I've been wrong before.
The Black Knight always triumphs.
The Black Knight

Re: Question about combat squads reserve and new FAQ

Postby sabote » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:16 am

GregSwanson wrote:Just a question to those who do the INAT FAQ. If I take Khan and have a full bike squad and they outflank can they combat squad when they deploy form reserve? I have seen it argued both ways on the internet. Some people say that a squad can never combat squad when they are in reserve. Others say since it happens at deployment they deploy when they come onto the table. Just they cannot be combat squaded in reserve there will be only one reserve roll.
I really dont care one way or another I just want to know how it will be ruled so I can build my army appropriately
Thanks
Greg

Yes I really dont care either way myself but it would be nice to know.

Though the military person in me always considered deployment the section where you place your units on the table and decided what was in reserve and outflank at which point you combat squaded. That would be how your order of battle or deployment would work in RL. But hey game rules for gamers I guess.
sabote

Postby sabote » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:27 am

Not sure if this helps or not. But I am playing the Indy UK GT in Nothingham in March. So was hoping to get an answer on this question also. I guess a new FAQ will be out soon (whenever that is). But the reply from the rules committe was the following.

Post subject: Re: Combat Squad/ New FaQ
New postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:34 pm
Site Admin

Hey there mate, we are already ALL over this for the FAQ.

What we are going with, and this is after actually chatting to the guy who wrote the new GW FAQ last Friday evening so we know his intention, is that you only decide to combat squad when a unit is deployed on the board.

The GT FAQ now reads:

Q. 65. When do squads count as being deployed for the purposes of deciding whether or not to split units into combat squads?
Players must declare if a unit is splitting into combat squads when it does one of the following:
1. When it is deployed on the board during set up.
2. When it moves onto the board on turn 1 in the Dawn of War scenario.
3. When you successfully roll to bring it on the board from reserves, deepstriking or outflanking.
4. When it disembarks from a Drop Pod.
Please remember that in cases 1,2 & 3, as per the official GW FAQ’s, you may not be split into a combat squad and have both squads inside the same transport.

Hope that answers your question.
sabote

Postby jon.wolf » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:19 pm

Deployment happens when models hit the table; units in Reserve are explicitly not deployed.

Khan and his boys can Outflank and split into combat squads when they are deployed (enter play from Reserves).

The writing on that particular FAQ answer was extremely bad, but the rules are not changed by it.
Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene
jon.wolf

Postby n00bzilla99 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:49 pm

jon.wolf wrote:Deployment happens when models hit the table; units in Reserve are explicitly not deployed.

Khan and his boys can Outflank and split into combat squads when they are deployed (enter play from Reserves).

The writing on that particular FAQ answer was extremely bad, but the rules are not changed by it.

This. Although the FAQ confused the hell out of me, I generally got the idea after re-reading the codex and noticed that nothing changed really.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby yakface » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:12 am

The question about outflanking vs. combat squads does need to be added to the INAT. It isn't something that is going to happen before Adepticon so ultimately it will be up to the judge's discretion who gets called over if there is a dispute between players.

We have ruled that combat squadding occurs when the unit deploys, which in the case of arriving from Reserves is right before the unit moves onto the table (including via Deep Strike). So a unit with the combat squad special rule could move on from Reserves onto their table edge without having to be in coherency with each other (one could move on the extreme left side of the player's table edge, which the other could move on form the extreme right side, for example).

The one area that's still a bit ambiguous, unfortunately, is when outflanking whether you make one roll to determine which board edge each combat squad arrives from.

However, as we have ruled that you don't combat squad until right when the unit is going to hit the table, I think its pretty clear that only one roll is made to see which flank the unit (before it splits) arrives on.

You may wonder: If I roll a 5 or 6 does that mean one combat squad can arrive on one flank while the other arrives on the opposite side?

Based on the wording for Outflanking, I think the answer is a firm no, as it says that a roll of 5 or 6 means: "the player can choose left or right".

So since you make that roll before splitting the unit, you have to choose left or right for the unit to deploy from...then the unit splits into combat squads and is deployed (moves on) the table.
yakface

Return to AdeptiCon 2011