Anything I should know...

AdeptiCon 2010 will be held March 26th-28th, 2010 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL. Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) and start planning today!

Anything I should know...

Postby Hero Jones » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:23 am

about when my team and I come up on Friday? Any tips on how to make this a smooth gaming experience? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!

HJ
Hero Jones

Postby Zero_Cool » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:18 am

A few suggestions:

Watch the registration table for a slow time. If you are not in any of the events on friday, try to wait to check in until after the events start. That way you can avoid a line to check in. Best time to do this should be 12:00 to 4:00 friday. If you are all coming in together, sign-in together so that everyone is taken care of at the same time.

Be ready to have a good time. There is a huge amount of gaming and gaming related activities going on throughout the weekend, but they are only as much fun as you make them. Positve attitude and a desire to have fun will go a long way for your enjoyment. Take control of your own fun.

Try to get some good sleep. Adepticon can be a long and mentaly draining weekend, especially if you are playing in more than one event. Getting some rest will help greatly with the suggestion above.

Be open to try new things. There are lots of demos and seminars to take part in. If you have the time try some of these.

As for gaming, make sure you have the basics (rule book, codex, dice, tape measure, markers, etc) for your games and make extra copies of any army lists you will be playing ahead of time. When you get there, after you check in, take a quick inventory of your miniatures. Better to find out you forgot something or a miniature needs repair the day before an event than on the morning of.

That should be a good start. Hope that helps.
Chris
Zero_Cool

Postby artificer » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:29 pm

pre-game ablutions are always appreciated.

It was customary for my team to buy beer for the opposition if we gave them a serious drubbing (a trend I'd like to see grow, especially since we can't compete this year) {almost certainly helped our sportsmanship scores as well *HINT*}

Have fun. It's just a game.

Oh, and have your army lists printed... nothing worse than being handed a piece of lined paper with what appears to be a 4yr olds handwriting, with accompanying eraser marks, cross-outs, and weird line-drift. Totally illegible. Printed lists with point totals (ala Army Builder) are most appreciated. If you're using AB, make sure you double check, their calculations are frequently... inaccurate.
Only the Dead Have Seen The End Of War
- Plato

'07 TT - No More Kicking
'08 TT - Casus Belli
'09 TT - Cede Malis
'10 Paint Judging and Terrain Monkey
artificer

Re: Anything I should know...

Postby Inquisitor_Malice » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:09 pm

Hero Jones wrote:about when my team and I come up on Friday? Any tips on how to make this a smooth gaming experience? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!

HJ

If you are in the 40K Team Tournament, look to pick-up your registration packet on Friday night. They are handing them out early this year.
- Greg
Inquisitor_Malice

Top Things to do at Adepticon

Postby Rhysk » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:25 am

1.) Have fun, it is a GAMING convention it is about playing games which are supposed to be fun.

2.) Try to meet new people. Some of my better friends have come from Adepticon. Which were met at the convention. My best way to meet new people...buy someone a drink when they aren't expecting it, it goes a long way to making conversation.

3.) Visit the vendor booth, there is some crazy cool stuff at the convention and sometimes wicked cool deals

4.) Sleep is a good thing, get it when you can. It is slightly embarrassing to be a grumpy slouch on Sunday cause you have been drinking and partying for 50+ hours with very little sleep. I have found a mild sedative (Unisom) is a good idea for getting sleep. I often have such an adrenaline rush I feel I can run for 50+ hours with no sleep, I can't and you probably can't either.

5.) Think about volunteering next year. Adepticon's moniker is "For Gamers by Gamers" The convention runs on volunteer hours, donating some is a great thing to do.

6.) Finally, if you have a good time remember to tell your friends for next year.
Rhysk

Postby Archon » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:29 am

All the above suggestions are great! My 2 cents would be to bring Doans Back-Pain Relievers and cough drops. Your going to be leaning over a gaming table and shouting quite a bit.

Also, I has to be said that when your going to be spending 3 days in a room with 1000 other people, go above and beyond your usual hygene habits.

Have fun.
I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harm's way.

-John Paul Jones
Archon

Postby n00bzilla99 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:32 am

Archon wrote:Also, I has to be said that when your going to be spending 3 days in a room with 1000 other people, go above and beyond your usual hygene habits.

I would like to say that the last year I attended, my guest thought that we were all pretty well groomed, except for one guy with really greasy hair. Regardless, this is quoted for truth.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby Janthkin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:23 pm

Archon wrote:All the above suggestions are great! My 2 cents would be to bring Doans Back-Pain Relievers and cough drops. Your going to be leaning over a gaming table and shouting quite a bit.

I'd add "Dr. Scholl's Insoles" to your list of necessaries. They are a HUGE help.
Janthkin

Postby moonshadow13 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:28 pm

Not to be mean but last year i had some "less than appropiate hygene" opponents last year for the team tournament. They played orks so i didnt know if it was part of their team sceme or they just didn't feel like showering. However, i was able to wash my hands afterward so all was good :/.

Yes, i ahve my comfy shoes ready :).
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Return to AdeptiCon 2010