2011 40K Championships Rules Draft

AdeptiCon 2011 will be held April 1st - 3rd, 2011 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL. Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) and start planning today!

2011 40K Championships Rules Draft

Postby Matthias » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:11 am

As promised, here is the AdeptiCon 2011 Warhammer 40K Championships rules draft. Please keep in mind this is still a draft, and while it has been through countless revisions and proofing, it most likely is not the absolute final version. Additionally, new codices and/or official FAQ documents in the months leading up to the event could require changes to the following rules.

We are currently looking for feedback, most particularly in the realm of clarity. You can post questions/comments/concerns here or contact us through the AdeptiCon website.

AdeptiCon 2011 Warhammer 40K Championships [DRAFT]

Part 2 of Putting the Champion Back in Championships should be up on the AdeptiCon 2011 Development Blog later this afternoon.

The 40K Team Tournament rules are almost done. We originally had planned to release them at the same time, but it is looking more like Monday at this point.
Real battles are fought in 6mm!
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby n00bzilla99 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:27 am

Matt, I really like the way the objectives are added in, as well as how sportmanship will be figured out, I hope this is for the TT as well.

Fantastic job, I really hope to see what you have in store for the TT.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby Matthias » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:30 am

The Sportsmanship system will be basically identical - just reworded to deal with Coalitions instead of individual players.

The Team Tournament will still retain the PST/Battle Points system and land more on the thematic/'overall' side of the hobby.

That said we received tons of really useful feedback and have made a number of changes to the TT format and missions as well.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby YeezyMozart » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:42 am

So I just have a few comments and questions?

I think changing the format to wins/draw/losses is great in order for the staff to keep everything moving faster and it would be easier for them to have a 240 person tourney under that method. However, I think this could be a dangerous change.

In our old format using the battle points system and assigning a primary and secondary etc.... we had a very well balanced system. No armies were really favored by the rules. One mission will be primary kill points and another objectives therefore everything balanced itself out in the long run.

I would caution that the council should try to make the missions as fair as possible for the vast spectrum of army lists and I am sure you guys are already aware of this but it is easy to overlook the missions now that all missions are worth the same you guys have to do the balancing more on your own which might be hard. Interested to see what comes out of this.

Why did the council decide to nominate the 16 on strict battle scores and not all encompassing scores?

The rules say that if you win all your games your in. What if more then 16 people win all 4 of their games? And what if a great number won the same number of overall objectives? What's the tie breaker after objectives?

Games 1,2, and 3 are the deciding games and game 4 is a tie breaker game? I am not sure if I have that correct?

But if I do and someone has a bad game 1 but wins games 2,3 and 4, would they still have a shot if game 4 is the one that got them over or are the results tallied at the end of game 3 and 4 is a strict tie breaker.
YeezyMozart

Postby Matthias » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:55 am

Running the math - 240 players means at MOST 15 players will go undefeated at the end of day on Friday. Most likely it will be less with possibility of draws. So, anyone who goes undefeated will qualify. The remaining of the 16 slots are awarded as wildcards - most likely to people with a 3-0-1 record.

Under the Qualification section it says after Total Objectives achieved, you use Strength of Schedule to break ties.

Of course mission balance design will be paramount. NO different then writing missions for the PST system. Many will argue that including a certain type of objective as a Primary is unfair in certain missions against certain armies. This is simply a flattened, equally-weight PST system. You make the decisions about what objectives are easiest for you to obtain/hold based on the deployment zones, your opponent, objective placement, etc.

We ran a sort of pre-primer down at Capital City Games last weekend and have many more planned in the near the future.

All games count equally towards your W/L/D record. In game #4, to break a Strength of Schedule tie, you will move to raw VPs to determine who moves on to Sunday (which trust me, will not happen).

To have a chance to advance you will most likely have to win 3 and draw 1. The order is not important.

Friday is a complete 4-round event all onto itself. 4 Best Showings are awarded on Friday night and are basically the same as Best Overall was in the 3 round event.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby RealGenius » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:30 pm

I think there's a bad choice of words under the section on the quiz.

Rules Knowledge is optional

Maybe "Taking the quiz is optional..." I think you should encourage everyone to know the rules. :D
RealGenius

Postby Matthias » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:37 pm

Ha. I was editing that section this morning thinking I was in the TT document, must have accidentally deleted something. Fixed.

