Lord of the Rings & KIllzone Draft Rules!

AdeptiCon 2011 will be held April 1st - 3rd, 2011 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL. Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) and start planning today!

Lord of the Rings & KIllzone Draft Rules!

Postby Matthias » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:15 pm

'It needs but one foe to breed a war, and those who have not swords can still die upon them.'

We hope everyone had an safe and enjoyable Labor Day weekend. While most of us spent time relaxing with friends and families, our allies were hard at work putting the finishing touches on the next set of draft rules for AdeptiCon 2011.

From the Great Gate of Minas Tirith to the icy wastes of Forochel, Lord of the Rings returns to AdeptiCon for a fifth year of war and conflict in Middle-earth:

Lord of the Rings Championships [DRAFT]
Lord of the Rings Team Tournament [DRAFT]

Today also saw the release of the beta ruleset for Special Operations: Killzone over at Galaxy in Flames. Special Operations: Killzone is a set of fan-designed rules created with the intent of enabling players to run skirmish games within the Warhammer 40,000 universe and will be a featured event at AdeptiCon 2011. Additional information regarding Killzone at AdeptiCon can be found in this previous post on the AdeptiCon Development Blog.

Killzone Rules [BETA]
Killzone Errata
Killzone Scenarios

The Special Operations: Killzone Rules Committee is also looking for playtesters and feedback. Head over to the Special Operation: Killzone Forums to participate.

As always, please keep in mind these are still in draft/beta form. There may be some changes to the versions that will be in use at AdeptiCon 2011. Additionally, new codices, books and official FAQ documents in the months leading up to the event could require changes to the preceding rules.
Real battles are fought in 6mm!
Matthias
Techpriest

Killzone Points?

Postby hams » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:35 am

Has a points limit for Killzone been decided or at least is there a front-runner?

thanks,
kevin
hams

Postby Matthias » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:26 am

The current Killzone description reads:

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war –and that war has many faces: Epic battalions wage endless conflict throughout entire star systems; grand heroes set themselves on a stage no smaller than the galaxy itself; mighty Titans stride the continents of virus-ravaged worlds.

But there are times when the universe turns on a much smaller stage.

The blade in the dark… the forlorn last stand of a motivated, desperate few… the efficient business behind the closed doors of a darkened strategium...the hushed footfalls of a stealth team –stifled, fleeting protests the only trace of its presence...

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst uncounted billions, but there are moments when the quiet actions of just one man can recalibrate the mechanism of the entire merciless universe.

This is the story of those deeds.

Special Operations: Killzone is a narrative-rich dynamic grounded in Warhammer 40K’s Kill Teams variation (although a Beta-ruleset is currently available on Galaxy in Flames, a finalized version of the Special Operations: Killzone addendum to 40K will be on offer for free download well in advance of the event).

Each participant will bring one Special Operations Team of 250 points of any standard 40K race - with 25 of those points allotted for Special Operations wargear and abilities. That team will engage is a bitter series of missions across the entire breadth of four custom-made tables for this event. Don’t miss out and the subtle beauty of Special Operations: Killzone at AdeptiCon.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby hams » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:58 am

Matthias,

thanks. by "abilities" you mean the Specialized Team Member stuff?

kevin

[quote="Matthias"]
Each participant will bring one Special Operations Team of 250 points of any standard 40K race - with 25 of those points allotted for Special Operations wargear and abilities. That team will engage is a bitter series of missions across the entire breadth of four custom-made tables for this event. Don’t miss out and the subtle beauty of Special Operations: Killzone at AdeptiCon.[/quote]
hams

Postby Matthias » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:40 pm

I believe so - I will direct the event organizer this way to answer the question succinctly.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby b. smoove » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:09 pm

Hello Matt. Hello Hams.
Thanks for your question.

Yes. We've been testing 250 points, with 25 of those allotted specifically for Killzone "specialized skills and abilities" outside the normal upgrades and whatnot that you would find in your army's codex. Although I mispoke earlier, I wanted to note that "specialized wargear" has its own outline of restrictions from the Killzone booklet and does not count toward the 25 points alotted only for "skills and abilities". Sorry for the confusion.

