Team Tournament Quiz?

AdeptiCon 2010 will be held March 26th-28th, 2010 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL. Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) and start planning today!

Team Tournament Quiz?

Postby Hero Jones » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:40 pm

How does this Quiz work? What types of questions are there and whatnot? Thanks!!!

HJ
Hero Jones

Postby Elthniar » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:53 am

It's an assortment of questions from all of the current Codices. The questions can be rules, points costs, fluff, etc. Basically anything is fair game if it is in a Codex or the BRB.
Elthniar

Postby n00bzilla99 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:08 pm

I would say that the two years I have been at adepticon, these questions are usually insanely difficult, and would come to a person only out of extreme knowledge of EVERY codex.

I think the top score last year was a 5/10. Out of 90 teams and 360 people? My goodness this thing is tough!
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby jdubb » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:20 pm

Is it open book?
jdubb

Postby Elthniar » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:27 pm

jdubb wrote:Is it open book?

Nope.
Elthniar

Postby jdubb » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:34 pm

Is it open Laptop?

J/K
jdubb

Postby Elthniar » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:49 pm

jdubb wrote:Is it open Laptop?

J/K

Haha, if you are really worried about the quiz and want to do well I would suggest each team member take three Codices and study them to the point of memorization. If you know a Codex from front to back, including all the fluff, rules, and points values, then you should do fine, if there is a question on the Codex. This quiz is seriously hard, I think most teams only get 2 or 3 questions right out of 10.
Elthniar

Postby muwhe » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:03 pm

It is threads like this that make me .. :D
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Postby Hero Jones » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:05 pm

muwhe wrote:It is threads like this that make me .. :D

Lol! Why's that?

HJ
Hero Jones

Postby moonshadow13 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:57 pm

Well, to make things intersting i have been reading 6 diferent codexes everyday for the last year while on the 1 hour train ride (one way) to and from work. Then there is the thinking thrown time :). Why do you think i keep asking all these detailed questions on different factions for the past several months.

Your dang right the questions are hard. It really bugged me too, hence the over excessive reading of codexes to both understand the factions on how to play them and beat them.

I have a dream :) and that dream is to get 10 out of 10 for those questions :P.
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Team Tournament Quiz

Postby Rhysk » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:19 pm

It is true that in the past the quiz has covered individual army codices.

The Quiz has also covered the home worlds, names and iconography of each of the first founding legions.

Then there was the year you got to name 20 little known space marine chapters based on a shoulder pad.

Then there were the questions based on the Black Library books.

What then is the point?

The Team Tournament organizers reserve the entirety of the Warhammer 40K universe as potential quiz material.

The quiz is not open book, not open laptop, merely open brain.

It accounts for a mere 10 points (in many cases 2 or 3) but often times 1 or 2 points can mean a difference of 1 or 2 places and or award positioning.

So yes, study hard, and bring prepared minds.

Regards,

The TT Staff

P.S. Muhwe enjoys these type of threads because he is a cruel Baron. While the Baron will provide, there is always a cost....
Rhysk

Postby Brian » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:51 pm

If anyone cares, here are the questions and answers to the 2009 quiz:

Instructions:

One point for each correct answer.
Each question has only one correct answer and all answers are drawn from Warhammer 40,000 primary source material only (rulebooks, codices, Apocalypse, etc.)
You may not have any reference material (rulebooks, codex books, army lists) open during the quiz
You may not have any electronic devices out during the quiz.
You may not discuss answers with other teams during the quiz.
You have 10 minutes to finish the quiz.

1.) "Ask not for whom they seek, lest it be thyself." "They" in this quote is referring to whom/what?
A: The Officio Assassinorum
p107 WH40k 5th ed Hardcover 2008

2.) Complete this quote: "Orkses is never defeated in battle. If we win we win. If we die we die, so it don't count as defeat. If we runs for it we don't die neither, so _________________________________________!