Good catch!
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby RealGenius » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:23 pm

So how is "Costly Unit" determined for a Wolf Guard squad that have completely joined other squads? It would be the most expensive unit on my roster, but on the board it would be spread across several units.

If that big WG squad doesn't count, will WG joining a squad count towards the cost of that squad for "Costly Unit"?
RealGenius

Postby Matthias » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:58 pm

@RG: This is basically covered in the GW Space Wolves FAQ:

This also applies to the calculation of kill points and victory points – the Wolf Guard who have been split off from their original Wolf Guard unit count as part of their assigned unit in all respects.

So while it is a bit more bookkeeping, something most Space Wolves players already have to do in regards to KP and VP, the Most Costly Unit objective would adhere to the same principal.

The value of an attached Wolf Guard would be added to the units they are joining and the remaining Wolf Guard would form a single unit with a value equal to the remaining models.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby Huoshini » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:27 am

I wil say that I really enjoyed the old design of the 40k championship. The "primary,secondary, tertiary" objectives thru some spice into my games.

But I will go on to say that I like this streamlined system as far as bookkeeping goes.

*speaks in third person* "LORD SPORTSMAN LOOKS FORWARD TO THIS!"
G.R.A.M.P.A
AdeptusBrewCityJoe wrote:Yeah I guess you are right.

"When you're in the garage, Bring out the damn dinosaurs!" -Phil Kelly

Lord Sportsman: Adepticon 2010
Huoshini

Postby Ed » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:58 am

This is very intriguing. I guess it now means that you can build lists that anchor as either KP or Objective focused lists while trying to claim the unknown third objective (unfortunately it's almost always mobility related).
Ed

Postby YeezyMozart » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:15 am

Yea this changes my list quite a bit because it changes the requirement for a win. I have been reading the Nova and thats how they did it seemed like it worked well so I am all for it just have to playtest games now more often.
YeezyMozart

Postby Matthias » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:39 am

@Ed - The initial mission designs all include 3 objectives (with some objectives being achievable by both players). 1 usually KP or VP based (mainly KP I suspect). 1 is usually objective markers or table quarter based.

The 3rd objective will be the crucial one. Killing commanders, expensive units, hold the center, secondary objectives and objectives of that nature, while they require movement to get into position to go after these objectives, not all will be mobility based.

Additionally, not all objective marker objectives will be mobility based. Some might require you to hold objectives on your half of the table, at which point you can attempt to deny that objective from your opponent based on firepower.

Finally, not all missions will be the same. Not all missions will necessarily include standard KPs and all that.

One thing I can say with certainty: the objectives that required you to destroy a certain type of selection (Kill All Troops) will not be included.

@B-Rad - actually this is not how the NOVA did missions at all. The only similarity is that we are moving to a W/L/D format...and the NOVA did not allow draws. The NOVA was based on a successive series of objectives to break ties, each one ending the game. The NOVA did not use KPs. The NOVA forced you to calculate VPs every game, sometime multiple times, to win objectives and break ties. The NOVA basically used the AdeptiCon PST format and changed the victory conditions/scoring. We are using the AdeptiCon P/S/T system and changing the victory conditions and scoring.

I've had a number of conversations with Mike about tournament design and I can tell you with out a doubt there are a number of philosophical differences.

The draft rules are nothing more than our old classic PST missions set flattened out and brought in line with accordance to 5th edition. You will find these rules/missions much more '5th edition' than the NOVAs. The 'most' objectives win is slightly adapted from the Epic GT Mission.

I am looking at dates to run some primers at the Bunker this Fall. Most likely 16-man 4 round events (hope to do at least 2). I'll post the dates as soon as I have them locked down.

Some thoughts over the past 8+ months regarding the Championship can be found on the Dev Blog.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby muwhe » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:00 pm

It is also important to remember that Friday is still at the core a 4 game “Championship” with a full award slate. Sunday is really an event within an event for the 16 players that qualify. Sunday has a slate of other events planned and we are still exploring event format options to provide all sorts of gaming overload.

So if you really just want to play in 1 day events and take a sample of everything over the weekend that path is still very much available to you.

AdeptiCon has consistently evolved over the years, this is a step towards the future of getting the time and schedule space we need to accommodate everything we want to pack into the weekend.
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:36 pm

I like it. I particularly like the Loyalist-Xenos-Heretical award catagories. Good job with the rules boys
Generalissimo_Fred

Next

Return to AdeptiCon 2011