Reaver Titan?

AdeptiCon 2010 will be held March 26th-28th, 2010 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL. Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) and start planning today!

Reaver Titan?

Postby YeezyMozart » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:57 pm

This is probably FAQed already but I had some questions I couldn't find answers to right away.

1) Is the reaver titan allowed in the gladiator this year? I couldn't find it on the list of models approved in the catalogue thing on the gladiator rules and info page.

2) If it is going to be an option in the gladiator how is the whole flyer trick going to play out this year. From what I heard someone just kept his flyers going back and forth in front of the reaver last year so nothing can assault the big guy or the flyers and in a way he forced armies to out shoot him, which anyone that has played a reaver can say it's an uphill fight. Good luck Angrath's.
YeezyMozart

Postby Elthniar » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:03 pm

1) Is the reaver titan allowed in the gladiator this year? I couldn't find it on the list of models approved in the catalogue thing on the gladiator rules and info page.

From the Gladiator rules:

"No models with more than four (4) structure points are allowed in the Gladiator Tournament."

So, no Reaver Titans allowed.

2) If it is going to be an option in the gladiator how is the whole flyer trick going to play out this year. From what I heard someone just kept his flyers going back and forth in front of the reaver last year so nothing can assault the big guy or the flyers and in a way he forced armies to out shoot him, which anyone that has played a reaver can say it's an uphill fight. Good luck Angrath's.

Also from Gladiator rules:

"Clarifications to the Flyer Rules will be provided via the INAT Apocalypse FAQ due out in January 2010."

So we will know more about this in a month or so. I would assume that this year you will be able to assault through a flyers base. You are correct about last years champion blocking his Reaver with flyers. There were actually a bunch of guys from Bell of Lost Souls that brought very similar lists and used this tactic: I played one of them myself.
Elthniar

Postby jon.wolf » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:40 am

You are incorrect about last year's champion blocking his Reaver with his Flyers. Last year's champion blocked one Wave Serpent rear door with a flyer in the last game of the tournament, to have done something evil with the flyers for the day. Last year's champion also shot a lot of tactical Marines with his fighter.

I know, becaue I'm him. I killed my opponents' Titans with Reaver Alpha Strikes on the first round of shots in all 4 games. (Warhound, Warhound, Reaver, Revenant). Yes, there were a lot of evil tricks to do with Flyers, but anyone who thinks that Flyers were crucial to me winning is simply incorrect. I killed 90+% of the models in every single game with the Reaver. Reavers are not fair in 40K with TLOS and no huge walls to ide behind.

I'm very glad that Reavers will not be allowed this year, as that much firepower is too much for skillful play to overcome, and I prefer good play to tricks. Which doesn't mean I won't use tricks in the Gladiator; I just prefer tricks that good generalship can deal with (and Reaver's aren't in that category).
Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene
jon.wolf

Postby Grippandosaurus-rex » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:25 am

I'm very glad that Reavers will not be allowed this year, as that much firepower is too much for skillful play to overcome, and I prefer good play to tricks. Which doesn't mean I won't use tricks in the Gladiator; I just prefer tricks that good generalship can deal with (and Reaver's aren't in that category).

Not that it stopped you from using one last year :lol:
If you ain't first, you're last
Grippandosaurus-rex

Postby Elthniar » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:33 am

You are incorrect about last year's champion blocking his Reaver with his Flyers. Last year's champion blocked one Wave Serpent rear door with a flyer in the last game of the tournament, to have done something evil with the flyers for the day. Last year's champion also shot a lot of tactical Marines with his fighter.

I know, becaue I'm him. I killed my opponents' Titans with Reaver Alpha Strikes on the first round of shots in all 4 games. (Warhound, Warhound, Reaver, Revenant). Yes, there were a lot of evil tricks to do with Flyers, but anyone who thinks that Flyers were crucial to me winning is simply incorrect. I killed 90+% of the models in every single game with the Reaver. Reavers are not fair in 40K with TLOS and no huge walls to ide behind.

Sorry, I didn't mean any offense by what I said. The Reaver guy I played was from BoLS and I knew you guys all came down together so I just sorta assumed you all were using the same tactic.

Also, I wasn't even trying to criticize it: I actually thought it was a neat trick (though I agree with you about good generalship).

And yes, no Reavers this year is a very good thing: they are simple too much for a 2250 point game.
Elthniar

Postby jon.wolf » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:54 am

Grippandosaurus-rex wrote:

Not that it stopped you from using one last year :lol:

Nope. Why bring a knife to a gunfight?
Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene
jon.wolf

Postby jon.wolf » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:02 am

Elthniar wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean any offense by what I said. The Reaver guy I played was from BoLS and I knew you guys all came down together so I just sorta assumed you all were using the same tactic.

Also, I wasn't even trying to criticize it: I actually thought it was a neat trick (though I agree with you about good generalship).

And yes, no Reavers this year is a very good thing: they are simple too much for a 2250 point game.

I didn't really take offense at the comment. I was concerned that the "Flyers being too powerful" myth will be perpetuated as some sort of truth, and we would end up with Reavers in again, as Reavers were 100% of the problem for any army without Angraath or Biotitans. Since we won't have that problem, changing Flyers is probably unnecessary.

If anyone wants to know the best single model for the rule set laid out this year, it's the Hierophant. Angraath will wreck 5 things on the other side of the board most games; the Hierophant should do at least twice that much damage. A Warhound is still a good bargain, though, and I'm expecting a good supply of those.
jon.wolf

Postby n00bzilla99 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:48 pm

Seeing that this year will not allow the Reaver Titan, I may actually consider participating! I was considering it last year until I saw that Reaver Titans were ok... at which point I was like, nope.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby Green Blow Fly » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:13 pm

Was there a rule last year that you were only supposed to field one unit with structure points?

G
Death is a door to a new beginning - take my hand and I will lead you there...
http://greenblowfly.blogspot.com
Green Blow Fly

Postby Elthniar » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:15 pm

Was there a rule last year that you were only supposed to field one unit with structure points?

If I remember correctly, you could only have one super heavy or gargantuan creature, same as it is this year. The only difference this year is the structure point limit of 4.
Elthniar

Postby Green Blow Fly » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:52 pm

So last year was it okay to bring two units with structure points?

G
Green Blow Fly

Postby Elthniar » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:00 pm

As long as one of them wasn't classified as a "supper-heavy", I think it was okay. But I am not aware of any vehicles with structure points that aren't super-heavy.
Elthniar

Postby Green Blow Fly » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:09 pm

There is an IG skimmer transport. The BoLS guys were running them with tehr Reavers. I think that all lists should be checked and approved ahead of time for 2010.

G
Green Blow Fly

Postby darkwynn » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:48 pm

GBF, they didn't have any other fliers with structure points.

The Flier was a arvus lighter which has no weapons and has no structure points.

Yes, list should be checked and approved but they didn't have anything illegal in them.
darkwynn

Postby Green Blow Fly » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:57 pm

Good to know and thank you for hte clarification. It's appreciated Nick.

G
Green Blow Fly

Next

Return to AdeptiCon 2010