Adepticon 2011 Changes

AdeptiCon 2011 will be held April 1st - 3rd, 2011 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL. Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) and start planning today!

Postby jon.wolf » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:50 pm

muwhe wrote:At least until Adepticon 2020 ... 10,000 atttendees .. 5 days .. :shock:

Sounds fantastic to me.
Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene
jon.wolf

Postby Matthias » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:51 pm

Beta versions of both the 40K Championships and 40K Team Tournament rules will be posted to the adepticon.org site by the end of this month.

There are some significant changes to both events, so I would hold off on any major purchases for a couple of weeks!
Real battles are fought in 6mm!
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby sabote » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:44 pm

Interesting...

I dont disagree with what you are doing but it will be interesting to see how this works out in the end. Luckily you guys have practice at running these type of events.

So I am guessing that I will probably have to buy a ticket to play championship Friday, Team Saturday and Gladiator/Combat Patrol for sunday(back up in case I get trounced on Friday) because that is the only way this could work. Unless I am supremely confident in my ability to play on Sunday champions tourney I need to have a fall back plan for Sunday(assuming I am coming for all the days). However if I make the champions sunday pairings than I get refunded for Gladiator/Combat Patrol. Hopefully the refunds go without a hitch otherwise there will be quite the blood letting over the internet. Hence a good reason to keep the number low for the champions on Sunday(less refunds)

But essentially the old days of doing it all seems to be over. Correct?

Well you guys have the staff to figure this out. Good luck. I will be flying in from switerland looking for some good 40k no matter how you skin the cat.
sabote

Postby muwhe » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:17 pm

Sabote,

I think you can still do it all. While I love the 40K team tourney, and the championship.... the Gladiator is my favorite event of the weekend. So in my case ( if I could play .. *grumble* ) Even if I qualifed for Sunday. My preference would be for the Gladiator. :shock:

AdeptiCon went through a similar stage several years ago prior to expanding to a full Friday format. This year seems very similar scope wise to those transition years as we grew.

I think with the day between and the slots available. Sorting out folks for Sunday will be pretty smooth.

Course a full 4 day format... opens up all sorts of options :D But I'm a have your cake and eat it to sort of guy.
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Postby RealGenius » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:41 pm

Are there going to be any changes to the painting contest?
RealGenius

Postby Matthias » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:55 pm

RealGenius wrote:Are there going to be any changes to the painting contest?

Possibly, but this falls more to Chris Borer and Dave Pauwels. If you have some suggestions, I am sure they would love to hear them.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby RealGenius » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:16 pm

I can't find the rules from last year, so I don't remember all of them. But the judges at WarGamesCon made two changes this year that seemed to make things much easier on them:

No models can be used for gaming
    No "open" or "army" categories

Having entries dedicated for the painting contest meant that the judges had plenty of time during the normal gaming day to do judging and the lack of army/open meant that all of the entries were easy to compare.

I would have loved to see a diorama/duel category, because those are some of the greatest pieces, and it would make up for some of the models that didn't have a home when the "open" category was eliminated.
RealGenius

Postby Matthias » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:33 pm

@sabote:

You are correct. We will encourage people that want a guaranteed spot in something on Sunday to purchase a ticket in advance. 16 people will advance to the finals on Sunday and all of them will have their Sunday event tickets refund (in cash) onsite either Friday night of Sunday morning. Logistically this is an easy one for us! Friday's event will basically be an event all onto itself, so getting in 3 solid events will not change.

The old ways in terms of the schedule - yes for now. The Championships was at 240 people with another 59 on the waitlist last year and two 3-round events just didn't give the event the respect that is due. In essence we are just flipping Friday and Sunday in some regards.

Looking forward to seeing you there!
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby Phytrion » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:38 pm

I registered on here to give my two cents (although it is doubtful my unique circumstances will change your plans): this is the first year I'll be able to go to Adepticon, and I'm a little disappointed to hear that the 40k Championships will be on Friday rather than Sunday like they were last year. As a teacher, I cannot get out of work on Friday in time to drive the 7 1/2 hours to compete in that event (I only have sick days). So I'd ask if travel considerations have been brought up, and if the Friday start time are set in stone.

Thanks!

Tim
Phytrion

Postby muwhe » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:44 pm

Tim,

I understand the concern and that for some travel is definitely an issue. We certainly don't want to make changes lightly. Moving the "Championship" to Friday has been a topic of discussion for a number of years. Last year was just the tipping point.

I am confident that there will be a number of 40K options on Sunday to suit a variety of schedules and tastes.
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Postby jon.wolf » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Phytrion wrote:I registered on here to give my two cents (although it is doubtful my unique circumstances will change your plans): this is the first year I'll be able to go to Adepticon, and I'm a little disappointed to hear that the 40k Championships will be on Friday rather than Sunday like they were last year. As a teacher, I cannot get out of work on Friday in time to drive the 7 1/2 hours to compete in that event (I only have sick days). So I'd ask if travel considerations have been brought up, and if the Friday start time are set in stone.

Thanks!

Tim

You're looking a little green around the gills. I think you'll need to take a couple of sick days in about 6 months to deal with that bug, Tim. Fortykayitis isn't something to take lightly.
Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene
jon.wolf

Postby Phytrion » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:59 pm

jon.wolf wrote:You're looking a little green around the gills. I think you'll need to take a couple of sick days in about 6 months to deal with that bug, Tim. Fortykayitis isn't something to take lightly.

Oh if I could I would be *cough* *cough* sick. But, my district has the day before spring break (that Friday) as a black out day, so I can't even take a sick day. Oh well, I'm sure there will be plenty going on Saturday and Sunday!
Phytrion

Postby Marius Xerxes » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:54 pm

Phytrion wrote:
jon.wolf wrote:You're looking a little green around the gills. I think you'll need to take a couple of sick days in about 6 months to deal with that bug, Tim. Fortykayitis isn't something to take lightly.

Oh if I could I would be *cough* *cough* sick. But, my district has the day before spring break (that Friday) as a black out day, so I can't even take a sick day. Oh well, I'm sure there will be plenty going on Saturday and Sunday!

You job requires more of the evil that is a modern Union.

I laugh at those who try and tell me I can't take my earned time off when I want to!
Standing in the light, I see only darkness.

"The ambition of Caesar and of Napoleon pales before that which could not rest until it had seized the minds of men and controlled even their unborn thoughts." - The King in Yellow.
Marius Xerxes

Postby Huoshini » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:29 am

I make my own schedule now, thankfully! :P
G.R.A.M.P.A
AdeptusBrewCityJoe wrote:Yeah I guess you are right.

"When you're in the garage, Bring out the damn dinosaurs!" -Phil Kelly

Lord Sportsman: Adepticon 2010
Huoshini

Previous

Return to AdeptiCon 2011