Please feel free to email me directly if you have any other questions. I'd be happy to help to the best of my ability.
Cheers,
Brian
Last edited by b. smoove on Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b. smoove

Postby Huoshini » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:40 pm

will this replace the Combat patrol tournies?
G.R.A.M.P.A
AdeptusBrewCityJoe wrote:Yeah I guess you are right.

"When you're in the garage, Bring out the damn dinosaurs!" -Phil Kelly

Lord Sportsman: Adepticon 2010
Huoshini

Postby Matthias » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:18 pm

Nope. There will be Killzone events and three Combat Patrol events over the weekend.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby Huoshini » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:21 pm

Excellent!

Also going to try out these killzone rules over the weekend. I shall report my findings. Glory to Tzeentch
G.R.A.M.P.A

Huoshini

Postby Huoshini » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:18 am

So I tried out the killzone rules and I find that the games go WWWAAAYYYY to fast.

We played it again and giving each model 3 wounds as a standard worked well and made the game last a little bit longer. I suggest trying it
G.R.A.M.P.A

Huoshini

Postby Equinox » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:24 pm

Will there be awards, best painted, best sportsman & overall, for Killzone or is it just a casual type of event?
Equinox

Postby JonnyP » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:38 pm

Me and my buddy Bryan are signed up for the Friday night Kill Team.

Multiplayer small games like this are always a blast. Literally! :D
JonnyP

Teaming up

Postby SuTech » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:44 am

We tried some multiplayer killzone type games at our club. Got some comments about folks basically creating "teams" during or planning to work together during the game. It is inevitable that people may make gentlemen agreements during the game. "if you shoot that squad, I'll run up and get that guy".

The problem is when a couple folks come to the game with lists meant to balance each other. They usually end up owning the board and then deciding who get's first etc... What is going to be done to even the playing field and discourage that sort of thing? We tried doing some things like instituting a 2" rule. If you are in 2" of an enemy model they must fire all weapons and engage in close combat. Otherwise we literally had players intermixing their models.
SuTech

Postby b. smoove » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:56 am

Cheers for the feedback fellas. We're really pleased that you are out there giving this a shot. Please keep an eye on Big Jim's site as KZ remains in a Beta format and, while fundamentally solid, will be refined in the coming weeks and months.

With regard to timing, I agree. The game is designed to go reasonably quickly (250 points is 250 points no matter how you slice it). We estimate the average game takes a bit less than an hour. Still I would also suggest that you use an almost uncomfortably large amount of terrain to keep the initial "chessmatch" turns appropriately dynamic. The Missions recommend 50% terrain on the table, but I encourage much more.

With regard to "teams" and "power combinations," I also agree. These might potentially dominate during games when suitably motivated individuals use them. Here are two things that will be relevant for the way this is run at AdeptiCon:

One, there is absolutely no guarantee that you will be placed next to your mate with the balancing force on the day. We have 24 spots across four tables for each of the three sessions, so the chances are greater that you will be situated "against" your friend than you will be in a position to work in unison. Moreover, each session will include at least four games with one on each of the four tables, which further limits the possibility that two players will be able to unite and dominate. In playtesting, we've found that unbalanced forces struggle in any but the single "ideal" environment. Given the above, the chances of finding that ideal scenario are deliberately improbable.

Two, while one could never eliminate "ad hoc" allegiances on the day (and recognize that to some extent such allegiances should be encouraged), we are considering ways to mitigate the negative implications of this. One might, for example, encourage a certain level of coordination, but also undermine the potential for those relationships to evolve beyond the level of paper thin, ala "paranoia." We are, in this vein, working on a series of secondary objectives for each mission that might help keep any allegiance tenuous and easily sabotaged.

Again, I'd like to thank you for your insight and analysis. This is tremendously valuable to us as we work out the final details, and these are just some initial thoughts. Please feel free to email me directly if you have some more questions or specific concerns. I'm happy to help where I may.
Cheers,
B.
b. smoove

Postby b. smoove » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:00 am

@ Equinox. Thanks for asking. There will be a series of awards on the day, but we are working on ways to keep these awards outside standard parameters. More on that soon.
b. smoove

Next

Return to AdeptiCon 2011