A:we can always come back for anuvver go, see
NOTE: we will accept "another" or any such spelling instead of "anuvver" but the rest of the quote must be complete (including the "see" at the end!)
p54 WH40k Codex Imperialis (part of 2nd Edition boxed set) 1993

3.) Using the most current rule set how many points would the following unit cost?

4 Flash Gitz
-add one Painboy with Grot Orderly
-The 4 Flash Gitz have the "More Dakka" Upgrade
-3 ammo runts

A: 195 points
p103 WH40k Codex: Orks 2008

4.) A Concrete city building is considered to have an Armour Value of ____________.

A: 12
p79 WH40k 5th ed Hardcover 2008

5.) A Chimera is performing a ramming attack against the side armor of a Sky Ray Missile Defense Gunship and the Sky Ray fails to dodge. The Chimera moved 11" before it contacted the Sky Ray.
What strength hit does the Sky Ray sustain? ________________ What strength hit does the Chimera sustain? ______________ You must answer both blanks correctly to get the point. There's no partial credit!

A: Chimera inflicts: +1 for every full 3" that it moved (+3) and +1 for every point of armour above 10 on the point of impact (+2) and it is a tank (+1) for a total of 6.
Sky Ray inflicts: (+3) for the speed, (+2) for having side armour 12 and +1 for being a tank for a total of 6
p69 WH40k 5th ed Hardcover 2008

6.) Complete this quote and identify the individual who is cited as the source of the quote

"Strike fast and suddenly. Attack without warning. Secure victory before the foe is aware of the danger. Remember always, a war is easily won if your enemy does not know ___________________"
-Maxims of _________________________________

Again there is NO partial credit.

A: "he is fighting"
Lord General Solar Macharius
p91 WH40k 5th ed 2008

7.) What can be found at the summit of the Tower of Heroes in the Emperor's Palace?

A. The Bell of Lost Souls
p49 WH40k Codex Imperialis (part of 2nd Edition boxed set) 1993

8.) The original Eldar homeworld had 3 moons. One of these moons was nicknamed "The Red Moon" and was considered a portent of danger. What was the proper name of that moon?

A: Eldanesh
p62 WH40k Codex Imperialis (part of 2nd Edition boxed set) 1993

9.) A Grey Knight and a Cannoness have the same stat value in which characteristics? ________________

A: Sv (3+) and I (4) Their remaining stat values differ.

10.) The story of the assassination of the Daemon Primarch Konrad Kurze aka the "Night Haunter" by the Assassin M'Shen is commonly believed to be an allusion to what film? We are looking for the title of a REAL LIFE film here. ___________________

A:Apocalypse Now

Edit: The best wrong answer of the 2009 TT quiz was for question #7. Some team wrote "If it's in Chicago then most likely a Walgreens or a CVS" (or words to that effect.)
Brian

Postby Elthniar » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:01 pm

Have those been posted all this time?

I'm happy to know I got the Eldar question right; my teammates were giving me a little crap about that one last year because it took me a while to come up with the answer.
Elthniar

Postby Courtjester17 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:34 pm

I was on 1 of the 3 teams that tied with 5 correct answers and I have to say that was a very hard test. 2 of my teammates had been playing since RT era and myself for 10 years now and we just got lucky on a few that one of us knew it.

I look forward to this years test and hope its as diverse as last year.
Courtjester17

Postby moonshadow13 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:39 am

same here with the eldar question. My team mates literally said i better know that as they all hated eldar and i was the only one who plays them religously. As i read the histories i remeber teh names of the moons and the battles of their gods.

For the most part i just looked at it and stared blankly at it. I actually knew the ork saying too which was funny because i dislike them. It was just funny as their perspective on war is some what "different". I am sure they will come up with some good ones this year.

Oh yes i have been reading all the histories and historic battles with all their quotes as again it explains volumes on how to use the differnt factions in a army setup. So far i think my favorite codex is the witch hunters as the sisters of battle are a dangerous unique fighting force.
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Return to AdeptiCon 2010