2011 40K Team Tournament Rules Draft

AdeptiCon 2011 will be held April 1st - 3rd, 2011 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL. Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) and start planning today!

2011 40K Team Tournament Rules Draft

Postby Matthias » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:25 am

Here are the AdeptiCon 2011 Warhammer 40K Team Tournament draft rules. Please keep in mind this is still a draft, and while it has been through countless revisions and proofing, it most likely is not the absolute final version. Additionally, new codices and/or official FAQ documents in the months leading up to the event could require changes to the following rules.

We are currently looking for feedback, most particularly in the realm of clarity. You can post questions/comments/concerns here or contact us through the AdeptiCon website.

AdeptiCon 2011 Warhammer 40K Team Tournament [DRAFT]
Real battles are fought in 6mm!
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby YeezyMozart » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:15 am

I probably know the ruling already just want to clarify.

Only one IA unit for all 4000 pts of the team may be taken even if it is a dedicated transport and does not take a force slot. There can only be one?

Curious to the reasoning behind this ruling?
YeezyMozart

Postby Matthias » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:35 am

Yes.

There are a number of reasons this change was made:

1. IA units like the Hades Breaching Drill, Lucius Pattern Droppod, etc. are a definite issue. The ability to spam those units had a counterproductive effect on the direction of the event.

2. IA units heavily favor Imperial Teams. By allowing unrestricted access to IA Units it even further unbalances what many see as unbalanced in the first place. By restricting the choice to one, you pull it somewhat back in line.

3. IA unit rules are unfamiliar to a large portion of the player base (and possibly even the judges at times). Last year we had the possibility of 440 or more IA units on the table, this year we have limited that in order to make the event less arcane.

4. Access to FW Models (at least locally) is more difficult in years past.

5. This solution is somewhere in the middle. We had many calls for removal of IA altogether, as well as those that stated they enjoyed the inclusion of these units. Our initial thought was to remove IA units entirely, but at the same time we wanted to recognize the historical importance of these units in the event.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby YeezyMozart » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:42 pm

Command Counters system question regarding death company.

In the circumstances of team tourney with the counter system one can make a unit scoring with a counter. However, in the angels codex it states that death company can never be scoring.

Would the counter system apply to death company in terms of becoming scoring units?
YeezyMozart

Postby Matthias » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:32 pm

Without a Blood Angels codex in front of me to read the exact text, My first thought is that the codex would override the Command Counter special rule.

If a unit specifically says in the codex it can never count as a scoring unit, that would take precedence over the CC rules.

But let me look at that closer.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:26 pm

I like the new rules. I especially like the incentive to play non-identical armies across the board. You'll still get them, but they won't be the boost to scores as they were in the past.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby muwhe » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:45 pm

Glad you like them Fred :D

Changes for the most part for all 3 40K events are positive moves in the right direction with I am sure a few tweaks left to make.

A lot of time and effort has been put in by these event staffs to take a good hard look at these events over the past 6 months.
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Postby Matthias » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:52 pm

Thanks Fred. I think the intentions were there the past few years, but at least the regulatory part of my brain might have gone into overdrive.

No one complained about the single-codex/multi-codex thing, but looking back at the armies and rules from the 2009 and the 2010 events, I could definitely say that it was creating teams that were outside the intended vision of the event or at least were incredibly limiting. Chris bathes in Black Library books and was pretty instrumental in helping pull everything into a unified front that worked with the existing TT framework and vocabulary.

Might still see some tweaks in regards to Theme and stuff, but I think it definitely is an improvement.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby sabote » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:40 pm

Well I am pretty sure I got this straight but it did take a couple times reading it through.

So.

If I took Khan. Than all my bikes on all 4 teams would count as troops. But only on the table that Khan is actually on can the army outflank. Is this correct?

Or in the same thought.

Logan - all wolfguard counts as troops for all 4 teams. But all his other stuff would only count on the table he is on?

While I am not for or against it. I unlike some others, actually liked seeing 4 team members with the same armies and abilities instead of the mish mash at times. I really felt like I was doing battle with a chapter or craftworld.
sabote

Postby Matthias » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:43 pm

@sabote - Yes you have it correct. Special characters that unlocked force org selections affect all 4 Team Members. Any special abilities or wargear that character possesses only impact the game he is currently involved in. Same as it has been for the past 2 years.

You will still see plenty of single codex teams. There is a pretty decent benefit for fielding one. Having the Brothers in Arms rule apply to all 4 armies affords you guaranteed interaction with abilities and characters that a mixed team cannot count on. Definitely still a benefit.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby Brian » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:08 pm

B-Rad wrote:Command Counters system question regarding death company.

In the circumstances of team tourney with the counter system one can make a unit scoring with a counter. However, in the angels codex it states that death company can never be scoring.

Would the counter system apply to death company in terms of becoming scoring units?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's possible that the old "a unit carrying a command counter counts as a scoring unit" mission rule will not appear at all in the tournament.

For the record though, when I wrote the command counter rule I intended for the counter to override special rules that make units non-scoring (except for swarms which can never have one.)
Brian

Postby Ed » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:33 pm

Is there a precedent that necessitated the Negative Sportsman = Disqualified rule? I'm only mildly curious, so no need to respond if it will summon a drama daemon. ;)

Ed
Ed

Postby Matthias » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:03 pm

Na - no precedent. There is a little background about the system over on the Dev Blog.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby LordSeverus » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:23 pm

Why the change so that every team member must use a different force org? Why change it from what its always been (each member may use a floater, but multiple members can not utilise a floater if you want)
LordSeverus

Postby fyrblckdragon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:32 pm

If you notice, the floaters are built in, but it is possible to not use them.
fyrblckdragon

Next

Return to AdeptiCon 2011