Adepticon 2011 Teaam Tourney

AdeptiCon 2011 will be held April 1st - 3rd, 2011 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL. Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) and start planning today!

Adepticon 2011 Teaam Tourney

Postby YeezyMozart » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:22 pm

I was just wondering if any team out there knows that they will all (4) be doing Tyranids for the team tourney at adepticon 2011?
YeezyMozart

Postby Ed » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:44 am

That seems like a recipe for disaster, honestly. No invuln saves, and each codex comes out with more and more units that have no problem wounding T6. Carnifexes became way too expensive. Hive Guard and Gargoyles are awesome for their points though, so maybe something can happen with them.

But we still probably have one or two more codexes coming out before April, and I don't think either of them will improve the 'Nids odds at tournaments.
Ed

Postby YeezyMozart » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:37 am

Okay Ed now if there where any all tyranid teams that my team can group up with and work together on one thematic display you have single handedly discouraged them thank you very much. :lol:
YeezyMozart

Postby Ed » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:34 am

Dude we'll run all 'Nids for you as long as when you guys win Overall we can be somewhere in the background of the picture. And in focus. Except for Tyler, whose face must be blurred out like some kind of Lovecraftian horror.

:D

Ed
Ed

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:07 pm

The strength of the TT armies are troops and HQ's. Armies that ecxel in those two spots generally do well in the TT. Alas Bugs excel in the EL slot and that's a problem in regular games.

The Tervigon is a good TR choice. I don't like the unit, for purely asthetic reasons, so you could base a TT list around the Tervigons and be effective.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby YeezyMozart » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:42 pm

Totally agree with you fred I think the fundamentals of team tourney are easy to grasp but draws play such a big part in the whole picture. Its very difficult to have all parts of the coalition to be equally prepared for all comers.

Opinion based question for everyone team tourney based.

What is the best mix for a team in terms of winning over all or just winning any prize? What I am trying to say is it better to be a single codex list team, a hybrid list team, or a heretical team? In terms of winning a prize Shooting for overall of course whats more a sure thing assuming you put the work in equally all around.

I know there are no sure things. :cry:
YeezyMozart

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:51 pm

If you want to win any prize, aim for the ones that you think fewer people are going for. Soft scores count for quite a bit, assuming you play well enough not to get knocked out of the running.

The year my team won Headhunters, we were playing all Witchhunters. Two of us ran assassins, for going after their heads. Two of us ran flying nuns with 2+ invul saves, to protect our own heads, and the other two of us ran Inquisitors that could hide in the back and not get killed unless we were tabled.

From a theme and painting perspective, doing something different is better. If I had a dime for every team we judged last year with the theme: Logan Grimnar called a crusade, and Njal, Ragnar and Canis all showed up for it, I'd be able to afford a candy par at the bunker's vending machine.

Likewise, when considering the race-based prizes, think about what's being run. Just doing the math ahead of time least year, you knew guard and wolves would be popular. And, I think they accounted for 60% of the armies present. Taking that under consideration, Best Imperial is going to be a much harder category to win than Best Xenos or Heretical. There are probably less Hybrid teams than anything else, and when you discount those with poor theme scores due to the "our theme was that the four of us met yesterday and wanted to play" or "we're friends and these are our armies", if you come up with a strong hybrid theme that plays decently, you've got good odds of taking that one.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:56 am

Redbeard has some good advice for winning the side catagories. Going for overall champ means you should be good at everything, but you must dominate the battle points. You have to beat people to get overall. This can be accomplished with a mixed race team, but most players will judge your soft scores harsh. Usually 4 lists, as identical as you can get, is your best bet. Then all 4 players need to playtest, playtest, playtest, playtest, playtest, playtest, playtest, playtests, playtest, playtest, playtest, playtest, over and over again against the most powerful and most likely combinations you can think of. The idea behind the playtests will be for you to beat the army you are bringing, not to beat the playtest army. Your opponent will know their army better than you know yours so you must play from their perspective to beat your army.

The last time I played we playtested our Slaanesh army a lot against the armies we thought were the toughest. Nob Bikers, Daemons, and Horde Orks. This was pre-IG codex. We got to be very good against all three armies and had sound tactics to beat them. In fact we ran into Nob Bikers and my half tabled them on turn 3.

I would say to win overall you need 4 players who are very good tabletop players who can win best general at almost any event they enter. If you dominate the Battle Point section, everything esle will fall into place.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Chubs » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:51 am

Sorry man, I got to second my teammate and others.

The nid damage causing units as simply easy to mitigate. No invul + no eternal warrior = purple paste. Don’t get me wrong, I think nids can be dead hard in a single player game.
They do have the unique option for taking baby makers, but flesh borer gaunts are basically bubble wrap for the MC. Throw in a Trygon and hive guard and you got a decent army . 6 MC with 6W T6. – but probably aren’t going to table army which is what you need it to do.
* Deamons are just better for causing Hand – to – hand carnage
*shooting is pretty much dominated by many other armies.
Mobility is fairly even, however the Nids also have the option to Deep strike on Turn 2+. Perhaps that’s a better army to design (taking a page from the previous drop pod armies of 3rd). Focus on late turn table grabbing. Because GW FAQ the Prime can’t join (LAME GW!) a unit prior to deep striking, a Flyrant is a deep striking option. The rub though, just like Pod, is Kill points. All be it your pods are MC, they are damn easy to kil.

My thoughts.
The handsome face of 2T1C
Chubs

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:21 pm

The trick for Nids in the TT would be Tervigon horde. Each coalition could have a big unit of Termigaunts and a Tervigon as troops. Then 3 Hive Guard and a Tyranofex as EL and HV. Finally another Tervigon as a HQ. This gives each team the following units.

4 Tervigons
2 Tyranofex's
6 Hive Guard
50-60 Termingaunts

This combination could produce an upteen number of gaunts who will swarm tough HtH units with Poison and Furious Charge. I think each coalition would come to 905-955pts depending on how many crushing claws you throw on the Tervigons. Play with the lists. You can add more Termingaunts or reduce the initial numbers to throw in a random unit. A lone Lictor, a some Ravenors, a few stealers, etc...

I don't think 6 MC's and 6 Hive Guard would be impotent against an armored IG force. I also don't think 8 Bloodcrushers would be able to run through 40-50 Poisoned Gaunts.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Dragi » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:33 pm

Can a team for the team tourney take 4 special characters from the SM codex? I mean like Vulkan, Shrike, Lysander, and Tigurius.
"By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!" -

King Elessar
Dragi

Postby Matthias » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:03 am

By the 2010 rules, each Team Member can field one Special Character if you were a Single-codex Team.

If your team was Mixed-Codex then the entire Team could only field one Special Character in total.
Real battles are fought in 6mm!
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby Dragi » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:30 am

Okay thank you for clearing that up for me.
"By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!" -

King Elessar
Dragi

Postby Dragi » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:40 pm

Okay, I have another question about that. Can 3 players take one codex and the 4th take it's own. Like Salamanders, Imperial Fists, Ultramarines, and Black Templars?

King Elessar
Dragi

Postby Arander » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:16 pm

Dragi wrote:Okay, I have another question about that. Can 3 players take one codex and the 4th take it's own. Like Salamanders, Imperial Fists, Ultramarines, and Black Templars?

Totally legal, but then you're into a Hybrid team, and not a single codex team. Which means 1 Special/Unique character allowed for the whole team.
Arander

Next

Return to AdeptiCon 2011