No more FW units?

AdeptiCon 2011 will be held April 1st - 3rd, 2011 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL. Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) and start planning today!

No more FW units?

Postby Oni » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:32 pm

Reading over the championship rules there no FW units allowed? Why?

I'd picked up some of the Tau XV-9 suits to build a list around and with upcoming changes to the rules I can't use that list.

If I'm reading things correctly in Team Tourney only one apoc level model can be taken, general FW units are out? If there's a single model restriction in place why even bother with allowing for that FW model at all?

Feeling pretty let down by not having FW stuff as an option.
Oni

Postby Matthias » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:22 pm

Forge World units haven't never been allowed in the 40K Championships in a few years.

The rules regarding Forge World in the 2011 40K Championships are the same as 2010 & 2009.

The Gladiator rules are almost ready for draft release - Forge World is still allowed in this event.
Last edited by Matthias on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real battles are fought in 6mm!
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby Matthias » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:26 pm

The updated unit rules for Forge World in the Team Tournament are forthcoming, but basically, only one Team Member is allowed to field an Imperial Armour/Apocalypse unit. The allowable list of units is more or less the same as last year, although it will be updated to include new units/books.

There should be a Dev Blog article up soon detailing the changes to the Team Tournament. In the meantime you can take a look at the feedback and comments from 2010 here.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby muwhe » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:38 pm

Oni,

Well Matt must be slipping in his old age.: D We removed Forgeworld units from the Championship format a couple years back. So it has been a number of years since FW units were allowed. That said folks are free to use FW models as standard codex units within reason in all events.

As Matt pointed out for the Team Tourney, one person can still field a FW selection similar to previous years. What was allowable to be fielded really hasn't changed it is just now subject to a Force Org chart restriction. So the flavor of Forgeworld units are still in the Team Tourney but this restriction reigns back in some of the excessive FW unit spam that was at least from a perception aspect problematic to the enjoyment of the event for all attendees.
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Postby Matthias » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:54 pm

True, true. 2008 was the last year they were allowed in the 40K Championships in some limited fashion.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby Oni » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:11 am

I haven't played on the circuit for quite a while, I guess I can see some potential issues where it might be a problem to allow FW.

Was kinda hoping to take new models for a spin as they look great, but if FW isn't an option there's no way in heck I'd play the old codex battlesuits in the current ed, power creep is sucky. I could stay home and have more fun banging my head against the wall. Oh well.

My other option is templars and they don't have a hot codex either.
Oni

Postby moonshadow13 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:34 pm

yes, i have the forge world styled dreadnaughts with a nurgle look and those were acceptable as i play them as codex dreds with a nurgle look. Basic fun stuff like that.

Now here is a question: Can 1 player using the forge world model for the team do it in as a squad? Say the squard can have 1 to 3, so can they use the 1 unit rule or in this case 1 squad rule and field up to 3 then in the 1 unit?
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Return to AdeptiCon 2011